XL-1 frame mode vs external frame modes - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Techniques for Independent Production
The challenges of creating Digital Cinema and other narrative forms.

Old May 26th, 2003, 03:21 PM   #16
Major Player

Dennis,
Any other specific changes to project format/render template needed...or just the changes you mention in your post?
Mark
Mark A. Foley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2003, 11:15 PM   #17
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Mark Foley : Dennis,
Any other specific changes to project format/render template needed...or just the changes you mention in your post?
Mark -->>>

Mark:

Just the changes mentioned in the post: change "field order" to "None (progressive scan)" to work in 30p, and do the same for your render template. Might as well save each with a descriptive name if you work in that format often.

///d@
Dennis Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2003, 05:49 AM   #18
Major Player

Thanks for the response Dennis...however I have another question(s)...(hope not a dumb one)...what about these settings
---deinterlace method setting...does that go to NONE also?
---motion blur?
also...I notice Vegas doesn't have 30p on the dropdown for framerate...just add 30?
Mark
Old May 27th, 2003, 05:44 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Mark:

Deinterlace method doesn't matter since you won't have interlaced sources. Leave it at "blend" in case you want to add any 60i material to your project.

Motion blur type is only important if you're using the Motion Blur envelope in the Video Bus Track.

Use 29.97 framerate for 30p (NTSC runs at about 29.97 fps, not 30).

///d@
Old May 28th, 2003, 06:09 AM   #20
Regular Crew

What if you are outputting it to dvd and viewing it on tv?

Should we output it as progressive scan or interlace ?
Since i remember reading from the post production thread that we should output it as interlace if we are viewing it on tv and progressive if we are viewing it on computer monitor.
Michael Chen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2003, 06:20 AM   #21
Major Player

One thing I've noticed with XL1S frame mode and post with Vegas (could be how I have the NLE configured) is slo-motion shots are not very smooth...lots of blurring.....
Old May 28th, 2003, 04:54 PM   #22
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Mark A. Foley : One thing I've noticed with XL1S frame mode and post with Vegas (could be how I have the NLE configured) is slo-motion shots are not very smooth...lots of blurring..... -->>>

Well, yes, since you're captureing half the temporal information compared to 60i.

///d@
Old May 30th, 2003, 10:23 PM   #23
Regular Crew

This is an interesting thread for me to find right now. I am shooting a music video with two different DV cams.

Last weekend I shot the b-roll, (conceptual footage) with my Xl1s in the mojave desert. I shot in 4:3 in normal (not frame) mode. I plan to 16:9 mask in post, and de-interlace with an AVID DS system.

I still have to shoot the performance footage with a panasonic dvx100.

I will be editing(hopefully) on an AVID media composer, which will allow me to group the performance footage (after it is synced to the song) and make smarter edits.

I am still wondering if I should have shot in frame mode, but I have seen footage de-interlaced with th AVID ds and it looks good. I also am planning some time-lapse sunrise/sunsets and was advised that normal mode would be cleaner.

I opted for the panasonic because of the 24p mode. I feel that it may look more cinematic for the performace stuff.

does anyone know if I will encounter any difficulty with editing footage from the two different sources? If I can't edit on the composer, I will use AVID ecpress DV.
Steven Moreno is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production