I planning a new short: suggestions? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Techniques for Independent Production
The challenges of creating Digital Cinema and other narrative forms.

Old January 4th, 2007, 09:23 AM   #1
Regular Crew

I planning a new short: suggestions?

I hate to copy techniques that are allready out there but I'm not as much the briliant vissionary I once thought I was haha.

anyway, I'm going to start production on a 3-5min short that I hope will end up having a similar look and feel to the animation style seen in A SCANNER DARKLY and WAKING LIFE.. I allready have a method that involves more filtering rather than free-handing over all the footage; because unfortunately, I dont have the programs used for those productions obviously :) I know it wont have as much of the "floating" foreground and backgroud effect (mostly seen in WAKING LIFE, damn I loved that movie!) but its not such a big deal to me anyway and I think i can live without it. But I was wondering if any members here had any input on the subject as far as techniques, personal experience, suggestions, criticism, whatever! I'm just hoping to get some input.

btw. I had this whole idea was swirling around when dylans dv challenge came around, but of course I vastly misjudged the time and work involved so I couldnt enter a video in time. sorry guys :(

cheers, dave

Last edited by David Cummings; January 4th, 2007 at 10:36 AM.
David Cummings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2007, 10:28 AM   #2
Regular Crew

oh and here's a link to a rough draft frame grab. this is basicaly what I'm trying to accomplish

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i2...00170dcopy.jpg
David Cummings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2007, 11:35 AM   #3
Major Player

Why go through all that trouble? The technique has the disadvantages of both feature films (expense) and animated films (lack of realism).
Seun Osewa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2007, 09:33 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I see what you mean. Its just a style I wanted to play around with. I think the main reason I want to do it is because it allows me to mix real animation (like matting in drawn backgrounds) with more realistic looking human figures

here's a little clip I put together last night

http://www.myspace.com/distastefulgarbage
David Cummings is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production