Pitching movies to particular networks? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production

Techniques for Independent Production
The challenges of creating Digital Cinema and other narrative forms.

Old October 2nd, 2006, 09:11 AM   #1
Major Player

Pitching movies to particular networks?

This has probably been discussed in other threads, but my use of the search function didn't turn up....

here's the scenario:
I'm working on a film that I think would appeal to a particular demographic - women. The subject is domestic abuse with the main character a white middle class woman in her 20s.

I was thinking of the channels that are marketed toward women -Lifetime, WE, etc,etc. Does it make sense to approach them directly about showing the film? Or is it just not done that way?

Or is it simply a matter of 'if the movie's genuinely good, and I can pitch very, very well' who knows what's possible?
Dennis Stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2006, 09:16 AM   #2
Major Player

You don't say whay "working on a film" means -- writing a script? in production?

The usual route is to secure representation by an agent known to production companies or the networks who can take your project to the appropriate outlet.
Peter Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2006, 10:04 AM   #3
Major Player

In production is what I mean. We have a script, we're auditioning actors, I'm directing.

So it's not an issue of finding a production company, it would be here's my movie, do you want to show it.

My thoughts currently are to show it on the film festival circuit, and in lieu of the elusive distribution deal, sell the dvds ourselves.

But I thought with the subject matter, I would leave no stone unturned as to how to market it.
Dennis Stevens is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production