frame mode and 1/30 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Techniques for Independent Production
The challenges of creating Digital Cinema and other narrative forms.

Old March 13th, 2003, 09:18 PM   #1
Regular Crew

frame mode and 1/30

I am shooting a singer/guitarist this weekend as he performs live. I am (of course) hoping to make it look as much like film as possible. I read, online, someome's shooting journal that mentioned shooting a band perfom with the shutter speed at 1/30 "for a film look". Would this be compatible with frame mode, or is frame mode most effective at 1/60? I will be cutting on AVID express DV. Any input would be helpful and appreciated.

_steven
Steven Moreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2003, 04:16 AM   #2
Trustee

Steve,

Unfortunately, the digital slow shutter speeds are not available in frmae mode. This kinda bites the big one and will hopefully they will be available on the XL2.

For you shoot, I'd go with frame mode and 1/60. You didn't mention if you will have control over the lighting. If you do, I'd shoot at -3dB on the gain and light for the correct exposure. I've shot bands like that before and the results are quite nice. Especially if you set your white balance a little warm.
Adrian Douglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2003, 05:55 AM   #3
Outer Circle

You could shoot in interlaced, and with a warming filter like a Tiffen Black Pro Mist 3. If the lighting is poor, set the shutter at 1/60 or even 1/30---but use a tripod and don't pan, tilt or zoom, or do it very slowly, if you must. That's what I would do. Perhaps use some creative angles. This, along with a warming filter will give you "the look."
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2003, 09:32 AM   #4
Slash Rules!

Are you saying you can't actually set the shutter to 1/30 in Frame mode, or that it doesn't actually do anything if you do? I've shot in frame mode at 1/30 back when I thought that was the standard video shutter speed.
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2003, 02:54 AM   #5
Trustee

Josh,

You can't set the shutter speed to 1/30 in Frame Mode. In Auto[A], the digital shutter speed flashes in the view finder as [SLOW.S] but cannot be selected. In the other modes it doesn't even show in the view finder. The only digital effects available in Frame Mode are the fade trigger [FADE-T] and the digital zoom [D.ZOOM].

If you want to use the digital slow shutter effects the you have to use Normal movie mode. The use of a softening filter, as suggested by Frank, is good for producing a film-like look, but they take a bit of getting used to.
Old March 16th, 2003, 03:14 AM   #6

Are you using the older XL1 or the newer XL1S?

With the XL1S, I often times shoot at 1/30th sec in Frame Mode, for example when I want to gain a stop or so in exposure.

I will also typically create a custom preset and boost the chroma a tad, goose down the sharpness slightly and crush the blacks a wee bit.

You can do this with the GL2 as well.

- don
CREATE and NETWORK with http://www.bosfcpug.org
and also http://fcpugnetwork.org
Don Berube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2003, 07:23 PM   #7
Trustee

I'm using the original XL1. I didn't know the slower shutter speeds were available on the XL1s. I guess I will stand corrected.
Old March 19th, 2003, 05:11 AM   #8
Regular Crew

I shot it over the weekend and I am very pleased with the results. I actually used one XL1S and two XL1's. I shot in frame mode, 1/60, and took some good advice and white balanced slightly warm. The only difficulty was the audio, and not too bad, at that. Thank you all again.

_steven
Steven Moreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2003, 12:00 PM   #9
Air China Pilot

I'd like to see clips of this.
Old March 19th, 2003, 04:23 PM   #10
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Adrian Douglas : I'm using the original XL1. I didn't know the slower shutter speeds were available on the XL1s. I guess I will stand corrected. -->>>

Adrian, I successfully used 1/30 in frame mode on my XL1S this past weekend. 1/15 and 1/8 are also available in Frame mode. Mine works perfectly well at slow shutter speeds, though I have not yet found a practical use for them! :) In time!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production