Director's Chair?? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Techniques for Independent Production
The challenges of creating Digital Cinema and other narrative forms.

Old March 30th, 2007, 04:53 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Director's Chair??

Hello... I am Tatsuya Graham and I have been into filming for a while. I just recently purchased a new camera for my films (gl2). I have a problem that pretty much conflicts with everything I do...

WHO's WHO?

First off, just to give you a basic rundown of people in my crew...
Me - I do all editing for now, until I teach my friend how to edit a little. I also own the camera, take initiative to make films, pretty much write script. I also do sound, lights, and organize dates of filming...BTW i already have my own logo..."TGFILMS"

Friend #1 - He wants to learn how to edit, but cant until he gets a computer.. He is trying to buy a new camcorder ($300-$500). He helps me think of ideas, and does do some script writing. He is also an actor.

Friend #2 - He helps with coming up with ideas, and thinking up scenarios..He has a car, and he is an actor.

Okay....

Well, just to make a long story short.. I asked them to help me in a film, and Friend #1 was already into acting in digital shorts. So Friend #2 is a friend and we needed him to do a role in the film too...Keep in mind that we are highschoolers and neither are terrific actors. But I need them for the films. Well...After we made that film, We kinda want to do more films.
Since I really need them now for being in the films, and they want to be in them, they want to change TGFILMS to something else since they are in it...
And I am, and i hate saying this, but I am more advance in filmmaking and editing than they are....Like far more....(I hate boasting...I really do...But its true) and if i were to let either one of them be director, it wouldn't turn out like we planned....I am just really confused about this and need opinions...
I am trying to move into a more professional state, but they are sort of lagging because they think "Oh, We should all just be director"...Should I let them each direct a piece? Neither even know what F-stop or 3 point lighting, or any of that stuff is and I just don't want the video to look horrible and have my name on it....Im sort of a perfectionist when it gets down to filming(everything has to be right, or else we have to do it again).

So what should I do??

Thnx,
Tatsuya Graham

P.S. I don't mean to sound like Im full of myself...Im trying to explain this in the most humblest way I can think of so you can understand fully.
Tatsuya Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2007, 05:32 PM   #2
Major Player

Tatsuya, I think you're worrying about things that don't really matter, the company name and credits are irrelevant. When submitting a film to say a festival you need to avoid putting lots of credits and logos at the start of the film because nobody cares who you are, and when i say that i don't just mean you i mean all of us. There are 25,000 members here at dvinfo all doing the same thing and we represent a fraction of the people in the world who are filmmakers, unless you are george lucas or spielberg no one cares, i know its harsh but its the reality for all of us not just you.

Having said that with regards to your problem i suggest talking it out with them, if they are good buddies it will work out fine, be reasonable with each other. I have three other members of my company that don't know how to work the equipment (with the exception of one) I also take care of the technical side but by no means are the others useless. Do not underestimate the value of colleagues with the same passion for film, the other people in my company although they don't have technical skill they are all very good at other important areas of filmmaking like producing and book keeping which are every bit as essential. Together we can make films but appart we are all useless

You cannot make films on your own so talk to your friends about the logo and keep an open mind about changing it because being able to edit and work a camera is only a small part of filmmaking.

Andy.
Old March 31st, 2007, 11:05 PM   #3
Trustee

By all means, let them try their hands at directing...take the Cinematography credit in that one...just run the camera. You will then be responsible for the lighting and the picture, nothing else. Many times, letting actors direct will give them a different perspective on their part of the process in front of the camera.

Since you are in the earliest stages of moving toward your professional career in filmmaking, being able to concentrate on a single task will be quite beneficial for you. You are also young enough to have the time to screw up a few times before it really counts. Let them have their turn at it. One of them may be quite good at directing. With a good director and a good DP, you can acheive marvelous things with no budget whatsoever. :)

I work the same way you do. I've let others direct and it's turned out well, I'm able to give them advice when they ask for it as well as I've done that portion before. My early works suck, my newer stuff is getting quite a bit better, the more tasks my cast and crew do on my stuff, the better they get at each part...having an actor run a microphone lets them know how it behaves. The next time they're in front of the mike, they'll make better use of it. Same with the camera and lights and blocking and direction. Expanding knowlege will expand their talents.

Encourage them to read and study the parts they're going to do...acting classes, books and videos. Directing classes, books and videos...same with the technical bits. Make them do their homework ;) Have fun. Let them have fun, your sets will be more productive.
Old May 6th, 2007, 07:28 PM   #4
Major Player

HI Tatsuya,

First, its good to see a young filmmaker seeking advice from this board!. Seek out all the knowlege you can. Let me get to your questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatsuya Graham View Post
First off, just to give you a basic rundown of people in my crew...
Me - I do all editing for now, until I teach my friend how to edit a little. I also own the camera, take initiative to make films, pretty much write script. I also do sound, lights, and organize dates of filming...BTW i already have my own logo..."TGFILMS"

Friend #1 - He wants to learn how to edit, but cant until he gets a computer.. He is trying to buy a new camcorder ($300-$500). He helps me think of ideas, and does do some script writing. He is also an actor.

Friend #2 - He helps with coming up with ideas, and thinking up scenarios..He has a car, and he is an actor.
So here's the first thing You see yourself as the on who takes "initiative" to make the films probably because they're your films. Friend number 1 and 2 are your performers and your the Producer/Director/Writer/Editor/Cameraperson. Since you put yourself in that role, its really up to you to take the initiative to get projects started and finished

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatsuya Graham View Post
Okay....

Well, just to make a long story short.. I asked them to help me in a film, and Friend #1 was already into acting in digital shorts. So Friend #2 is a friend and we needed him to do a role in the film too...Keep in mind that we are highschoolers and neither are terrific actors. But I need them for the films. Well...After we made that film, We kinda want to do more films.
Since I really need them now for being in the films, and they want to be in them, they want to change TGFILMS to something else since they are in it...
And I am, and i hate saying this, but I am more advance in filmmaking and editing than they are....Like far more....(I hate boasting...I really do...But its true) and if i were to let either one of them be director, it wouldn't turn out like we planned....I am just really confused about this and need opinions...
I am trying to move into a more professional state, but they are sort of lagging because they think "Oh, We should all just be director"...Should I let them each direct a piece? Neither even know what F-stop or 3 point lighting, or any of that stuff is and I just don't want the video to look horrible and have my name on it....Im sort of a perfectionist when it gets down to filming(everything has to be right, or else we have to do it again).

So what should I do??

Thnx,
Tatsuya Graham

P.S. I don't mean to sound like Im full of myself...Im trying to explain this in the most humblest way I can think of so you can understand fully.
Sounds like there is some miscommunication going on. As the conceptual person being the last project. you see the company as yours and the films being produced are the films you wanna make. Your friends see the process as collaborative, and want more say in how the projects are made.

I understand how your friends feel, they feel like lackies how just show up when you need help. Filmmaking is a collaborative process. So yes, if you want to forge a long lasting filmmaking partnership with friends 1 and 2, involve them in the process, have them help you plan the films, teach them about camera work and editing, and about all, SUPPORT THEM!, do camera and editing for a film they want to direct. And yes, you should change the name if the company, or start a new venture with your two friends. Three heads are better than one, so imagine if your friends possesed to technical knowledge and experience you have?
Jay Kavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2007, 12:20 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Tatsuya,

MY STORY

High school, film company, who is who and owns what percentage. I have just been there. In fact, graduated in May. I began filming randomly, had no idea where I wanted to go, and didn't know who wanted to go there with me. I found a group of friends who liked being stupid on camera, and one or two who were really into it. I went about creating the company name, and I found only one of my friends who was as into it as I was. We became partners, and we just make note of who originated what idea. We basically figured we were both director/producer and our other friends were crew members. I understand this whole process is touchy and like an old stick of dynamite, but I did not want to sacrifice the company name, so we did have a few disagreements over who's involvment was more important. I just had to decide where to draw the line that would not be crossed.

Alright...my story type thing is over, now on to business...

WHAT I DID

What I did was to begin structuring my company like a corporation, with a CEO (myself) and then place others below me and my partner, I made sure that everyone knew I was in charge of puting our name on things and using my equipment. For money issues, we usually donated whatever we felt was necissary for a specific event and made sure everyone knew what it was going towards. If the crew earned money we divided it among people who actually worked on the piece, and credits were always made with just the people who worked on a piece.

For editing, the two directors were also the editors, and we live 5 minutes away from each other and use Yahoo to conference so we always knew how it was looking and what was going on.

MY ADVICE

As Jay said, there is miscommunication. What I suggest is above all take some time to think over what you are going to say. Make sure you are not getting angry or talking like they are below you. Explain to them the positions you want them to be filling, tell them you want them on your crew, but also tell them you don't want to change the name until they are both ready to commit to profesional work. If your work is already known under the name, you can just tell them it is easier to get people to notice it if it keeps your original name on there. The problem is communication, and communication is also the solution.
Joshua Fernandez is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production