G'day from Sydney Australia - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

These Are the People in Your Neighborhood
Introduce yourself! Who you are, what you're doing & using.

Old July 16th, 2003, 05:08 AM   #16
Capt. Quirk

Welcome Jeremy- If you plan on going into the water with your cam, keep in mind most housings start at about $1000 USD.

I edited surf video for a year, for SurfGuru.com. All of their footage was taken from the beach, using anything from a digi 8 to a Pana 3CCD mini DV. Our waves might be closer to shore than yours, and definately much smaller, so that might mean you would want a stronger zoom lens. Hope this helps some.
K. Forman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2003, 10:26 PM   #17
Trustee

Jeremy,

the XM2 is a good choice for shooting surfing. I use an XL1 but will be adding a housed XM when I get back to Aus. Housing wise the best value for money I have found is the Ikelite GL/XM housing, it's not the cheapest available @ US$1300 but feature and reliability wise I think it's one of the best around.
Adrian Douglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2004, 11:00 PM   #18
Regular Crew

New "New Boot"

Hello,

I guess I'm the "New Boot" for now.

I live in Sydney, Australia but was born in Korea. Lived in Sydney for most of my life.

I got into video because my wife wanted to video our first born (and any future kids). My interest initially lay in photography and I was dead set against video. Thought they were a waste of money.

I gave in to my wife's suggestion and bought myself a Sony TRV-22. Funnily enough, it was quite fun to record. I edited on my work's powerbook and iMovie, and soon realised that I needed my own computer system for editing.

I convinced my wife that we needed our own computer, and being a long time Mac fan, got an iMac.

Did some fun projects here and there, and my friend asked me to do his wedding for him. I don't think he was expecting a "rewatchable" wedding movie, but he suggested that I seriously consider getting paid for any future wedding jobs.

So now I'm doing weddings part time and my "arsenal" has grown to a Sony VX2100 using FCE as the editing system, and putting it all on DVDs for my clients.

I think DV with readily available NLEs has changed the video landscape quite a lot. I just hope that I don't fall into the trap of building up equipment to force my family to move to a bigger house, before I can hone my video taking skills.

What's even more ironic in some ways is that I told my wife that there was no way we were getting a wedding video done at our wedding - but after looking at what is possible, I'm the one shooting weddings.

I hope I haven't bored anyone :)

cheers,
Peter
Peter TK Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2004, 04:11 AM   #19
RED Code Chef

Welcome aboard Peter! We have a dedicated forum for wedding
videographers, which you've no doubt already found. Good to
have you with us.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2004, 06:50 AM   #20
Regular Crew

Yeah :)
Peter TK Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2005, 08:29 PM   #21
Regular Crew

Sydney, Australia

Hi name's Dan and I live in Manly which is an awesome place to live (beach, close to the city etc) - unless you want to do anything with your life as it's an easy place to do nothing!

I just bought a PD150 which I plan to use to make shorts in my own time and corporates and other stuff to make a living.

I guess I am a writer by instinct but I'm starting to really get into photography and camera work, so on the digital side of things I'm keen to get to know all the nuts and bolts so I can produce the best images I can.

This site looks like a pretty good resource!

Cheers everyone, catch you on the boards.
Daniel Stevenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2005, 04:36 AM   #22
RED Code Chef

Hi Daniel! Welcome aboard (H)DVInfo.net. It's good to have you with us!

Old June 27th, 2005, 12:49 AM   #23
New Boot

Gday from Sydney

Hi all. Nice little (maybe not so little) community you have here. I love the real name idea. Promotes a nice atmosphere.

I'm new to video editing so I'll have a few questions I'm sure. I come from Sydney as the title suggests but was originally from Macedonia which is a small country North of Greece for those that have not heard of it. I've been living here for 17 years now and absolutely love the Sydney life. It sure is a change of pace from my birth place.

I'm an avid gamer (what some would call hard core) but I'm slowly getting over it and video editing seems like something I could get into. I love my cars and have burned lots of money on them over the years and that's one passion I guess I won't ever get over. I also race go-karts which I've found to be a great release. Keeps my angry driving on the track where it's controlled instead of on the road. Not that I'm an angry driver...

Anyway, I had an idea about 4 nights ago and I just haven't been able to shake it off so I'm here to pursue it.

cheers
George Miskovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2005, 05:42 AM   #24
Regular Crew

GDay From Downunder Manly/Sydney

GDay there,

I have been a member of this board for quite a while but have never really ventured into this subject/forum until one late night the other week.

So here is my belated Hello to everyone from Manly, Sydney. Actually I am not a true Australian but a pommy (Australian for englishman)! God knows where that comes from.

I am an avid film-maker here in Sydney. I have only been doing it for just over 1 year, so still relatively new, but I love it! I have got myself involved in local film clubs/organisations, and have learnt heaps. Coming from an IT background and working in new media it's been an easy transitition. At the moment I work as an architect in IT, but maybe one day I might be a feature film maker :)

Anyone else who is cooking up films, and enjoy film making in Sydney then feel free to drop me a line.

Cheers

Robert

www.robertrobertproductions.com
Robert Double is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2005, 06:54 AM   #25
New Boot

Hi From Oz

hi everyone.

im glen, live in sydney aust, and im an absolute panny fanatic for the past 2 years and i cant believe i only just found this place.
i have posted in other video forums and get truck loads of garbage and end up more confused than i was before posting threads :( at least i now have a place to call home especially that there are dedicated spaces for different camera users like us PANNY fans etc.

i run a small home based business called MediaWorks, and the core of my work involves video and photo processing which i started about 2 years ago.
filming isnt the core part of my business but i do take on filming projects when im asked, i dont go out looking for it and the only work i dont do with my cameras is weddings, i leave that to the big guns in town, although i do have some better gear than others who do actually do the weddings circiut.

my first cam was a panny NV-GS70 (well i actually bought 2 of them in hong kong, saved $1000au on the retail cost here in oz) i sold one for a profit and bought some extra batteries and a camera light with the profits and used the other cam for everyday stuff at home and family gatherings etc.
not long after i bought a friends newish panny MX500 which was a great cam as well, used it to film heaps of stuff, i then sold that and got the newer GS400 which became my main cam until 2 mths ago (yep thats right i upgraded again :) but it was really by accident that i did.

i did a corporate video shoot for a small company and they hired a canon XL2 for me to use and thats when i decided i had to get the new panny DVX100-AE cos for me the XL2 was a bummer of a cam to use, looks nice but a mother to handle, not very well balanced and i didnt like the baby lcd screen compared to the 3.5" on the DVX100 and the GS400 models, so my profits on that shoot bought me the DVX and i just luv that baby, and my GS400 is my support act when i need one (mainly outdoors)
dont get me wrong people, im not saying the canon XL2 is a bad camera, for me its just not right in the handling department and that was the foremost concideration for me as much as all the features and the DVX100AE just won my choice hands down.
i should point out that the DVX100AE i got retails here in oz for around $5000+ and i got mine 2nd hand for $2500au with additional lens with barn doors, 2 extra 3 hr batteries, and a beskor klk-50 on cam light kit (this cam was 4 mths old with 6 hours on the clock) so i got the deal of a lifetime that i couldnt pass up. ive already been offered $5000 for the complete outfit as it is now so maybe i could do another upgrade (just kidding, i luv this little girl too much)

as i mentioned i dont do a lot of filming with my business, i mix it up with video and photo processing, i like the processing side of things more i think, and the photo work helps break the manotomy a bit.
my video processing work involves transferring clients dv and anolog video tapes to dvd, and vhs tape conversions are a large proportion of my work, and i do quite a lot of it at the moment and its a great feeling taking those big old vhs tapes from clients and putting it all together on dvd for them. some clients also want the original footage dubbed to a dv tape which i also do as well.
i also create dvd photo slideshows using Muvee AutoProducer and add those to my clients dvd videos as well.
my photo processing work involves all kinds of photo processing from cropping, resizing, enhancements, archiving, dvd photo slideshows, photo restorations and repairs, and photo printing services.
its a great business to be in, very competative to say the least, but very enjoyable and rewarding work.

anyway, thats it from me, i can go on forever. its been great to find this place and im sure this will not be the last time ill be back here :)

cheers everyone and have a nice day.....GLEN
Glen Pinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2005, 03:23 AM   #26
RED Code Chef

Hi Glen, welcome aboard (H)DVInfo.net! Good to have you aboard!

Old December 10th, 2005, 09:12 PM   #27
Regular Crew

Another aussie...

Hi, I am a 17yo male from Sydney Australia and have been reading up on this forum for some time now, great site you guys have here. I have been involved in Pro TV production and broadcast since I was 12yo! I currently work for Foxtel in Sydney fulltime but am about to go freelance with my soon to be ordered Canon XL H1 among other gear.

It's great to see we have alot of aussies on this forum!

Cheers,
Ash
Ashley Hosking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2006, 07:44 AM   #28
RED Code Chef

Hi Ashley and welcome aboard (H)DVInfo.net! My appologies for such a late
welcome note. We're glad to have you aboard!

Old January 30th, 2006, 07:21 AM   #29
Major Player

G'day from Sydney

Heya all,

Just a noob with an old Hi8 Handycam that I really hate using, wanting to start doing docos for television once I get either a Z1, or a HD-101. Kind of a big jump huh? I hope they last longer than 3 years. I'm looking for at least a 8-10 year investment. I'm told the JVC is the one to get.
Leo Pepingco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2006, 09:43 AM   #30
RED Code Chef

Hello Leo, welcome aboard (H)DVInfo.net, good to have you with us!

Rob Lohman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood