Diffusion Filter for outdoors at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Techniques for Independent Production
The challenges of creating Digital Cinema and other narrative forms.

Old November 29th, 2006, 07:54 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Diffusion Filter for outdoors

Hi, I'm new to the forum but I read it for a while. I'm waiting to receive my V1 and was reading about how much diffucion filters were good tools to achieve a certain look.

I'll mostly shoot outdoors near rivers, forests, mountains and snow. I would like to have advices on which type of filter use to have a "dreamy" look. Should I use ND filter and a diffusion filter with iris wide open ?

Any advices welcome, Thanks
Philippe Dionne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2006, 08:13 PM   #2
Wrangler

I'd suggest experimenting with your camera all by itself for starters and not buying any filters just yet. There are a lot of things you can do by setting picture profile and menu options on the V1. Then there are a lot of other things you can do with software after shooting.

I'd be careful with diffusion filters; if you play with them then be sure to hook up a HD monitor to the camera and observe the effect. The little LCD screen on the camera isn't high enough resolution to show you exactly what's happening.

What software are you using? If you're on the Mac then check out Joe's Filters for Final Cut Pro, you can download a free trial package. I like his diffusion filter: http://www.joesfilters.com/joes_diffuser
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2006, 09:51 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks for advice. When I'll receive the cam I'll play with these settings. I'll be on a pc.. but it's still an interesting post production tip.
Thanks
Philippe Dionne is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production