Obvious cuts and film look at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production

Techniques for Independent Production
The challenges of creating Digital Cinema and other narrative forms.

Old May 12th, 2003, 01:18 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Obvious cuts and film look

I showed a video to my girlfriend recently after we had just watched a dvd. She said that she thought it looked very good, but there was a problem in that the cuts didn't look seemless like they did on the dvd. I hadn't really thought about it, but when she said it I started to notice it as well. Even shot-reverse shot situations looked sort of choppy. I've heard that real films use a 1 frame cross-dissolve for the cuts. Is this true? Does anyone have any hints for making it appear more seemless? Thanks.

Matt
Matthew Groff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2003, 01:27 AM   #2
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Without seeing the video it's hard to make specific suggestions.

In general, making successful cuts such as you reference is a matter of remaining on the plane of action, making sure that the action and dialog are continuous and making sure that the cuts make sense with the scene's action. "Choppiness" in cuts is usually a matter of obtrusiveness which, in turn, is usually a matter breaks in one of the above rules.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2003, 02:17 AM   #3
Wrangler

It is not true that feature films use 1-frame dissolves for cuts.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | The best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Robert Knecht Schmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2003, 10:25 AM   #4
Warden

It might even look worse, maybe like a flash frame.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2003, 10:39 AM   #5
Capt. Quirk

How do they create a cross disolve with film?
K. Forman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2003, 11:50 PM   #6
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Keith Forman : How do they create a cross disolve with film? -->>>

Optically. In the past, the overlapping pieces of source film were sent out, and a new piece of film was exposed, using varying amounts of the original film (100% to 0 for the "out" shot, and 0 to 100% for the "in" shot). This section was then edited into the final film. In some older films, you can these edits before and after a cross dissolve. I'm leaving out the part about interpositives and such.

///d@
Dennis Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2003, 12:01 AM   #7
High School Student

Keith, of course, with todays shot 35mm films, the film is telecined to a digital medium and a NLE is used to edit, and then it's put back on film...
Alex Knappenberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2003, 12:06 AM   #8
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Alex Knappenberger : Keith, of course, with todays shot 35mm films, the film is telecined to a digital medium and a NLE is used to edit, and then it's put back on film... -->>>

Only for scenes with CGI. Otherwise, the edited shot list is used to cut together the negatives. Film making is still a very analog medium.

///d@
Dennis Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2003, 05:30 AM   #9
Capt. Quirk

I understood MOST of the concepts and practices behind film editing, just didn't understand the principles behind transitions. Thanks Dennis :)
K. Forman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2003, 07:10 AM   #10
Major Player

Dennis, today a common practice is a full intermediate digital tranfer, hence no EDL's, no nada.

They transfer everything they think they will need into an insane rez like 4kx4k then edit the thing and have that printed to film.

Zac
Zac Stein is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production