2 hr. Training Video, How much? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production

Techniques for Independent Production
The challenges of creating Digital Cinema and other narrative forms.

Old February 23rd, 2007, 01:25 PM   #1
Regular Crew

2 hr. Training Video, How much?

Not sure if this is the right place. But just out of curiosity, looks like we're going to be making about a 2 hour training video for a sales company. Just wondering about how much $$$ should we be expecting. There aren't too many details yet other than just filming role plays, live sales, nothing to fancy. I'll answer any other questions there may be. thanks

Eric Hansen
Eric Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2007, 04:37 PM   #2
Trustee

Whatever the market will allow.

I generally get a day rate for shooting, and then from experience, I know that it takes me a week to put together a two hour video with chapters and menus. So on average, I charge for 6 days. One or two for the shoot, and four or five for the edit. I also throw in what it costs me for some new royalty-free music.

It depends on your location and your income requirement, but I hate to see people work for too little money to feed their family. I personally get a premium for shooting/editing HDV. My customers are large corporations, so I try to keep the number under the sign-off authorization, which is generally $10,000. I seldom push it. A training session usually runs $8K to $9K.

However, I am also the subject matter expert. That helps. It puts me in the driver's seat.
Old February 25th, 2007, 07:12 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Set a day rate for production and an hourly for editing. This should reflect the basic cost for your time and then create costs for your equipment. It has to pay for itself eventually. Give nothing away unless you know your are competivley bidding and then give them "percieved value" that could get you ahead. Find out what other prod. companies in your area charge for thier location time and post! That will help giude you.
Bradley D Barber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2007, 02:02 PM   #4
Trustee

My gut said $5 grand - a two hour long production will involve mucho work on your part my friend, and a certain amount of wear and tear on the the equipment.

!0 grand certainly isn't too low, but again it does have a lot to do with where you live.

I wouldn't do for any less than $3,000, no matter where you live...

john
evilgeniusentertainment.com
John Vincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2007, 06:25 PM   #5
Major Player

Pricing

10 K is very reasonable. Be sure charge hourly for editing, because this is where you rack up time and money. And put limits on the amount of time; if you go over, start the meter again, and put this info in the contract. You can get nibbled to death of you don't do this.
Jack D. Hubbard is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production