Posting from Salt Lake City, UT at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood

These Are the People in Your Neighborhood
Introduce yourself! Who you are, what you're doing & using.

Old January 11th, 2008, 12:08 AM   #1
New Boot

Posting from Salt Lake City, UT

Hello. My name is Marty Mankins. I originally grew up in Garden Grove, CA and lived there until my move to Salt Lake City, Utah 20 years ago.

My interest in digital video began many, many years ago when I bought my first camcorder (Sony CCD-TR416) and used it to film my new daughter, trips, vacations and various events. Most of the footage I took was eventually sucked into a Quadra 700 using Adobe Premier (eventually lost to a hard drive crash).

Fast forward to April 2006 when I bought a MacBook Pro 15" and started playing around with iMovie and getting back into this whole thing.

I currently have a Canon ZR-500, which has served me well, but I always lust after something better (Canon HV20).

I would like to get more into this field, moving past iMovie and onto FCE/FCP or Adobe Premier Pro CS3 and upgrading the Mac to a Mac Pro or at least a well-configured 20" iMac with a second display.
Marty Mankins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2008, 12:46 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Hi Marty

I'm in SLC also. I shoot mostly my kids and places I travel. I have had my XHA1 for a year now and finally gave up trying to get Vegas to capture my video. I wanted to do a holiday short of the kids and used iMovie. I think it worked great for the quick job I put together.
Regards,
Steve
Steve Kachocki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2008, 10:21 PM   #3
New Boot

Hey Steve. Nice to see another Salt Lake video enthusiast out here. And your choice in camera is good. I've seen a couple of those in use recently and it's very capable.

I've been pretty busy the last month with a lot of non-video related work, but am working on getting a few more films done this year.
Marty Mankins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2008, 04:56 PM   #4
New Boot

Marty - I'm in Pleasant Grove (20 miles south of Salt Lake City) but I grew up in Fountain Valley. Went to Garden Grove 5th ward if you're LDS. I also moved here 20 years ago.

Steve- I used a demo copy of Vegas about 9 months ago and it seemed to work with my XHA1. Bummer it's not working for you. Anyway, I use FCP now.

Anyway - nice to meet you guys.
David Adamic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2008, 12:11 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Fcp

Yea, now that I am using a Mac, I wish I had waited and gotten FCP. But, didn't know I would get so hooked on MacBook that I would want to switch. So, for now its iMovie or try to work with Vegas. Vegas will capture with down converted video but has difficulty with the HD video. Known issue.
Good to meet you.
Old February 26th, 2008, 01:04 PM   #6
Major Player

Nuther one from the SLC!
Chris Luker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2008, 08:20 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Hi Chris...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Luker View Post
Nuther one from the SLC!
Hi Chris, do you shoot video for a living or as a hobby? And what camera are you using?

I noticed that I didn't mention below that I used to be a videographer for a living, then went to cooking school--long story.

Anyway, I missed the camera and moving images, so bought myself an XHA1 and now am waiting to get home from a trip where FC Studio is waiting for me.

Good to meet you all!
Old March 29th, 2008, 11:32 AM   #8
Regular Crew

AWESOME! More people from Utah. I don't live in SLC but I'm a regular when shooting docs. Hope to run into you guys someday.
George David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2008, 07:30 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Final Cut Studio

Anyone in SLC using Final Cut and/or Canon XHA1?
Interested in getting together for an informal user's group?
Sometimes its nice to share knowledge of cameras and editing to learn more.

I was a producer/director years ago who got an A1 a year ago and now am trying to learn to use FCP. I now know more about culinary arts than video, and would be willing to trade food for digital video knowledge.

Anyone in SLC interested in getting together for a digital video with food conference?
Old May 5th, 2008, 10:12 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Also from the Salt Lake City area and always interested in meeting others with interests similar to mine.
Jared Teter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2008, 07:31 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Also from SLC - Sandy, actually... Corporate and commercial work. Edit with Vegas (I'm a certified Sony trainer), but have FCP for boutique work can't say I could teach it as well though.

Jared - used your Elk shot for the King's Camo spot we did last year if you remember - I'm friends with Kory and Kelvin.

Mike
Michael Chenoweth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2008, 12:54 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Mike,
Yes I remember that elk shot. Too bad it didn't end up in the final cut. I have heard a lot about you. We should get together with Kory or Kelvin for lunch sometime.
Jared Teter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2008, 05:41 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Jared,

email me at

chenopup at gmail dot com

I'll get you my phone # and we can do lunch.

mike
Michael Chenoweth is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood