9:04 AM, my second feature at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production

Techniques for Independent Production
The challenges of creating Digital Cinema and other narrative forms.

Old November 5th, 2006, 09:50 PM   #1
MPS Digital Studios

9:04 AM, my second feature

We shot the film in 13 1/2 days and, amazingly, the second-to-last day saw us shooting 15 (!) pages, including two driving scenes and two scenes with a Steadicam. My crew was incredibly fast and talented, led by Director of Photography Jon Fordham.

I learned a lot on this film, esp. since my first feature, Skye Falling, was shot dogme 95-style in 1999 on an XL1, at least a full year before digital cinema was embraced. I feel I have grown as a writer and director, and that one should only shoot a feature with a solid cast and crew, and one should do it consecutively (Skye was shot on my days off and nights for 2 months, with a 10 day marathon that saw about 1/2 being shot.)

We planned it well, but I didn't hire an A.D. until the first day of production. I also wish I had a more dedicated sound crew instead of just one guy. Lastly, on my next feature, which should shoot late 2007/early 2008 (much sooner than 9:04 AM--that sucker took 9.5 years to get to production!), I'll be hiring a UPM and a Line Producer, depending on the budget.

But remember, my cast was incredible and my crew were extremely talented and more than willing to kick ass on set.

I'm cutting the movie now, shot on the Z1u in 50i with CineFrame 25. I captured all the tapes vs. logging and capturing, because I have a dedicated 300 gb drive (already need another) and my scripty took good notes and timecodes.

The rough cut, believe it or not, took only 3 days, partially because of the capturing of all tapes and scripty notes, but also because after years of working in TV news as a tape editor and a Creative Services producer, I got pretty fast. And I can finally say that Final Cut Pro works for me instead of vice versa. When I cut Skye, FCP had come out just a few months prior, and I'd never cut non-linear before. So the two months to get a rough cut was partly due to the learning curve.

We had a test screening last night and I am going to do some further editing and we'll shoot some more establishing shots. Then another test screening and more polishing, soundtrack, sound editing/design, color correction, f/x and then, it will hopefully be done. My goal is a premiere in the spring 2007.

For more on the film, visit www.904am.com where I've been blogging for 6 years now. And for more on my films, visit www.mpsdigital.com.

Thanks,

heath
Old November 5th, 2006, 10:01 PM   #2
Wrangler

Congratulations on the movie, Heath. And may I say, you are the hyperlink king.
Old November 5th, 2006, 10:16 PM   #3
MPS Digital Studios

Yes I am! Gotta give props. And once I learned hyperlinking, I couldn't turn back!!

heath
Old November 5th, 2006, 11:20 PM   #4
Major Player

Congrats, Heath! I can't wait to see it! I would agree, you are the hyperlink King. ;) It sounds/looks like you got your self a great cast and crew for the film. I am sure that is something to be proud of.

~Gabriel~
Old November 6th, 2006, 09:27 AM   #5
MPS Digital Studios

I've cut down on the hyperlinks, lol. Anyway, I have an old friend taking a look (or a listen, I should say) to my audio to help with re-mixing, etc. I am also "auditioning" indie, unsigned bands for the soundtrack, since I want to go with that kind sound for the film, as opposed to a traditional score.

If anyone here is into Soundgarden, Franz Ferdinand, Radiohead, Air, etc., and is in a band, is a solid solo artist, or knows anyone that fits that bill, contact me via my email link, here on DVinfo.

Thanks,

heath
Old November 8th, 2006, 04:00 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Hi Heath,

I found the perfect music for 9:04. (Check out post #22.)
http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...036#post449036

There are many composers over there. Most are into orchestral and electronic, but we were all guitarists originally. ;) On post #23, I forwarded your request for music...

Best of luck with the soundtrack.
Old November 8th, 2006, 04:07 PM   #7
MPS Digital Studios

Jon,

Thanks for the recommendations, I will check them out.

heath
Old November 8th, 2006, 09:25 PM   #8
Major Player

Congrats Heath. I met you at the Sony/VASST thing in Miami this past January and I remember you talking about it. Glad it came together for you!!
Wade Spencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2006, 09:42 PM   #9
MPS Digital Studios

Hey Wade,

The Miami show was the last on our tour, and it was a blast to have it near my house (if you call around 75 miles "near," grin) and, of course, it was great to teach with Spot there and on the tour.

It took a lot of time to get the movie before the camera, and a short 14 days (it flew by) to shoot it. In some ways, it's funny how 9 years of working on it (and other projects) led to 14 days. Heh heh heh.

heath
Old November 8th, 2006, 09:51 PM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heath McKnight
In some ways, it's funny how 9 years of working on it (and other projects) led to 14 days. Heh heh heh.

heath
It would be even funnier if you had named it 9:14, eh? :-)
Wade Spencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2006, 09:53 PM   #11
MPS Digital Studios

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Spencer
It would be even funnier if you had named it 9:14, eh? :-)
Lol!

hwm
Old November 13th, 2006, 11:44 PM   #12
MPS Digital Studios

Teaser trailer

Teaser trailer:

http://www.904am.com/clips.php

or

www.myspace.com/904am

I may do a little touching up, but not bad for a guy who can't do trailers well! Years ago, I wrote and shot a trailer for my film Skye Falling which was original material NOT from the film. Find it here.

heath
Old April 8th, 2007, 07:21 PM   #13
MPS Digital Studios

The trailer:

http://www.904am.com/clips_play.php?id=17

Also, for those of you in South Florida, the movie is premiering at the Palm Beach International Film Festival.

April 21st, 9 PM
Sunrise Cinemas
Mizner Park in Boca Raton, Florida

Hope to see some of you there!

heath
Old April 10th, 2007, 03:34 AM   #14
Trustee

Seeing as Palm Beach is 5,000 miles away from here, I doubt I'll make the showing. Regardless, congratulations! Just completing a feature is a huge accomplishment and it's nice to have that recognized by showing in a film festival. I hope to do the same some day.
Marcus Marchesseault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2007, 06:30 AM   #15
MPS Digital Studios

I'm sure you will, Marcus, and thanks. I'm going to try and get into a Hawaiian film festival!

heath

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production