DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   These Are the People in Your Neighborhood (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/these-people-your-neighborhood/)
-   -   New Owner XL-1 From West virgina (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/these-people-your-neighborhood/106269-new-owner-xl-1-west-virgina.html)

Joe Hanna October 23rd, 2007 08:15 AM

New Owner XL-1 From West virgina

Hi, I own an Gl-2 and a newly pruchased XL-1. I do a lot of sports events and highschool proms in my community, I use pinnacle studio for editing and do have some buck's in it and not sure If it was worth the money sometime's I have burn failures and need to compile the project again, sometimes two or three failures. the whole rendering and compiling process can take as long as 3hrs for a 1hr video I'm not sure if it is a software problem or hardware issue using a dell computer with 40GB hard drive and store all the video on a slave 80GB so

I don't use up the master drive space. Any comments on this issue will be appreaciated. I do this stuff on the side mostly as a hobby, I started out filming my Kids playing football, softball, and basketball, our local Highschool football coach saw some of my footage of my sons youthgame and ask me to join his staff.

I think whe he saw the quality picture of the GL-2 had to offer compaired to what they were using, he was sold which made me a popular guy I have since been recruted by our line coach to shoot close up footage of his line so he can evauluate the lineman I started out using a extra sony hi-8 for this purpose which did not turn out well due to low light conditions for highschool football. I then purchased a fuji minidvd which I returned after one game. I then got some advice from a (pro) a Circuit City that said Sony was the best which was Hard drive format One game and it was gone to So I decided to get what has been reliable camera being Canon product I tried to get an GL-2 but found a good deal on the XL-1 with low hours. My wonder wife does the line close ups and shes does a good job at it.

This camera freaked me out at first until I found this site which has been a god send the info here is unbelievable I get on just about everyday to view the community forum Don. P has helped me out a bunch not to mention others. thanks everyone!!!

Mike Teutsch October 23rd, 2007 08:46 AM

Hi Joe,

First, welcome to the forum, glad to have you with us. I'll try to answer some of your questions. One or two bits of advice, we need more specs on the computer than just the hard drive size and please throw a paragraph break in there once in a while to make it easier to read your posts.

When you say that your computer has a 40gb hard drive that indicates to me that is it pretty old. Back then the processors were probably less than 1GHz in speed and they had very little RAM. Tough to edit well on them, but not impossible.

Also, with only a 40gb drive, it must be kind of full. They need to have room to work. Once they get about 3/4 full they can't function well anymore. Has it been defragmented lately?

Check your system specs and let us know what they are. Speed, RAM, etc..

Not too much you can do when you have low light except adjust the camera as best you can. You will get grain in it, but you will get the shot. None of the small chip cameras are good in low light.

Good luck and ask some specific questions and we will try to help you out.

Mike

Joe Hanna October 23rd, 2007 10:57 AM

Joe from WV

Operating system Microsoft XP Home Addition

Version 2002

Service Pack 2
Intell (R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.66GHZ 768 Ram
Free hard drive space 24 GB
display adapter NVIDIA GEFORCE FX 5200
ACPI UNIPROCESSOR
DVD NEC ND 1100A
Thanks for your interest I do Defrag before Using Pinnacle Tell me what you think of the system

Reid Bailey October 23rd, 2007 01:04 PM

Joe,

Welcome. I'm originally from way up in Keyser and grew up across the line in MD.

As you've noticed this site is a wealth of info. Plan to spend many hours trolling through it.

Joe Hanna October 23rd, 2007 01:55 PM

Wv

Hey Reid, Spent some time around keyser last year around playoff time Keyser defeated my beloved Magnolia Blue Eagles in the first round. We played at Frankfort. Your probably know the area well. Good luck finding info you need