DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   These Are the People in Your Neighborhood (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/these-people-your-neighborhood/)
-   -   A Swiss guy in Maryland (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/these-people-your-neighborhood/122138-swiss-guy-maryland.html)

Vasco Dones May 21st, 2008 03:52 PM

A Swiss guy in Maryland

Hello everyone,
my name is Vasco, have been lurking around here for quite a while & just started
giving back my two cents to the forum.
Worked 20+ years for Swiss Public TV (as a producer, reporter & director), moved to the US four years ago, now free-lancing in the one-man-band mode
(and usually end up working for the same guys at Swiss TV...)
Equipment:
Canon XH-A1 (dual standard: PAL & NTSC), a bunch of shotguns & lavs (wired & wireless), an ENG-44 mixer, two sets of lights, etc.
I still edit with Premiere 6.5 & Canopus RaptorRT on a fairly old no-name Pentium 2.4GHz (affectionally called Jimmy)- but as they say: "never change a winning team" (Jimmy works wonders: why dump it?)
BTW: Italian is my mother tongue; I also speak English, French, German and Swiss-German
That's all, folks.
Greetings from wonderful Rockville (despite all the jokes they make about us in downtown DC)

Vasco

Monday Isa May 21st, 2008 05:32 PM

Hey Vasco! Welcome to DVinfo. I'm up in Baltimore not to far from you. I've been at it for 6 years now myself and what a fun ride it is.

Monday

Vasco Dones May 22nd, 2008 07:55 AM

Thank you, Monday!

Vasco

Sean Smith MD May 22nd, 2008 09:19 AM

Hey hey and welcome from Baltimore.

Wow, a lot of languages. Do you do translations and voice overs?

Vasco Dones May 22nd, 2008 09:59 AM

Thank you, Sean!

Re: languages
Actually yes, I do translate documentaries and reports
for the Italian-speaking branch of Swiss Public TV
(from English, French, German and Swiss-German into Italian).
But don't ask me to translate from one of these languages into English:
my command of English is still too weak and shaky.
Voice-overs? I've done a few minor things back then.
I guess I could do Italian voice-overs, if needed...
(in a pinch, I could do some French and German stuff as well,
but the accent wouldn't be quite right, of course: close, but not the "real thing".
And I could do Swiss-German pretty well: but who on earth needs Swiss-German???)

BTW, and since you are both from Baltimore:
after devouring seasons 1 to 3,
my wife and I are currently rushing through season 4 of "The Wire"
(can't wait to get the next DVD from Blockbuster!);
we literally got addicted to it: it's stunning, beautifully written, acted and shot. A real masterpiece!

Well, ya'll have fun, guys!

Sean Smith MD May 22nd, 2008 11:09 AM

Just a suggestion, you may want to work on your English skills as you say they need improvement. Being so close to DC you may be able to expand your services with offering multi-language solutions to a diverse client based.

Good luck

Vasco Dones May 22nd, 2008 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean Smith MD (Post 881643)
you may want to work on your English skills
(...)
Good luck

Thanks, Sean.
Yep, working on my English every day, but... you know how it is with foreign languages, don't you? You never get to really master them. Damn...

Ian Stark October 31st, 2008 01:28 PM

Gotta say I think your english is outstanding!

I'm coming over from the UK to Rockville in a couple of weeks to shoot a segment for a corporate video.

Do you have any contacts in the lighting/camera support hire business? I've spoken to a couple (outside of Rockville) but they won't touch me because of my UK insurance (it won't cover me to hire hear in the States). I only need a simple lighting kit and a modest tripod (525 legs with 503 or even 501 head would work). A few people at the Baltimore Videographers Association have offered to help but they are all like 50 miles away! At a push I'll have to make the trip but if there's anyone closer . . .

Any ideas?

Also looking for a decent place to hang out in the evenings!

Thanks,

Ian . . .

M. Paul El-Darwish October 31st, 2008 02:36 PM

"BTW: Italian is my mother tongue"
Bravo. Anche io parlo il Italiano e son nato a Zuriggo. Abito in Gaithersburg e parlo Inglese perfettamente!
Contact me and lets share a bira ;)

Jim Forrest February 4th, 2009 03:33 PM

Welcome. I am not to far from you in Silver Spring.
Retired last year after 25 years at NBC4 in Washington DC as a shooter/editor.
Right now have my own gear and looking for some freelance work.
You will like the area....much to do and see.
Best
Jim

Vasco Dones February 4th, 2009 03:48 PM

Thanks, Jim.
I DO like the area! (actually, I love it)
Take care

Vasco

Daniel Weber February 4th, 2009 09:38 PM

Welcome to DV Info

I moved to the DC area in 2002 from California. I work in Silver Spring, though most of my work takes me out of the country. There are a bunch of DC people here on DV Info. Gary Krimstein lives up in Gaithersburg and is a freelance producer like you.

It would be nice at some point in time to set up a meeting for all the DC based DV Info people. Good to have the chance to network.

Dan Weber

Vasco Dones February 4th, 2009 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daniel Weber (Post 1006776)
It would be nice at some point in time to set up a meeting for all the DC based DV Info people. Good to have the chance to network.
Dan Weber

Dan,
sounds like an excellent idea to me!
Best

Vasco

Michael Liebergot February 5th, 2009 08:39 AM

Vasco, welcome to my part of the world.
Cold enough for you yet. Sorry that we don't get much snow here, just freezing rain and cold during the winter months.

Jim Forrest February 5th, 2009 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daniel Weber (Post 1006776)
I moved to the DC area in 2002 from California. I work in Silver Spring, though most of my work takes me out of the country. There are a bunch of DC people here on DV Info. Gary Krimstein lives up in Gaithersburg and is a freelance producer like you.

Dan Weber

Sounds good to me.

Jim