DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Techniques for Independent Production (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/techniques-independent-production/)
-   -   Financer credits (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/techniques-independent-production/80159-financer-credits.html)

Matthew Overstreet November 21st, 2006 10:39 PM

Financer credits

Hey everyone, another question for you all ...

Do investors usually get credit in feature films? If you had, say ... ten individuals who invested a significant portion of money to your film, and they wanted to be credited, how would you go about it? I'd imagine ten individuals would mean too many producer credits, so how else would you do it?

Matt

Nate Weaver November 21st, 2006 10:56 PM

I'd push for Special Thanks, or for a financier who was particularly active, maybe Executive Producer.

Real producers who do it for a living get bummed out when people who AREN'T producers get the same credit for a different role in the product.

Money men definitely deserve credit, just try to put it in the right place.

Don Donatello November 22nd, 2006 01:52 PM

you might give the group a name (ie: green ben group ) and then list each under it .. depending on how much $$ or percent of you budget - you could give the group name EXE. producer credit at front credits ..then list who is in group end credits...

yes you have to give some kind of credit because it is a bummer not getting any acknowlegement at all ...
about 10 years ago i "gave" ( as in gift) 10,000ft of 16mm to a doc project, loaned them camera, paid for processing and workprint . they shot total of 16,000ft.. project was never finished ... in Jan 2006 i ran into the person in LA - i then paid ( as in gift) to telecine 7500ft so they could edit digital ...
when i was in LA 2 weeks ago i saw the edited 60min project - guess who was not mentioned in credits !!!
yesterday i received a voice mail asking if i could help out with dubs/DVDs...
will not be returning that call ( period).

Heath McKnight November 28th, 2006 11:29 AM

The biggest investors get Executive Producer credit on my films, or if one person raised money from different sources, that person gets the credit. Special Thanks to the others in the end credits.

For my latest flick, I gave myself and my wife credit, since we're paying for it. Two other people are co-E.P.s for additional money.

heath

Richard Alvarez November 28th, 2006 01:22 PM

Wow Don, that has to feel like crap. I hope you recieved some good karma for your efforts nonetheless.

I'd ditto what others have said. Executive Director for a head fundraiser, primary funder or two. If ten people all chipped in small or equal ammounts, I've given SPECIAL THANKS credits at the end. You can set them off appropriately as well. "SPECIAL THANKS" - Financial contributors - Bob, Sue, Sharon, Tom etc. Keep them seperate from Louie's Catering and Bob's Florists for their in kind donations. UNLESS YOU HAVE PROMISED a particular credit up front,there' s no hard and fast rule, just try and treat people as YOU would like to be treated.

Paul R Johnson November 28th, 2006 02:03 PM

associate producer is fairly common in the uk for these people

Richard Alvarez November 28th, 2006 02:14 PM

Paul,

Ever seen the movie "State and Main"? It's a great David Mamet script about independent filmmaking. Very funny, very very dry. ONe of the gags in the film is how they hand out 'Associate producer' credits to virtually everyone. Bring me a sandwich, and I'll make you an associate producer. The funniest thing about the movie though....

Is the endless list of Associate Prodcuer credits at the end!!!

Heath McKnight November 28th, 2006 03:56 PM

When I was in film school years ago, our teachers told us that sometimes it's the Producer's girlfriend or boyfriend, and on big budgets, they get paid to do nothing!

heath

Emre Safak November 29th, 2006 12:56 PM

I was also going to suggest Associate Producer; that is what I do.

Brandt Wilson November 29th, 2006 04:59 PM

How might this fit in with a credit of "in cooperation with" before the title?

I remember that in the movie Dagon there were several state agencies that were partnered to finance the project, and that they were all mentioned in the consortium of associated companies.