DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   These Are the People in Your Neighborhood (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/these-people-your-neighborhood/)
-   -   Hello from a 2D animator (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/these-people-your-neighborhood/102281-hello-2d-animator.html)

Paul Fierlinger August 28th, 2007 03:47 AM

Hello from a 2D animator

Am I the only one here who doesn't use a camera to make videos and films?

I draw my films using a Wacom tablet in software Mirage and I joined this group because I use NLE Vegas 7e (soon to be Vegas Pro 8). I've been using this fabulous software for only about a year and still have much to learn.

I've been a freelancer since 1958 when I made my first film for money, a TV commercial in Prague. I am 71 years old and have lived and worked near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania since 1969, after I escaped from Czechoslovakia.

My current project is a feature film called, My Dog Tulip, based on the book of the same name by J.R.Ackerley. At the present date we have 45 minutes completed. By "we" I mean my wife, Sandra who paints everything, a sound engineer and composer, John Averese, and myself, the one who animates.

The movie is slated for theatrical release in May of 2009. Our producer is an independent outfit, called NT Productions in New York. We started production a year ago last month.

I am thrilled to have stumbled over this group that requires the disclosure of our full names. I used to participate in a group like this one before, when I worked with DPS/Leitch Velocity and have fond memories of those people and the way the group was run and organized. DVi reminds me of DPSedits in many good ways.

I enter this place with high hopes of deepening my editing skills and will mostly be a lurker because I am not a typical camera and lights filmmaker, thus have little to contribute that would interest the majority of members here but have much to learn from many, many of you.

Walter J Walsh August 28th, 2007 01:19 PM

Paul,

Welcome to the collective. It's nice to see another Mirage user here. I think you will find everyone here is very helpful.

Walter

Paul Fierlinger August 28th, 2007 06:02 PM

Thanks, Walter. How involved are you with Mirage? I ask only because from the looks of your profile I can't tell anything, but from your messaging you don't appear to have a video graphics orientation.

Walter J Walsh August 29th, 2007 10:27 AM

I use Mirage with Lightwave and After Effects. But I'm not very proficient. I just sort of lumber around in there and hope for the best.

Oh I also wanted to say I enjoyed your, "How To Find A Parking Space".

Paul Fierlinger August 29th, 2007 10:37 AM

All those old films that I tossed out a long time ago keep cropping up... YouTube is frightening. For myself, I never like to show (or look at) anything over 3 or 4 years old.

Mirage can be difficult for the first few hours but shortly after that there's a big AHA moment and everything quickly comes together.

Then, as you get into a routine of steady, proficient work, you find surprises that just take your breath away. Sony's Vegas has that element and that's why I like to follow these (Vegas) threads.

I'm doing fine with Vegas since I use it all day long, every day of the week ... but I love to discover the surprises too!