Best free de-interlacer for HDV? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production

Techniques for Independent Production
The challenges of creating Digital Cinema and other narrative forms.

Old November 30th, 2006, 09:46 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Best free de-interlacer for HDV?

Hello everyone.

I'm making a movie and have shot HDV material, which I edit native in Adobe Premiere 2.0. The material is 1080 x 1440 50i.
I'd like to know what is the BEST free, comparatively easy to use de-interlacer available. AspectHD is ruled out, as I edit native HDV.
Nikolaj
Nikolaj Marquez von Hage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2006, 03:28 AM   #2
Major Player

I'd like to know too.

I've used FCP 5.1 deinterlace, but that doubles the horizontal lines if I'm not mistaken - looks fine, still you look at the detail that goes missing.. don't want to loose half my vertical resolution when it's already HDV.

Anyhow?
Robert Ducon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2006, 09:59 PM   #3
Major Player

I've had very good results with the Alparysoft Deinterlacer running in VirtualDub. They have versions for Premiere and After Effects too, I think, but I haven't used them. While not free, it costs $25 which is pretty darn cheap. If you're editing HDV you can afford the $25... :)

Bill
William Gardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2006, 03:02 AM   #4
Regular Crew

i also heard good things about the 'mpeg streamclip' never used it for deinterlacing, but I believe it's free and it works well
Old December 11th, 2006, 02:48 PM   #5
Major Player

I need an in-FCP plug in - thanks for the tips though! I have too much footage - I can't edit and then export, deinterlace, and then reimport all at 1920x1080 at 8-bit uncompressed.

Okay, so not free..

What is the best "smart" deinterlacer out there, for the Macintosh that plugs into FCP? When I say smart, I mean I want something that uses the two frames and merges them "smartly" from 60i into 30p without throwing away half the frames and then just doubling the lines of resolution. (That'd be a dumb interlacer, and I'm afraid that's what the current stock FCP 5 one does, right?)
Robert Ducon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2006, 12:36 AM   #6
Major Player

Nicolaj, you can use Virtual Dub which is free. You can download 'smart deinterlacer' plugin from neuron2.net. It does a pretty good job.

You can download a VDub 60i to 60p (or 50i to 50p) plugin from here: http://www.geocities.com/headlesspup...f/vdub_60p.zip
Old January 12th, 2007, 12:33 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Avisynth and MCBob

Definitely not easy-to-use. Also quite slow. However, its completely free and the image quality is the best deinterlacing I've ever seen by far.
Old February 22nd, 2007, 09:53 PM   #8
Major Player

I went out and bought Nattresses G Film plug in. Looks nice, but, honestly, it just doesn't bring UP the footage the way I've seen in Magic Bullet and other very expensive suites. I like it, and glad I have it, but I will upgrade when I get a chance.

Deinterlacing isn't transparent - leaves horizontal artifacts, and the 24P isn't useful for footage that'll be seen on a computer - works fine at full speed on a TV monitor though.
Old February 24th, 2007, 11:48 AM   #9
Inner Circle

This is another way to deinterlace 60i to 60p, using AVISynth and VirtualDub:

http://www.guthspot.se/video/#deinterlacesmooth

I've used this, and the results can be quite pleasing.
Robert M Wright is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production