What's the minimum running time for a feature-length film? - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production

Techniques for Independent Production
The challenges of creating Digital Cinema and other narrative forms.

Old October 3rd, 2007, 09:09 PM   #31
MPS Digital Studios

I think Woody Allen had a movie (wish I could remember which one) that was 72 minutes, and that's where I heard about that rule. He had to make it EXACTLY that time.

Also, people doing TV shows (30 minute ones with commercials) had to cut their stuff down (or in some cases add to it) to get the shows to 22 minutes or so. I recently worked on an infomercial that had to be 28:30 precisely.

heath
Old October 3rd, 2007, 09:41 PM   #32
Major Player

TV shows have a particular reason for being that length. There are, however, variations, such as the weird new trend to have "2 hour" premieres (about 1:30 of actual content).

Movies, though, are based on popularity. No set schedule for them. Theatres schedules around the films.

As for the 72 minute Woody Allen film, that's reasonable. But that is also older, and it's a new faster age when things aren't so set in stone. FX are expensive... or are they? You can't make a movie without a professional crew. Or can you?
Etc.

In the early days of film, they couldn't show a dead mouse, so Of Mice and Men had a bird instead of a mouse... odd.

Anyway, give it time. (Or maybe 72 minutes is a magic number that will never get improved upon.)
Daniel Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2007, 09:48 PM   #33
MPS Digital Studios

I'd say anything over 65-70 minutes is feature-length. But a lot of fests call movies 40-60 minutes "featurettes." Er, not a lot of fests, only the ones that accept movies that long. Off topic: most fests seem to like shorts that are no longer than 15 minutes.

heath
Old October 4th, 2007, 06:52 AM   #34
Inner Circle

According to the 78th Academy of Motion Pictures and Sciences rules:

a. feature length (defined as over 40 minutes)

Mike

http://www.oscars.org/78academyawards/rules/rule02.html
Old October 4th, 2007, 07:46 AM   #35
Inner Circle

I think what these posts have illustrated is there is NO OFFICIAL length. I doubt there's a festival out there that will consider a forty minute film, "Feature Length"... and I doubt you'll see a film of that length stand alone on a bill in a theatre. Try entering a forty minute film under a feature category, and arguing with the judges that it IS a feature. THEY get to set the gategory lengths, and they are not strictly consisitent from festival to festival.

Television lengths are a 'closed format'. Features are cut to fit in the time slots with the adds stuck in. Sitcoms and Dramas are also shot to fit in a known time frame.

I cut my doc American Jouster to EXACTLY fit the PBS requirements of a SPECIFIC series, and it's considered both a short and a feature when I enter it in festivals at 56:30.

Like I said, it all depends on who's asking.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production