DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   These Are the People in Your Neighborhood (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/these-people-your-neighborhood/)
-   -   Laguna Beach Ca. expatriot says aloha from Kauai! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/these-people-your-neighborhood/114687-laguna-beach-ca-expatriot-says-aloha-kauai.html)

Erik Nudd February 12th, 2008 08:59 PM

Laguna Beach Ca. expatriot says aloha from Kauai!

My name is Erik and I moved from Laguna Beach Ca. with my wife to the beautiful garden island of Kauai about 3 years ago. We also now have a 1 year old daughter.

I am relatively new to video production yet am excited to learn as much as I can. I was motivated to get my first serious videocamera, which is the Canon XH-A1 (have had other smaller ones but never got into editing much), partly due to the desire to capture precious moments with my "mini-me" but also the fact that it is so beautiful here, I wanted to capture the beauty as well. Even though watersports are a big part of my life, especially surfing, I don't think I'll shoot any surf here since it is very heavily frowned upon by the locals. May sound strange, but my feelings on this are based purely on respect for the island and the locals (it kills me too since I would probably enjoy that kind of filming more than just about anything)

I hope to one day finish scanning the "neighborhood" forum for any others who are on Kauai with possibly similar equipment or interests to learn with/from. Anyone out there.............?

Larry Price February 13th, 2008 02:25 AM

I'm not on Kaua'i, but thought I'd welcome you to the neighborhood (island and DVInfo) anyway. I'm "next door" in Hawaii Kai on O'ahu. I'm also pretty new to the video biz myself. I'm a computer network consultant in my day job, as well as part-time caregiver to my aging parents who live 5 minutes up the street.

I have a Sony HVR-A1U to start learning with. As for editing, I have Avid Studio Complete with the Media Composer and Mojo SDI upgrades. I also have Adobe CS3 Production Premium. (It was cheaper than buying Photoshop and AfterEffects individually!). Now if I could only find time to learn to use all of my toys!!!

Anyway, welcome to the forum!

Aloha,

Larry

Lorinda Norton February 13th, 2008 02:30 AM

Welcome, Erik!

Kauai…my favorite island after the bustle of Oahu. I’ve been there twice and seen it from the air three times in helicopters. It’s so beautiful!

The last time we went, I booked on a “doorless” adventure. Had a great ride, but driving up to what looked like a boxcar for an office and Vietnam War era choppers didn’t instill much confidence in me. (I think maybe the doors got shot off and were never replaced.) ;) Can’t remember the name of the company, but I wouldn’t be surprised if they’re not in business anymore. My son got some pretty pictures from the air and we all survived, though, so it was great.

If you ever run out of things to shoot, go to Wailua Falls (is that the name?) and interview one or two of the guys making/selling stuff there. I found them fascinating and would watch a short video about them! One of the fellows making baskets said it was a dying art—that he couldn’t find any young folks willing to learn. My son thought he was just saying that so I’d buy a basket from him. Now that I think about it, maybe the fellow selling the shell jewelry said the same thing as the other guy…

One more thing: What’s the story on all the chickens around there? :)

Erik Nudd February 13th, 2008 08:17 PM

Yea! People!

To Larry: Thanks for the welcome note! If you're on Oahu, then you're right down the street (or is that 100 miles across the channel?). Anyway, glad to know there are others close by with the same interests as myself. I also think that I am in the same boat as you as far as finding time to play with my toys. The more I learn about my camera from reading this info filled site (of which I am truly grateful for) and experimenting, etc., I'd like to think that it will happen more and more as time goes on. It's a thing where I first need to learn the camera a little, and as I do, the project ideas are starting to form in my head. Hope you can find time soon too.

I'm sure we can both agree that we are fortunate to live in such a beautiful place and therefore also have so much to document, etc. If I ever come to Oahu, I'll try to send a note ahead of time so we can compare notes. Mahalo!!!

To Lorinda: Thank you too for the note! I'm not sure if the doorless adventures are still around or not. We have, sadly enough, had a few copter crashes out here within the last three years. SCARY! I too am very fond of this island and traveled here for 15+ yrs prior to the move, yet (sadly also) have yet to take the heli tour. Honestly, the crashes I mentioned don't worry me and I am looking forward to taking the tour soon and hopefully I'll have my camera figured out better by then so as to get some great footage.

You are correct on the name "Wailua Falls" (just to name one of many) and it is in fact awesome. One of the many things that appealed to me about this place in general, amongst other things like the beauty of the land, is the people. Everything from their hospitality, generosity, and humbleness. They treat strangers like "ohana" ("family" as I'm sure you know). It's as if every day is a new, heart warming experience. There are many truly fascinating people out here and I am anxious to video-interview the ones who are willing. I have been fortunate in the sense that I have had the privelage to meet some very interesting, deep-rooted locals who definitlely have a story to tell.

Hopefully in the next month or so, I'll have some footage available to share.

Oh, and as far as the chickens out here? "plenny of 'dem and da' buggahs fly too"! (for others reading this, yes, chickens do fly on Kauai - somewhere I have a picture of one sitting on a phone line about 30' in the air- she must think she's a pigeon - somebody should tell 'em)

Mahalo!!!!

Greg Rutkowski March 8th, 2008 09:05 AM

Hey Hawaii

Hi all,
As stated in another post...I'm living in Laguna Niguel, but born and raised in Hawaii. I get back there twice a year for summer and Christmas...be great to chat and have coffee sometime.

Erik Nudd April 1st, 2008 01:03 AM

Greg- Aloha!!! Sorry about the delay in reading and responding. I might be back that way soon and may bring camera too for the opening night of the Sawdust Festival in Laguna in early July. (If you've never been, get tickets and go - if you've been, then you know what I'm talking about). Anyhow, I appreciate the note and coffee would be great. I am definitely interested in meeting and talking with others with the same interests. I'l send a note if me and the family head east to the west coast!

Aloha!

Tague Hurley October 27th, 2008 03:38 PM

On the Move to Kauai

Hi Erik,

I am actually moving to Kauai in about a month. I've been working in Southern California for the last 4 years shooting and editing mostly action sports. I am currently finishing up my first full length documentary and then moving to Kauai to surf and take a break from the hustle and bustle of SoCal. I own a Panasonic DVX100B and a Canon GL2. I edit with Final Cut Pro and have done tons of Authoring with DVD Studio Pro. I'd be interested to see what you are working on and go for a surf at some of the spots I can't mention here.

Aloha,
Tague