DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Techniques for Independent Production (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/techniques-independent-production/)
-   -   does anyone know how you do that? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/techniques-independent-production/80793-does-anyone-know-how-you-do.html)

David Cummings December 1st, 2006 10:35 PM

does anyone know how you do that?

theres this effect I've seen in quite a few movies, comercials etc.. where a character is walking or doing something in slow motion in the foreground and the background scene is sped up. is green screening the only way to achieve this? thanks

Jon Fairhurst December 2nd, 2006 01:54 AM

Greenscreening is the practical way to do it. It sure beats painting a mask frame by frame!

Cody Lucido December 2nd, 2006 09:18 AM

Or you can do it the indie down and dirty way. Have your actor move in super slow motion, than when you speed up the footage, they appear to be going regular speed and the background is speeded up.

Richard Alvarez December 2nd, 2006 09:27 AM

David,

Are you reffering to the INSURANCE commercial, where the commentator is walking around and THROUGH an accident in progress? Yeah, that's a really nice effect. Can't remember the name of the insurance company though... so I'm not so sure it's a good AD.

Brian Farris December 2nd, 2006 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard Alvarez
David,

Are you reffering to the INSURANCE commercial, where the commentator is walking around and THROUGH an accident in progress? Yeah, that's a really nice effect. Can't remember the name of the insurance company though... so I'm not so sure it's a good AD.

I think that's an Allstate commercial.

David Cummings December 2nd, 2006 06:14 PM

thanks

yeah I figured the background and foreground would have to be layered. this isn't for anything specific, I just wanted a chance to mess around with it. I think I'm gonna give cody's suggestion a try. I guess its time to practice slo-mo in front of the mirror haha. thanks

Ben Winter December 3rd, 2006 11:32 PM

Yeh that ad caught my eye because of that effect--and it's the opposite of what was originally discussed here, the background is in slow motion while the actor is at normal speed.

Ken Diewert December 4th, 2006 11:34 AM

Somewhere on this board there was a short, filmed in a Paris subway that had the effect that you're talking about. Two actors were moving regular speed, while the rest of the subway people whizzed by. It was shot with the two actors moving super slow, then sped up, so that they were appearing normal. It was pretty cool.

I'll try to find it.

Donovan Cerminara March 14th, 2007 04:23 AM

Old-school time ramping...

Anyone seen the music video "The Box" by Orbital? Shot on film, it´s an epic (and award winning, if i recall) little music video of a woman walking through a ´future´world, and it races away while she creeps through it all...

Testament to the power of a dedicated actor and intelligent framing...