Insurance for a short film at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Techniques for Independent Production
The challenges of creating Digital Cinema and other narrative forms.

Old June 27th, 2006, 06:52 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Insurance for a short film

I did a quick search on "insurance" but didn't find alot of info, so maybe you guys could help me out.

We're putting together a short that will be a small, one-day shoot. We are using an operating theater as a location. We are using unpaid, non-union cast and crew, and there is no OPM involved.

What I'm trying to determine is what I should expect to budget for insurance, and if it is necissary for a production of this scale. Also, what role does the theater's insurance play?
http://2soc.net
Jason J. Gullickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2006, 11:15 AM   #2
Hawaiian Shirt Mogul

if you buy production insurance for one day - don't be surprised if you get quotes in the 2000-3000 range !!!! most of the time it less to buy insurance for a year ..

more the likely the theater doesn't want their insurance to play a role .. most location require a 1 mil liability certificate ...

if this is a for FUN project .. you might call your home/renters insurance and ask them if they can issue a floaters policy to cover the one day/year ... i carry floater year round for "fun" projects = approx $350 for couple million ..
usually on a "fun" project you cannot promise any $$, percent, deferred payment or any financial gain to anybody in return for their services .. if you do it is no longer a fun project but becomes a commercial/business project and for that you would need business insurance - still your home insurance might be able to issue you a floater ....

when i need production insurance i buy it for a year - approx 1200 for 1 mil liabilty a year on documentary - approx 1800 year for dramatic .. approx 4500 year for full production insurance ( not including workmans comp) ...
Don Donatello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2006, 12:28 PM   #3
Major Player

Jason,

I just got one-day general liability production insurance from the Allen Group. It was surprisingly easy and quick to get set up. The price was around $500.

I shopped around and what I found was interesting was that all of the agents all use the same insurance on the back-end, so the quotes were all pretty much the same, except different agents charged different agent fees.

The bottom end is almost always $500, whether you need insurance for a day or for a week. To that you can add workman's comp for a few dollars, and insurance on your equipment, etc.

You generally need insurance to shoot on any public property, and many private locations will insist you have it as well.

Do look into a full year's policy. I suspect it's not too much more than a day or week.

Josh
Joshua Provost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2006, 07:05 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks for all the info guys.

I got the quotes back that I requested and the range was $500 - $750 just like you all said above. I was surprised, because I have a friend who does general videography and he pays $600/year, but again, that's what you all said above.

So it looks like I'll be taking out a yearly policy in the near future.

Out of curiosity, what does this sort of thing usually cover? Does it only cover damages that the named insured's cause, or does it somehow provide an umbrella for everything in the "production"?
http://2soc.net
Jason J. Gullickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2006, 12:54 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Jason, could you enlighten us as to who you ended up going with? I'm looking at getting yearly insurance too, but have no contacts yet (other than the Allen Group that Joshua suggested).
Old June 28th, 2006, 04:59 PM   #6
Major Player

The policy covers destruction to people and property. The named insured is who is really covered. They get to file a claim if you break their stuff.

The yearly policy your friend has may just cover insuring his equipment. For instance, I can add my equipment to my homeowners policy relatively cheap. Actual general liability production insurance is a different thing entirely, and it won't cover your equipment unless you specifically opt for equipment coverage.

I believe you can also get general liability for your business, and that may be acceptable to various locations, provided it's for the right amount (usually $1M), and you can cut a certificate of insurance with their name on it.
Joshua Provost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2010, 06:03 PM   #7
Major Player

You can add Workmans Comp for a few dollars????
The insurance company i talked to for a short film said it was about $1500 for up to 15 people, can you tell me more'? i'll also check out their website, thanks in advance!
Silas Barker is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production