DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Techniques for Independent Production (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/techniques-independent-production/)
-   -   Producing for the web (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/techniques-independent-production/76951-producing-web.html)

Lisa Bennett October 6th, 2006 07:14 AM

Producing for the web

I have several projects I'd like to complete and place on the internet. In regards to the length of each project, I'm thinking maybe 15 - 30 minutes tops. Getting some sponsors is also something I'd like to do but I'm guessing this can be a real headache just trying to locate interested companies.

Anyone have some insight into the run time for internet projects? Or, info on the success or failure of placing a 15 second - 30 second ad within the framework of the program? Revenue options? One ad of course would not be a big price but over a period of time/impressions it might add up.

Interested in hearing from others that are producing projects for the net.

Best,
Lisa

Jon Fairhurst October 6th, 2006 02:53 PM

Time is compressed on the web. Fifteen second ads are twice as good as thirties, and ten is even better.

For content, I'd stick with five minute segments or less - even if the overall piece is longer. If you're using progressive download, rather than streaming, this helps reduce the bandwidth used - you don't want somebody to download a thirty minute video just to have them watch a minute or two, decide they're not interested and surf away. Also, by requiring subsequent clicks, you'll get feedback on how long people stick around to watch your stuff.

Lisa Bennett October 9th, 2006 05:20 AM

Producing for the Web

Hi Jon,

Thanks for the info. Most do surf around and getting them to stick around a site is key on the net. I have a true story doc project and thought about shooting a short video and then putting it on the net to get some interest. Hope to find a site that might have interest in it or just put it up myself and do some type of promotion to get it some attention and then do it as a bigger project. Finding the time to get it done is another thing.

Thanks again.
Lisa

Richard Alvarez October 9th, 2006 06:17 AM

Lisa,

I have a doc, "American Jouster" which is an hour long project. www.americanjouster.com It's being distributed by an international catalogue, and I sell it through my web page as well. I cut a one minute trailer for it, which is posted on the webpage, but you can also find it on my myspace, iklipz and youtube. It helps generate interest and sales. In addition to the one minute trailer, I have a short 'mini-doc' cut out of it, that is three minutes long. It's called 'First Fall' I've posted that on the web as well. Is this the sort of 'viral' marketing you are looking for? If so, it's simple, free and easy.

Lisa Bennett October 9th, 2006 07:36 AM

Hi Richard,

I saw your one minute trailer. It was great and yes just what I've been thinking about. Get it made and then leave something on Youtube or other sites to gain interest/sales. Glad to know it is working for you. I need to check out iklipz, this one is new to me.

The catalogue, is it a catalogue geared toward your subject or a video sales catalogue of some sort?

Best,
Lisa

Richard Alvarez October 9th, 2006 08:34 AM

The catalogue is Museum Replicas, the largest marketer of period weapons, costumes and stuff in the world. Their catalogue is distributed across the globe, and they order from me every few months or so. It's been doing well.

I've been approached by a number of documentary distributors, wanting to 'carry' the doc on their websites. I'm not convinced, at this point, that that is what I want to do. You can email me offline if you would like to discuss why.

Richard

Irena Macri October 25th, 2006 11:42 PM

I recomend making it an FLV file (Flash Video File). 85% users have flash player, and FLV's codec gives the best quality for the smallest file size comparing to Windows Media Video .wmv files or other typical video files. Plus flash video files can be easily played on both Macs and Pcs.

Keep it to under 5 minutes as was mentioned already.

There is a really good software called Sorenson Squeeze for PCs. That allows you to drop you files and compress them to multiple settings for web. Not sure how much it is but it's a good investment if you'll be dealing with video for web.

Cheers

Lisa Bennett October 26th, 2006 06:05 PM

Thank you for the info on the software program. I wasn't aware of it. I'll have to check into it.

Appreciate the information on the flash files, too.

Best Regards,
Lisa

Jon Fairhurst October 26th, 2006 06:51 PM

Sorenson Squeeze isn't required - Flash comes with a built-in encoder - but the squeeze app offers more options, including two-pass encoding. But Flash alone will get you going.

The codec is from On2. They make their own encoder as well. When I looked into their products six months ago or so, Squeeze offered more options than the On2 product. That's not necessarily still the case.

For sure, Flash is the most ubiquitous way to provide video to the browser, whether encoded with Flash, Squeeze or On2.