DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Techniques for Independent Production (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/techniques-independent-production/)
-   -   Here is your film look (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/techniques-independent-production/69502-here-your-film-look.html)

Riley Harmon June 13th, 2006 11:20 PM

Here is your film look

Here is your coveted film look. Mixture of After Effects DOF Simulation, image softening, and my own 24p method. Shot 60i with a Sony VX2000.
:-) Comments and criticisms appreciated.

www.rileyharmon.com/temp/pan61.mov

Glenn Chan June 14th, 2006 12:29 AM

Quote:

Comments and criticisms appreciated.
If you want to be picky, detail sort of gets blown out in the girl's shirt.

Should you care? I wouldn't really care too much... although it's fixable with lighting (use a net) or other methods. The footage looks great.

2- I'm ignoring the red bars... did the encode screw up there?

Marcus Marchesseault June 14th, 2006 07:02 AM

I think it looks good. The shirt detail only highlights a bit on one side. All the fabric shadows from folds and the collar are still fine. I am especially impressed since I have a VX2000 and that doesn't look at all like the camera's natural footage. How does AE give a shallow DOF effect?

Riley Harmon June 14th, 2006 09:30 AM

encoder didnt mess up, i purposly put red bars. its a promotional video for my college. so im using our colors! O----ooooooU!

Juan Parra June 15th, 2006 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Riley Harmon
Here is your coveted film look. Mixture of After Effects DOF Simulation, image softening, and my own 24p method. Shot 60i with a Sony VX2000.

sorry but narrow DoF and 24p are not filmlook.
It looks like video.

Work more on imaging softening and levels...

Bin Chen June 19th, 2006 02:33 PM

I don't get it...

it doesn't look like it came from film at all...

Rob Gregory-Browne June 19th, 2006 03:33 PM

Quote:

Riley, I'm especially impressed by the DOF simulation and would love to know your method.

rgb

Riley Harmon June 19th, 2006 06:41 PM

better shots coming, i was mainly displaying the dof and 24p, which dont account for all of film look

Tim Johnson June 20th, 2006 10:42 AM

according to the description of this forum 24p does stand as "film look"

"Frame Movie mode, 24p and other approaches to a cinematic feel."

i like the video, i think its well done. i do a very similar artificial shallow dof on some of my photos in photoshop.

Riley Harmon June 20th, 2006 11:16 PM

vx2000 www.rileyharmon.com/temp/sky_replacement.mov

Yasser Kassana June 21st, 2006 05:46 AM

Riley that last one was superb. Nice.

Juan Parra June 21st, 2006 10:07 AM

Quote:

this is very good.
although the 24p looks jerky at times...

i bet de-interlacing the 60i clip, and then encoding it at 15fps
will have a better filmlook...at least the jerkiness won't be
a distraction...

David Jimerson June 23rd, 2006 03:07 PM

I'm not sure there's enough going on in that clip to really judge. It doesn't look like harsh Sony 60i, but there's not enough motion to really appreciate the 24p cadence.

Nate Schmidt July 2nd, 2006 01:07 PM

Riley, that sky replacement was sick!

Simon Wyndham July 2nd, 2006 02:24 PM

I didn't watch the video, but I wish poeple would stop obsessing over blown out highlights. I can name numerous 35mm films with blown out highlights, and you know what? They were blown out on purpose, for artistic reasons.

So IMHO anyone who critcises 'filmlook' by the fact that there may be blown out highlights is talking, well, I'll let you insert a word or phrase there.