DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   These Are the People in Your Neighborhood (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/these-people-your-neighborhood/)
-   -   SE Wisconsinite here... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/these-people-your-neighborhood/112833-se-wisconsinite-here.html)

Aaron Courtney January 21st, 2008 01:55 PM

SE Wisconsinite here...

Thought I would put a formal introduction on paper here to give some background on myself so everyone can understand my strengths and weaknesses vis-a-vis my responses in various threads on this site.

I'm a 36-year old male who puts food on the table as an IT consultant to small businesses primarily in the financial investment advisory sector. Besides the obvious need for technology guidance, I can uniquely offer software development services in Advent Software's proprietary report writing language (RepLang) used in the company's The Professional Portfolio, Axys, and Portfolio Exchange products (portfolio management software used to interface with custodians, e.g., Schwab, TD Ameritrade, Fidelity, etc., for client reporting/management/trading functions).

I also have performed commercial mastering services for corporate audio projects. I have used SoundForge for nearly 12 years for this purpose. My primary set of mastering plug-ins over the past decade has been from TC Electronic (have been with them since ver 1 days - floppy discs, LOL) and Waves (Native PowerPack when it was first released). Obviously, this area of software has literally exploded in both popularity and development since I first began doing this. I am now evaluating TC's Power Core platform moving forward, while sticking with some of Waves' more popular plugs. I'm using SF v.8 right now.

Over the years, I have also assembled a very nice 32-track digital recording studio that is completely portable for on-location tracking. I'm using two Yamaha 01V's with adat interface cards feeding a MOTU 2408 interfaced to Digital Performer on the Mac. I also have two awesome sounding Presonus DigiMax's - good for 16 digi tracks as well. I love using these things on drum kits and other loud, dynamic instruments because their compressors and limiters are just killer sounding. It's very easy to dial up a fat, full sound with these babies. Other outboard gear from Focusrite, dbx, Furman, Marshall, etc. is also rack mounted for easy transport. Also have two SKB cases full of road worthy mic's - AT's (handy AT822), AKG's (versatile SE300), SM57's/58's, love the KSM-32's & 44's!, N/D868 - nice EV kick drum mic, need more vocals and some lav's.

As a kid, I spent a lot of my time in still photography mostly due to my father being a pro. We had a full color darkroom in the basement of the house. I did all of my own rolling (give me nice stainless steel cans over those cheap plastic ones anyday), developing, and printing. I remember reading the Zone System as a teenager, LOL, so I have a really solid understanding of the fundamentals. My weakness is definitely the creative side since almost all of my high school work was done shooting sports where you're merely trying to capture (in focus LOL, appropriate DOF, good exposure) an event in a game or sporting event, not tell a story with a photo or twist reality. I was never very comfortable shooting cameo's although I did take a second place best cameo photo at a University of Iowa high school photo workshop so go figure...

So I have a lot to learn as far as the cinematography aspect goes in the video world. My NLE of choice is obviously Vegas given my extensive background with SoundForge. I remember when Vegas was first developed primarily on the SF platform as an adjunct to the audio editor. It appears that Sony has kept the original Sonic Foundry development team together after the purchase which is probably why these programs have maintained a very consistent user interface during their development cycles.

In matters somewhat unrelated to DV Info, I am the father of four and married. I also moderate a couple of bodybuilding/fitness boards. I have competed professionally as a powerlifter. 2005 was a decent year where I set an All Time top 20 deadlift world record (830 lbs. @ 242 bwt), won the USPF US Open, and finished #2 in the U.S. and top 5 in the world. Now, the U.S. Bobsled team has asked me to attend a push camp at the Lake Placid Oly Training Center (remember Willie Gault, LOL). So we'll see what happens with that...