DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Techniques for Independent Production (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/techniques-independent-production/)
-   -   How to make a text overlay look like it's engraved? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/techniques-independent-production/92297-how-make-text-overlay-look-like-its-engraved.html)

Nick Rothwell April 24th, 2007 02:17 PM

How to make a text overlay look like it's engraved?

I'm filming my first feature starting in June and moving on until the end of September. So we are all scrambling to get everything ready for June. One of the things I've been doing is making set pieces. In an earlier thread I asked about a good way to go about making a tombstone, I got some great suggestions and I'm well on my way.

Here's my problem, I want to try to avoid actually putting the names onto the tombstone. Is there a way I can overlay text ontop of the face of the tombstone so it looks like it is engraved into it in post?

Ken Hodson April 24th, 2007 02:38 PM

If your shot is moving it would be difficult. Why not do the tombstone and lettering together as a graphic.

Nick Rothwell April 24th, 2007 05:27 PM

I was worried about doing a text overlay for that reason, movement. Also If something were to pass infront of the tombstone, well that would let the cat out of the bag aswell. Are you suggesting I use a graphic of a tombstone, with our fairly basic understanding of post production I have no idea how we could make that look realistic.

Thanks for your response, Ken.

Ken Hodson April 26th, 2007 02:37 PM

To me the complexity of putting graphics on a prop, is more then making the whole prop a graphic.
If you do not have someone with good post skills I suggest you find one, or consider different options of shooting the scene. Shoot so you don't need to read the engravings?

Willis Petti May 1st, 2007 10:39 AM

Just wondering why you don't want to put the names on the tombstone? is it because you may want to use the tombstone again? If so, the way i would do it is just print off your lettering and glue or tape it on the tombstone and try to make it look authentic with dust or what ever.

I would do it that way because i'm not very good at post production effects and don't know anyone that is.

Wil

Richard Zlamany May 1st, 2007 05:41 PM

I could easily make 3d tombs engraved with any text that looks real. If you are interested just drop me an email.

Cole McDonald May 1st, 2007 06:36 PM

I would take an interested e-mail from you if you like. I have shake and I'm not afraid to use it. I could add those in post for you.

Yev Belman May 2nd, 2007 09:26 PM

Any tutorials on Matchmover? I'd like to learn how do this 3d camera follow business.

Nick Rothwell May 5th, 2007 07:53 PM

Thanks for all of the responses, I've been in New York City for the past 5 days. I really appreciate your offers Cole and Richard, it's very generous of you. I will definitely drop you an email if I can't get anything to work this month.

Thanks again,
Nick Rothwell

Cole McDonald May 5th, 2007 08:48 PM

basically, in shake or aftereffects or something like it, you place a tracking point on a highcontrast part of the image in the same plane as the thing you'd like to track...then tell the software to analyze it and place that motion onto the corner pinned graphic you're overlaying. Then you make masks for anything that passes between it and the camera and keyframe it to move with whatever it is. That way it gets covered up by the thing passing over it.

Bill Davis May 8th, 2007 02:40 AM

Smartest thing I read in the last decade:

When the only tool you have is a hammer, every problem starts to look like a nail.

Find someone with some basic artistic talent.

Buy a few slabs of styrofoam and an X-acto knife and some grey spray paint.

The FIRST rule of videomaking is that it doesn't have to BE REAL - it just has to LOOK REAL.

Your mileage may vary.

Cole McDonald May 8th, 2007 07:39 AM

My solution was more for if it were already shot...if not, I prefer practical effects every time.