Music for a documentary/presentation at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Techniques for Independent Production
The challenges of creating Digital Cinema and other narrative forms.

Old December 16th, 2006, 09:29 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Music for a documentary/presentation

Hi folks,

I am currently looking into cutting a little documentary/image/presentationvideo for my university - we have already set up a plan/shot all the material.. the only thing we are currently lacking is music..

There are so many good documentaries out there with good music (sth. classic would prob. be most fitting/probable to find).. (In Germany I would be looking up to the documentaries of Arte :) )

Where would you start looking, what could you suggest (if legal issues of the usage are not the main issue - as the film is mainly shown at presentations to new students and in no real "public" context..).

Thank you for your help, cu, Matthias
Old December 16th, 2006, 09:57 PM   #2
Inner Circle

take a look at freeplay.com they have thousands of pieces tha tcan be used for little or no money depending on what you're using it for-the only problem is most of the pieces only run up to 2 to 2:30.
Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2006, 05:21 AM   #3
Inner Circle

You might make some requests on the forum at northersounds.com

There are many beginning composers there who would like to compose to film. The main focus of the site is orchestral, so you might be able to get what you want.

You will want to offer them a credit on the film, as well as the right to use it in their demo reel. For this situation they should license you the right to the music, while retaining publishing rights and the right to use the compositions in other projects.

The main advantages of custom music are that 1) it can fit the exact length you need while sync'ing with hit points and moving through moods that fit the picture, 2) it will be unique and can reflect your instructions, and 3) you will build a relationship with a composer with whom you can collaborate in the future.

Be aware that some of the professional composers there may be offended by the prospect of people composing for free, but given that this is a university project and you are seeking a starting composer, it may be a good joint opportunity.
Old December 17th, 2006, 06:08 AM   #4
Trustee

Matthias,
I'm using Smartsound for my documentaries. You can fit the lenght of your music exactly to the lenght of your choice.
The new Mood Mapping is very nice and gives you a good feature to build the music to enhange your film.
Link: http://www.smartsound.com/sonicfire/index.html

Look at my website for some small vidoes: http://www.video-film.no/galleri_eng.html

Good luck!
Old December 17th, 2006, 06:59 AM   #5
Trustee

Try Bjorn Lynee at http://www.lynnemusic.com/ Fees are reasonable at under $100 for 1 hour of music.

Regards
Mark Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2006, 10:12 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Thank your for all the fast replies! I appreciate them and I will look through all of them - if there is any more - keep 'em coming :) .

Thank you! Matthias
Old December 17th, 2006, 05:22 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Composer Demos

You can hear some of the demos that people have made with Garritan Personal Orchestra (GPO) and other Garritan products here:

http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...splay.php?f=42

GPO isn't the highest-end product on the market, but has been used by many pros. Even U2 has used it in their live shows. The thing is that a rank amateur will make synthy junk with it, while a talented musician can make it sing.

By listening to the demos you can find out who to avoid and who you might pursue. It's possible that one of the demos will be exactly what you are looking for. In that case it should be easy to make a deal - and the composer would probably be willing to customize it to fit.

You can also find composers' demos here: http://vi-control.net/forum/viewforum.php?f=18 This forum has more working pros. The quality might be higher, but they might be less interested in donating their music. (Then again, the working composers are less likely to post open demos.) If you hear something you like, it doesn't hurt to ask.

If you go with a composer, rather than canned music, you are less likely to hear "your music" in other projects.

And, if nothing else, you might have a fun time hearing some of the demos - enjoy the good, and have a laugh at the bad!
Old December 20th, 2006, 11:25 AM   #8
Regular Crew

thank you for all the valuable resources !!
Jason Strongfield is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production