How to use virtual dub for 24p at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Techniques for Independent Production
The challenges of creating Digital Cinema and other narrative forms.

Old December 9th, 2006, 01:31 AM   #1
Regular Crew

How to use virtual dub for 24p

Hey all,

I've checked out http://www.virtualdub.org/ and been confused as of where to start to aquire the 24p look that you can do with the program from standard video. I've used the demo of dv filmmaker, is using virtual dub this easy as well? Can anyone fill me in on the process from point A to B?

Thank you kindly

Luke
Luke McMillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2006, 12:36 PM   #2
Trustee

still want to know or were you able to figure it out?
Old December 14th, 2006, 01:25 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Well, I'm a newbie to all this. But today, I took a Huffy AVI file into Virtualdub, added de-interlace, and did a framerate conversion to 24fps (IVTC) and brought that back into Vegas on a 24fps (IVTC) timeline. I was quite pleased with the look. The video had a lot of quick pans, and action, and fairly saturated color, and it came out very nicely.

It wasn't shot like film, so I didn't expect it to look like film, but it was a lot nicer than that ugly 60i, high speed shutter stuff than I started with.
Perrone Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2006, 12:30 AM   #4
Major Player

Hey Perone, don't you get a jitter in moving/panning?

I did the same thing with some footage I had with fast panning and it jitters a lot cos VDub seems to be chopping off frames instead of blending them. This is why I was trying to make my own 24p filter after I've done a 60p one (also for Virtual Dub). But it's proving harder.
Old December 17th, 2006, 12:14 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Hey,

I am still unable to figure out, what to exactly download, and what basic steps I do in what order for getting a 24p look, I'm going to do my colour correction and adjust brightness/darkness in adobe premiere elements.

Thanks
Luke
Luke McMillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2006, 01:21 AM   #6
Major Player

http://aqua-web.dyndns.org/avisynth_24p.php
John McManimie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2006, 02:40 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Actually no. I did some more work tonight with some pretty organic stuff. A beach scene with two girls walking out into the water with the small waves crashing in their feet. Video was smooth and nice.

I was doing some color grading tests so I needed something with strong light to make it work.

I also have some soccer game footage, and the pans "smear" like I would expect anything shot with a slow frame-rate to. But I didn't get jitters.

So here's the work flow.

1. Import 60i onto Vegas 29.97 timeline.
2. Clean-up, color correct, etc.
3. Export lossless AVI
4. In VirtualDub select filter, de-interlace, blend fields (best) Edit: Because I have not used AVISynth, I have not done the Bob stuff. That is my task for next week. If all goes well, I'll have MUCH cleaner video.
5. Change framerate (type in 23.976)
6. Save AVI xxxx_24p
7. Open new timeline in Vegas (24p IVTC)
8. Render to .mov, .mpg, .wmv, or whatever.

Then again, maybe I don't know what I'm doing and i just looks ok to me! :)

-P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Ferdinand
Hey Perone, don't you get a jitter in moving/panning?

I did the same thing with some footage I had with fast panning and it jitters a lot cos VDub seems to be chopping off frames instead of blending them. This is why I was trying to make my own 24p filter after I've done a 60p one (also for Virtual Dub). But it's proving harder.
Perrone Ford is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production