frame mode/progressive recording on Sony-PC120 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production

Techniques for Independent Production
The challenges of creating Digital Cinema and other narrative forms.

Old May 12th, 2003, 06:24 AM   #1
Regular Crew

frame mode/progressive recording on Sony-PC120

Hi,

I think is notpossible, but anyone knows if there's a way to shhot in progressive recording in a Sony PC-120? I know that upcomong models from Sony can do that in this range of product, but i think in my DVCam this can not be done :( I'm looking at it because i'm going to shot with this cam a short movie and i want to get this film look, without having to post-produce a lot and deal with interlaced artifacts :)

Any advice? Thanks

Ivan
Ivan Castell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2003, 07:17 AM   #2
Trustee

Ivan,

Unfortunately Sony's "progressive scan mode" is only 15fps. This is designed to reduce the bandwidth required to transfer footage for web delivery. I wouldn't use this for regular shooting as it will result in a very jerky image. As for your PC-120, I don't think it even has progressive shooting mode.
Adrian Douglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2003, 11:18 AM   #3
Regular Crew

THanks,

I was looking into the cam manual but there's no such function. No progressive mode, i have a "progressive shutter system" wich i really don't understand what it is, but is not that anyway. I have a slow shutter option, but it's really too high. There's an option in digital effects that allows to change shutter speed but is not really well documented (it only display a bar, and you can go high or down in your settings, but actually you never see what shutter speed you're setting), but i think is the only way to shoot with a film look; If anyone have or know how to set up the Sony PC-120 to do that, and if it's what can make a film look, i'll be very happy :)

Anyway, in postproduction there's a way to convert interlaced material to progressive, that means showing 50 frames per second, 1 field after the other, maybe it helps the film look, but i've never tried, and i don't know if you can render it back to DV tape, beacuse DV codec i think don't allow a 50 fps DV clip.

Ivan
Old May 13th, 2003, 11:40 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Ok, just tried the "Shutter speed" feature of the PC-120; It slow down shutter speed but you really don't know what shutter you're setting; It has 4 settings from 1 to 4, 4 being the slowest shutter; Anyone with the PC-120 know what shutter speed coresponds to the numbers? It is not specified in the manual. And is a digital effect, is really a slower shutter speed or just a fake one?
Old May 13th, 2003, 11:51 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Me again :)

Just find it.

Shutter 1 --> 1/30
Shutter 2 --> 1/15
Shutter 3 --> 1/8
Shutter 4 --> 1/4

WIcvh one you recomend me for film look? it's a PAL cam :)
Old May 13th, 2003, 08:11 PM   #6
Trustee

Ivan,

1/30 might work ok, just as long as you don't have any fast movement as this will blur a little.
Adrian Douglas is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production