DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   These Are the People in Your Neighborhood (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/these-people-your-neighborhood/)
-   -   Hello from Silicone Valley (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/these-people-your-neighborhood/101343-hello-silicone-valley.html)

Terry Martin August 14th, 2007 05:38 PM

Hello from Silicon Valley

After some recent months of scouring this site to support my new found addiction to HDV, it is about time I post something to thank Chris and all of you for such a well organized and effective source of both fundamental and cutting edge technology.

My background includes a past life as a Physicist, software developer, still photographer, musician, and pro audio engineering.

About 6 months ago my video credits included occasional romps with a vintage Sony VX1000, Pinnacle 8, and the hope to someday shoot multi cam music/ band videos, but nothing that you would even want your relatives to see.

So 6 months ago I was commissioned to produce a video of a Ballet production that included my wife. I normally did the still photography for the group, but the ballet director learned that 1) I owned a video camera, and 2) I was much cheaper that a professional (i.e. free).

It didn’t take long for me to realize that my equipment was outdated, so after modest research I came up with a plan to finally get serious about video. It was simple, just purchase two “hot” HDV cams and use professional editing software. I am now a Canon fan for video hardware so I got a HV20 and a XH A1. I had previously purchased Avid 5.2.4, but never got it to run on my pro audio workstation PC.

The last months have been quite an experience. I did shoot the ballet in HDV, edit it in Avid, and produce a successful SD DVD. This forum was essential for me to learn enough to make it all happen.

Along the way, I had to learn about HD specifications and the best path from HDV to SD DVD. Avid was fun, because I did not know it was so picky about PC hardware. I ended up building a dedicated PC for Avid, although the AMD X2, ATI 9800 system was built from spare parts and is far from the Avid specifications... but it works!

Next month I will get to shoot a multicam music video. Thanks to you all for making it possible, because I now realize that the key ingredient for successful video is knowledge.

I will eventually post more on this forum as my experience grows.

Mike Teutsch August 14th, 2007 05:45 PM

Terry,

Welcome to the forum! Sounds like you have come a long ways in a short time. Keep going, but watch your wallet. Nothing-Nothing more addictive.

By the way, love silicone. Makes many enjoyable products, chips and all! :)

M

Gints Klimanis August 14th, 2007 06:33 PM

Welcome to the group, Terry. I'm in Menlo Park and shoot with Sony Z1 and FX1. I'm experimenting with moving video techniques on martial artists. I've hired additional camera operators in the past to help cover martial arts events, so drop me a line sometime.

Gints
gints@att.net

Bill Ravens August 14th, 2007 07:11 PM

Silicone Valley? Just exactly what do you do there?
Perhaps you mean silicon valley.

Terry Martin August 15th, 2007 01:25 AM

Mike,
I have a new found respect for HDV. Yes, it is addictive, but what can be more interesting that combining emerging technology with art.

Yep, it is expensive, but I have had the experience of owning an airplane for 25 years.

Gints,
I’ll be in touch, I’m actually just one city south of you.

Bill,
Thanks for the spelling check… I didn’t pay enough (or any) attention to the title.

I have retired from the “Silicon Valley” (or how about Silly-con Valley) rat race, and now just occasionally consult in IT and management areas for local corporations with lots of problems and even more money.

Bill Ravens August 15th, 2007 07:16 AM

Terry...

Good on you, mate.
All kinds of places I could go with the concept of silicone valley. I decided, in the name of good taste, not to.

Matt Newcomb August 17th, 2007 03:57 PM

I thought I was in the Silicone Valley, being from North Hollywood.

Alvaro Nannicini September 13th, 2007 12:56 AM

Hi all

Sorry for my bad english and probably about that I dont undestand what Mike
Teutsch wrote :
>>By the way, love silicone. Makes many enjoyable products, chips and all! :)
>>>>>>>>>
But for sure I want declare that I dont like silicon tits , bye.

Chris Barcellos September 13th, 2007 01:11 AM

Terry:

Fled Santa Clara Valley in 1973. Now in Sacramento area, as an attorney. Love Digital film production -- an addiction as you say.... I am treating this board as my film school education. Similar to your beginnings, I have the VX2000, FX1 and now the HV20. I am experimenting with 35mm adapters recently.

What is your musical genre ? Have a musician brother in Campbell. Blue grass is his current gig with his wife, but in 70's they played a lot of rock and such in bay area.