DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   These Are the People in Your Neighborhood (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/these-people-your-neighborhood/)
-   -   Hello from Alberta (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/these-people-your-neighborhood/11241-hello-alberta.html)

Phil French June 24th, 2003 10:38 PM

Hello from Alberta

Hi everyone! I'd just like to reintroduce myself. I am an XL1s user who has had my camera for over a year now. I've been learning how to use the camera and editing and I have completed a few projects relating to nature and the outdoors. I have also built up some stock nature footage and a database which I intend to use for future projects. I have also done some commercial stuff. Video has become a big part of my life even though it is a sideline for now.

On June 27th I'm leaving on a trip that I have wanted to take and have been planning for a couple of years now. I am planning on hiking, rafting and canoeing the entire length of our province's Red Deer River. It is a 620 km trip which passes through all of the scenery Alberta has to offer. The Rocky Mountains, boreal forest, parkland & prairie, and the badlands will provide the backdrop for this adventure. Of course my XL1s is coming along with me!

I have taken measures to protect my camera from the elements which include a Pelican case, a SurfAce Splashbag and a Portabrace Rainslicker. Now if my back will just hold out...

Ken Tanaka June 24th, 2003 10:45 PM

That's one heck of a journey you're planning. As an annual visitor to Alberta (Banff and Lake Louise area) I can appreciate the country -- and the back strain -- you'll see. I'm envious! Good luck!

Andrew Petrie June 25th, 2003 07:26 AM

Wow, wish I was coming with you!

Rob Lohman July 11th, 2003 06:29 AM

Good luck on your trip and would be interesting to see footage
once you return! Have a safe journey.

Dylan Couper July 11th, 2003 01:29 PM

cool! How many batteries are you taking with you?

Phil French July 16th, 2003 08:33 PM

Well I'm back and I survived and more importantly so did my XL1s!

The SurfAce Splashbag definitely protects the camera from the water, unfortunately it protects it from me as well. It took some getting used to and what I could do with it was limited, but it did work. I used it mainly in the whitewater sections of the river.

The Rainslicker was a definite asset even though I had little rain. I used it to protect the camera from splashes when I was canoeing and some of the thrashing it might otherwise take in the bush. I'm used to operating with the rainslicker now and I feel comfortable using it.

The Pelican case protected all my other camcorder equipment flawlessly.

My back did hold out partly thanks to a steady diet of Robaxasil.

I took my two rechargeable Canon batteries, Dylan, and there were opportunities to recharge along the way. I also took two expedition batteries that I got from ZGC which I used when I had to.

Now I'm unpacking and have to deal with all the the chores that have built up while I've been gone. I hope to review my tape next week and see what I have. I'm also planning to revisit some of the places along the way and pickup some more quality establishing shots (such as Lake Louise - my starting point). I also might get some commentary or interviews with some of the interesting people that I met along the way. Much of the Red Deer River valley is in my backyard so I have some decent stock footage I can use also. There is a lot of work ahead of me but I'm looking forward to it! It makes such a difference when you enjoy what you are doing.

Andrew Petrie July 17th, 2003 06:57 AM

If you're doing it again anytime soon, let me know and I'll drive up with my XL1s and go with you!

Phil French July 17th, 2003 09:59 AM

I definitely could have used a second camera, but I doubt if I'll be doing that trek again anytime soon. Maybe next time I do something like this I'll put out a posting for anyone who is interested. If there are any people in Alberta, B.C. or Saskatchewan that are interested in working on projects together or need an extra camera for their projects I would certainly be open to that.