DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   These Are the People in Your Neighborhood (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/these-people-your-neighborhood/)
-   -   Anyone else from Alaska? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/these-people-your-neighborhood/113526-anyone-else-alaska.html)

Ken Civian January 29th, 2008 09:03 PM

Anyone else from Alaska?

I've been checking out the forums here, mostly the Under Water, Over Land section. Some very talented folks here for sure.

I've been a hobbyist videographer and editor for several years and finally got a good camera this year (dvx 100b). I've had a lot of fun with FCP, recently got a new Mac Pro with FCS 2. This year I'm hoping to put together some wildlife footage.

I have a lot to learn and wondering if there are any other members from AK here.

Ken

Gabe Strong January 30th, 2008 02:31 AM

Ya, I think there may be a few of us Alaskans on here. I'm one of the only ones outside the big city 'Anchorage'. I live down in Juneau. I think John Conn from DotConn Productions in Palmer posts on here once in awhile, and there's another guy that works for KIMO in Anchorage on here that I've talked with. Then I think there are a couple hobbyists from Anchorage and at least one from Fairbanks. Anyways, feel free to ask any questions!

Gabe Strong
www.gforcevideo.com

Will Mahoney January 30th, 2008 08:18 AM

It's way too cold in Alaska for people...:)

Shawn McCalip January 30th, 2008 05:31 PM

Welcome to the forum!

I'm in Alaska too, and while it is cold right now, I suppose it could always be worse...

I used to be the Production Manager at KIMO Channel 13 here in Anchorage. I left just a few weeks ago to be the production manager at a production house called BuzzBizz Studios, which is interestingly enough only a couple doors down from KIMO.

Just like Gabe said above, ask away! This forum has some very bright and knowledgeable participants, so you're in a good spot!

Gabe Strong January 31st, 2008 03:21 AM

Shawn is the other guy I was thinking of, but it has been awhile since I've been on, and I forgot his name!.....I suck.

I actually had a 7 month contract to do some live webcasts up there in Anchorage and one day I parked my rental and was walking down Tudor. Went right by KIMO and Buzzbizz Studios. For some reason I had the impression they were a graphic design firm or something. How is it there? Hopefully it's a good move for you (my initial impression would be that moving to a production company from KIMO would be good for your career as I'd guess they do higher end stuff.) Some of the production companies there in Anchorage do some really really good work.

Shawn McCalip January 31st, 2008 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gabe Strong (Post 817526)
I suck.

Nahhh, in my experiences, someone has to do quite a bit more than forgetting someone's name- who they never met!

Quote:

For some reason I had the impression they were a graphic design firm or something. How is it there? Hopefully it's a good move for you (my initial impression would be that moving to a production company from KIMO would be good for your career as I'd guess they do higher end stuff.) Some of the production companies there in Anchorage do some really really good work.
BuzzBizz started out doing audio production and then moved into graphic design, printing, and web design. People started asking if they did video, so the owner got himself set up with some equipment and well, we do video too!

I really like working here. I still do an occasional commercial here and there, but I get to do more long-form editing and multi-camera editing. And yes, it is a bit more higher-end than from where I came from. The best parts being that I play in After Effects alot more, and I'm trying to get some more 3D work, since I think that's a ton of fun.

It has plenty of new challenges too. I still edit using Premiere Pro on one machine, but I have other projects on a Final Cut Studio system, which seems like a totally different language to me right now. It took me 2 weeks before I felt relatively comfortable doing some basic editing in FCP, but I think I've barely scratched the surface... Even after nearly a month of working with a Mac, I still don't understand how it's supposedly "easier"!

Gabe Strong February 1st, 2008 12:44 PM

It has plenty of new challenges too. I still edit using Premiere Pro on one machine, but I have other projects on a Final Cut Studio system, which seems like a totally different language to me right now. It took me 2 weeks before I felt relatively comfortable doing some basic editing in FCP, but I think I've barely scratched the surface... Even after nearly a month of working with a Mac, I still don't understand how it's supposedly "easier"![/QUOTE]

Shawn, I am from the other side, I've been using FCP since it came out. The local PBS station (KTOO) just switched from Media 100 to FCP. They hired Weynand Training International (www.weynand.com) to come to Juneau and hold a three day training class for FCP for station employees. After the class, I was over there bringing by some tapes for a monthly freelance contract I have with them. The station GM and editor pulled me into the edit bay and had a bunch of questions for me. After I showed them how to do a bunch of basic stuff, they decided they wanted to hire me as a consultant and backup editor as they said even going through an intensive class wasn't enough. So basically, I think it just takes time, I only know have been using it forever so it seems like it's simple to me. The good news is that i seem to recall that Premiere was kind of similar to FCP, I was able to help someone on Premiere using what I knew from FCP. Actually, Scott Jensen from KTUU was down here in Juneau with Megan Baldino and they were using Vegas on a laptop. Scott stepped out for a minute and Megan had a question on how to move the time marker in Vegas so I went over there and what do you know.....it used JKL just like FCP. So I think you will be fine in no time as all these NLE's have a lot of similarities.....just have to figure out the 20% where they are different.

Congratulations on your move! I wish you the best, it sounds like fun!

Ian Planchon February 1st, 2008 08:29 PM

did you see wether the ch.2 laptop was vegas 5 still? I remember when we put that thing on that laptop, almost 4 years ago I think. I hope they updated it since then. the thing worked like a champ in thailand, but they really need to put 8 on there if they havent already.

i think there are a bunch of alaskans on here that stalk the pages but dont say much, so good luck finding them.

Ken Civian March 5th, 2008 11:51 PM

Well I think it's common for Alaskans to stalk things and not say much.

Shawn McCalip March 6th, 2008 12:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken Civian (Post 838103)
Well I think it's common for Alaskans to stalk things and not say much.

Haha! Only because we're avoiding the inevitable questions like:

"How do you put up with a whole year of darkness?"
"Wow, there's REALLY internet access up there?"
and one of my favorites...
"How do you manage to function with so much snow???"

Even though I'm not originally from Alaska, I've never heard of any other place in the USA where people ask questions like that...

It's amusing- but in small doses!

Ken Civian March 7th, 2008 06:14 PM

Hey Shawn, I sent you an email through the link in your profile yesterday.
Ken

Gabe Strong March 7th, 2008 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shawn McCalip (Post 838128)
Haha! Only because we're avoiding the inevitable questions like:

"How do you put up with a whole year of darkness?"
"Wow, there's REALLY internet access up there?"
and one of my favorites...
"How do you manage to function with so much snow???"

Even though I'm not originally from Alaska, I've never heard of any other place in the USA where people ask questions like that...

It's amusing- but in small doses!

Hmmm....I've heard from tourists...

"Do you take American money here?"
(A) as much as possible!

"Why is the glacier so dirty?"
(A) because it's SOOO expensive to clean

"How far above sea level are we here?".....as they get off their cruise ship.
(A) Um....I'm not even going to go there.

"Where is all the iglos you live in?"
(A) Probably right next to the penguins and polar bears

Ya, a lot of crazy misconceptions going around. I had actual relatives that asked me if I drove a dogsled to work.