Fcs at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production

Techniques for Independent Production
The challenges of creating Digital Cinema and other narrative forms.

Old April 5th, 2007, 08:26 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Fcs

What's an easy way to make video form an XL2 look like film in FCS?
Nick Royer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2007, 12:55 AM   #2
Trustee

not necessarily, it depends on the quality of the XL2 footage you've started out with. The film look requires very little technique in the camera, you can get presets around here to get nice looking saturation in camera etc...most of the time should be spent in front of the camera (lighting, makeup, set design, blocking, camera blocking, casting, directing)...there's no magic bullet (pun intended) to make badly shot footage look like film.

If it's shot phenominally well, no one will even care that it's shot DV...most of that happens in front of the camera. The "film look" has little to do with the camera. The best example I've seen demonstrating this was in "Yogi Bear"...

http://www.bcdb.com/cartoon_synopsis...er_Screen.html

The director says "action...cue the sunrise, cue the birds"...controlling everything that happens in front of the camera will get you movie looking footage.

Have you already shot footage and are looking to color correct to give it a more filmic look?
Old April 6th, 2007, 08:28 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I haven't shot it yet. I'm starting in the summer. just want to know what I should do throughout the process to make it look more like film.
Old April 6th, 2007, 08:35 AM   #4
Wrangler

What it "FCS"? Final Cut Studio?
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2007, 03:04 PM   #5
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Royer View Post
I haven't shot it yet. I'm starting in the summer. just want to know what I should do throughout the process to make it look more like film.
learn lighting first and foremost, shoot lots of test footage, play! Get actors who are either very good...or have the time to have great performances coaxed out of them. Take the time to dress the set...nothing enters the frame that you don't want there. Costume well and consider makeup options.
Old April 8th, 2007, 09:35 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Fcs is Final Cut Studio

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production