Buying Archive footage... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Techniques for Independent Production
The challenges of creating Digital Cinema and other narrative forms.

Old May 29th, 2006, 09:27 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Buying Archive footage...

Hello

I am considering buying some stock footage to use in my short film. It’s going to be part of a Dream sequence and I wanted to show an exotic location. I would like to know if anyone has done this and what were the main problems.

But my main concern is that I wanted to know if this type of thing is looked down upon at film festivals, bearing in mind it’s only for a few seconds in a low budget short movie.

Any help is much appreciated
Simon Antoniou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2006, 06:19 PM   #2
Hawaiian Shirt Mogul

i wouldn't worry about it ..many projects use borrowed footage .. i have friends that make "found footage" films = they go out and find/buy super8/16 films at flea markets, they go to the garbage dumps, they buy contents of storage lockers when persons doesn't pay the rent - they then edit it together and enter festivals ... SO beware of that old film you toss away it could end up in a film ?
Don Donatello is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production