DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Techniques for Independent Production (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/techniques-independent-production/)
-   -   Getting your DVD into Best Buy??? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/techniques-independent-production/84086-getting-your-dvd-into-best-buy.html)

Tony Jucin January 16th, 2007 09:15 PM

Getting your DVD into Best Buy???

Ok How do you go about doing that? We have a streetracing DVD that is all american muscle non of the fast n furious crap. We have a well designed cover and awsome content, who do we contact?

John Miller January 17th, 2007 09:21 AM

My wife works in this very industry (runs a company specializing in it), so I can offer some knowledge that I have picked up.

All those DVDs and CDs that you see in BestBuy....BestBuy haven't paid for them. You can't just go to them and say "Please buy 2,000 copies of my DVD". You need to find a distributor and draw up a distribution agreement. And don't expect to get any money any time soon. Even if they take 2,000 copies, they can choose, for any reason, to return them. For a DVD retailing for $20, you might get $2 to $3.

They also have very exacting requirements for packaging, barcoding, RFID tagging etc etc. And their standards will be different than, say, Borders.

I'd be happy to put you in touch with my wife - she'd be more than happy to explain the process (for free, most likely, too!)

Matt Champagne January 19th, 2007 09:43 AM

I'd be very interested in hearing more about this as well.

Rob DuBroc January 22nd, 2007 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John F Miller
My wife works in this very industry (runs a company specializing in it), so I can offer some knowledge that I have picked up.

All those DVDs and CDs that you see in BestBuy....BestBuy haven't paid for them. You can't just go to them and say "Please buy 2,000 copies of my DVD". You need to find a distributor and draw up a distribution agreement. And don't expect to get any money any time soon. Even if they take 2,000 copies, they can choose, for any reason, to return them. For a DVD retailing for $20, you might get $2 to $3.

They also have very exacting requirements for packaging, barcoding, RFID tagging etc etc. And their standards will be different than, say, Borders.

I'd be happy to put you in touch with my wife - she'd be more than happy to explain the process (for free, most likely, too!)

I would be VERY interested in this also, I produce rockcrawling and rock racing videos and would like to get them into Best Buy, FYE, etc. and I have an investor willing to help make it happen.

Don Donatello January 22nd, 2007 11:46 PM

in the early 90's BlockBuster based their indie selection on the "BOX" ( package) ...back then you sent them the BOX 1st - if they liked the box then they asked to see the movie ...they said it's the BOX that rents a unknown movie ...