Where to find axes like this? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production

Techniques for Independent Production
The challenges of creating Digital Cinema and other narrative forms.

Old June 26th, 2007, 09:06 AM   #1
Major Player

Where to find axes like this?

I am looking to find axes like those pictured (not the pattern persay, just the shape and size). Preferred to be real that can be dulled, as the swords we are using will be real. Anyone have any ideas?

http://www.kiukle.com/temp/axe.jpg
Old June 26th, 2007, 11:40 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Real? I guess I can post this link as none of our sponsors sell these items:
http://www.aurorahistoryboutique.com

That's a lot of weight to be swinging around, though. That's okay for the "hero" props, but for action props I would try creating the action heads out of balsa and covering them with a metal film or sealing and painting. You can get them to look like real metal...at least on camera. Add clash sound FX in post, and the effect is complete.

With wood action props, your talent won't be exhausted from holding that axe all day. Plus, getting hit in the head with a balsa wood axe isn't anywhere near as bad a getting hit with a metal one, dull or otherwise. Accidents do happen, you know.

Just my 2 cents.
Old June 26th, 2007, 01:23 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Museum Replicas is a pretty good source for stage combat weapons.

But are you planning on fighting with them or just carrying them?
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2007, 01:35 PM   #4
Trustee

http://www.atlantacutlery.com/websto...e_battaxe.aspx

Couldn't find any of that type at Museum Replicas (division of atlanta cutlery).
Old June 26th, 2007, 01:46 PM   #5
Major Player

Not sure how soon you need it, but I see stuff like that at Gun Shows all the time. They have "real" swords and axes that come out of Pakistan. Also, try the local swap meet (flea market), I've seen items like that there too.
Lisa Shofner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2007, 02:32 PM   #6
Major Player

we`ll be doing a bit of fighting with them. About a month and a half of practice first. it won`t be too intensive (risky maneuvers), and anything near dangerous will either be camera angle tricked, or slow motioned so it LOOKS dangerous but its not so much when actors aren`t moving full speed at each other. Its hard to find shorts ones i`m finding. I guess battle axes were really meant to be 2 handed...curse video games for making stuff up ;)
Old June 26th, 2007, 05:43 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Yeah, the double bladed fantasy battle axes are not real easy to handle, if they're made of steel.

Count on using two hands.

I've got more than twenty years of professional experience doing it... don't attempt it at home. ;)

www.americanjouster.com
Old June 26th, 2007, 08:11 PM   #8
Major Player

a 3 lb axe is hard to handle? At least that was the weight of one of them posted above. I wouldn`t imagine it`d be that difficult.
Old June 26th, 2007, 08:32 PM   #9
Inner Circle

"Hard to handle" - subjective phrase, but yeah. It can be.

Undestand the physics of the angular momentum of combat. And remember, in stage combat. you're 'pulling' your punches or 'casting' the hit's force beyond the target area.

Pick up a three pound sledge hammer, and hold it at arms length for a while, then start swinging it around.

Now put that three pounds further out on the end of a handle.

Yeah, it can be 'hard to handle'. Takes a bit of skill. More so than a sword, because the axe head causes torgue in the handle.
Old June 26th, 2007, 08:34 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Swords of honor

I bought some great stuff from these guys a few years ago for
a Gladiator spot we shot. Great service and quick delivery and the quality was great

www.swordsofhonor.com
Matthew Gore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2007, 09:30 PM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Alvarez View Post
"Hard to handle" - subjective phrase, but yeah. It can be.

Undestand the physics of the angular momentum of combat. And remember, in stage combat. you're 'pulling' your punches or 'casting' the hit's force beyond the target area.

Pick up a three pound sledge hammer, and hold it at arms length for a while, then start swinging it around.

Now put that three pounds further out on the end of a handle.

Yeah, it can be 'hard to handle'. Takes a bit of skill. More so than a sword, because the axe head causes torgue in the handle.

Ahh yea i see what your saying. I can relate after having used the glidecam with my A1. Even holding out a few pounds at arms reach is tough. I never thought about the physics of it. Just figured the guy playing the character is about 5'11" 210 lbs with 15 years Sho du kan (?) and another karate training, so I`m hoping he can handle them *fingers cross* Right now we are just using PVC pipes in place. By the way found some nice black ones through one of these links....niiiice.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production