premiere pro 2.0 to convert 30fps to 24p at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Techniques for Independent Production
The challenges of creating Digital Cinema and other narrative forms.

Old October 2nd, 2006, 07:16 AM   #1
Major Player

premiere pro 2.0 to convert 30fps to 24p

Hi, I have a canon xl1s and I shoot on 30 frames per second frame mode. Could anyone give me a guide or a link as to where I can find out what other pieces of software I need to convert to 24p? Also do you think that the finished article would look as good as for example 24p footage shot on a panasonic dvx-100?
thanks in advance
David J. Payne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2006, 08:07 AM   #2
Wrangler

If you just want to change the frame rate without interpolating, resulting in a slight slow motion, it is easy to do from PPro without any additional software.

If you want to keep realtime speed, which means creating interpolated frames, it could be done in PPro with frame blending but would give you less than optimal results. After Effects 7 or one of its competitors that also have sophisticated motion-mapping algorithms to improve the frame interpolation process will give much better results.
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2006, 01:04 PM   #3
Trustee

MotionPerfect from Dynapel (www.dynapel.com) gives amazing slow-motion results using interpolation, by the way.
Old October 3rd, 2006, 02:33 AM   #4
Major Player

thanks guys. I am not really interested in slow motion results, more creating the jagged film like effect that 30fps does to a certain extent but not as well as 24fps. I also have after effects 7. What should I look for in PPro or After Effects to get this effect?
Old October 3rd, 2006, 11:59 AM   #5
Wrangler

In AE7, the effect is called Timewarp. Takes a little practice to understand the settings, and is VERRRRRY CPU intensive. Long render times...not something you'd want to do for multiple, lengthy clips.
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2006, 03:57 PM   #6
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Payne
Also do you think that the finished article would look as good as for example 24p footage shot on a panasonic dvx-100?
Unfortunately not. 30i to 24p maybe but since you're starting with progressive footage a 24p downconvert will look pretty bad.
Old October 3rd, 2006, 10:19 PM   #7
Jubal 28

PP 2.0 will convert 60i to 24p, but it's severely hampered because it only offers one type of field interpolation -- blending fields. The result is that there will be a ghosting around anything moving. It's not an ideal situation for conversion.

DVFilm Maker and Magic Bullet are stand-alone products which both do a good job of the 60i/24p conversion.

After Effects can do it, too.

But no matter what you use, no, the result will not be as good as if you had shot native 24p with a 24p camera. Resolution will suffer.

And as Ben says, 30p (Frame mode isn't really 30p, but it's close enough for this) to 24p makes for a horrible conversion no matter what you use. Best just to stick with what you've got.
David Jimerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2006, 01:48 AM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Winter
Unfortunately not. 30i to 24p maybe but since you're starting with progressive footage a 24p downconvert will look pretty bad.
Would I get better effects if I shoot the footage in normal mode (I think it's 60i?) on the xl1 as opposed to frame mode?
Old October 4th, 2006, 07:43 AM   #9
Jubal 28

Yes. 60i to 24p works.

Remember, though, if you're shooting 60i and planning to convert to 24p, you have to move the camera as if you're shooting 24p -- which means, sloooooowly. Slow pans. Slow zooms.
David Jimerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2006, 02:12 AM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Jimerson
Yes. 60i to 24p works.

Remember, though, if you're shooting 60i and planning to convert to 24p, you have to move the camera as if you're shooting 24p -- which means, sloooooowly. Slow pans. Slow zooms.
Ok David I'll remember that. And when I have the footage ready to convert should I use premiere or after effects? Am I right in saying the frame blend someone mentioned is in premiere. How does it work, just choose ur intended output frame rate and render?
thanks.
David 2
Old October 5th, 2006, 12:24 PM   #11
Trustee

You can use After Effects, but believe me when I say there's nothing like DVFilm Maker. Converts like nobody's business. I have 24p FX1 footage here that looks almost indistinguishable from the 60i in terms of resolution. A little fuzzier but this is some fantastic footage.

If you look at my blog a few posts back we have an 18 second clip of 60i FX1 footage converted to 24p. The post entitled "A quick peek into the footage". A great look.
Old October 9th, 2006, 02:37 AM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Winter
You can use After Effects, but believe me when I say there's nothing like DVFilm Maker. Converts like nobody's business. I have 24p FX1 footage here that looks almost indistinguishable from the 60i in terms of resolution. A little fuzzier but this is some fantastic footage.

If you look at my blog a few posts back we have an 18 second clip of 60i FX1 footage converted to 24p. The post entitled "A quick peek into the footage". A great look.
Ben, I'd like to see that but I'm not sure how to find it. I've searched through the last 6 pages of your posts and done a general search but nothing. Could you provide me with a link?
thanks
David J. Payne is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production