Hello from Burbank at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

These Are the People in Your Neighborhood
Introduce yourself! Who you are, what you're doing & using.

Old June 2nd, 2003, 04:02 AM   #1
Trustee

Hello from Burbank

Hello all I've been an XL1 user for about 4 years now, I have to say it was easily the best investment I ever made. I bought my xl1 after getting hired at a film production studio in NYC while there on an internship. I had to leave to go back to school but with the unexpected money I invested in an Xl1 complete with the E adapter and an ef lens in addition to the standard 16x lens that came with it back then.

I went back to school (the University of Georgia, go dogs) and 10 months later the production company that I worked at went belly up. While in college I did as many projects as i could and shot my fair share of shorts and a couple of different freelance projects for which I was grossly underpaid, but hey it's college. After a year of struggling in college I finally decided to take the classes that would at least give me an excuse to shoot(no film school short of history and a single topic class), I graduated a year later with a B.S. in drama.

I took the obvious route and packed up the truck and moved to bever... burbank As much as I love working as a videographer I have yet to make a living doing it but of course I'm not ready to give up trying. I got a job working as an office PA on a real film (I believe the name is mission without permission now... when i worked on it, it was catch that girl.) despite the cool people I met and having an ok time with the work I know that I needed to shoot again, I dug up a script and bought 4 for 3 books on digital filmmaking (i've ammased quite the little library now) at borders and traded in my old NTSC xl1 for a PAL xl1. I've since then been gathering up as much info as I can on equipment and lenses, and putting myself to the test.

This seems like a great community and I look forward to being a part of it.
Nick Hiltgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2003, 10:45 AM   #2
RED Code Chef

Welcome aboard Nick! Good to have you with us. Your story
was an interesting read and I thank you for a good introduction.
Do you have of your shorts online for us to see? That would
also get you some feedback etc. from the community.

Do you use the EF lens/adapter much because of the 7.2
increase?

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2003, 11:54 AM   #3
Trustee

OK to show off my complete ignorance to the entire community I have used the lens but thoguht that the lens was just really strong and being used to shotty equipment did a lot of moving the camera back and grabbing more light. I really like the lens and I feel like the ef adapter is one of the best reasons to have an xl1 in addition to all the other wonderful features. I have a couple of shorts that I'd be willing to expose to everyone but I'm still working on the whole getting into the webpage thing so I can't say for sure when they'll be up.
Nick Hiltgen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood