DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   These Are the People in Your Neighborhood (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/these-people-your-neighborhood/)
-   -   Hi, from Wales UK (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/these-people-your-neighborhood/123663-hi-wales-uk.html)

Anthony J. Howe June 12th, 2008 11:53 PM

Hi, from Wales UK

Just a note to introduce myself, I'm Tony and I started out with a cine camera at the age of fifteen, splicing etc, etc. That was many years ago and now in my early fifties.
Nine years ago I took up videography mainly for weddings and some other functions. I also do photography (professionally for 2 years) for weddings only and usually combine that with videography. In fact I'm off to a wedding this morning for photos and video (in a hotel) and again tomorrow for a church wedding for video only.

The past two days I have been browsing the forum and picked up a lot of wealthy information , techniques and tips, it goes to show that your never too old to learn.
Thanks for sharing your experiences and I'm looking forward to learn more and I hope too that I can contribute in any way.

Paul Kellett June 13th, 2008 04:04 AM

Hi Anthony, welcome aboard, from someone not a million miles away.

Paul.

Phil Kay June 13th, 2008 07:52 AM

Depending on where in Wales you are you might be able to see me on the Isle of Man(although I live in Peel on the West coast so you'd need to be quite tall...:0)

David Dwyer June 15th, 2008 05:07 AM

Well Hello I'm living in Cardiff at the moment!

Anthony J. Howe June 30th, 2008 11:44 PM

Thanks for your greetings.
I'm in the north part of Wales a little place named Rhos-on-sea.
Sorry for the delay in replying, but being a little busy, video-ing weddings at a castle (Bodelwyddan), a church (Northop) and on a beach (Barmouth) since my first post and going through the edits.

Paul Kellett July 1st, 2008 03:25 AM

Hi Anthony.
How are you getting on with the weddings ? Are you just starting out ?
I'm just starting out with weddings,done 4 now, working with someone established.
Although i want to film anything and everything.

Paul.

Anthony J. Howe July 1st, 2008 02:52 PM

Hi Paul, This is my 8th year in doing weddings in videography and the third year in doing photography. I have a small team, an assistant videographer and an assistant photographer.
Depending on the size of the wedding I may work alone. But if I do video and photography I always have the team with me. I do video far more than photography though.
There are quite a lot of photographers in North wales but only few videographers.
I enjoy doing weddings and have a lot of fun editing the film, even though I have a basic idea in editing the day I do my best to be creative and try to make each video different.
Other than weddings my last other project was doing a film for the Disability of Wales and in particular video-ing slapping skins.

Colin McDonald July 1st, 2008 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anthony J. Howe (Post 901741)
Other than weddings my last other project was doing a film for the Disability of Wales and in particular video-ing slapping skins.

I was unfamiliar with the expression "slapping skins" so I googled it. I wish now that I hadn't.
:-)

What do you mean by it, if I may ask?

Paul Kellett July 2nd, 2008 02:48 AM

Anthony.
Your quite well established then.
If you need another cam/operator on any shoots then give me a shout, i don't mind travelling.

Paul.

Anthony J. Howe July 2nd, 2008 03:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colin McDonald (Post 901757)
I was unfamiliar with the expression "slapping skins" so I googled it. I wish now that I hadn't.
:-)

What do you mean by it, if I may ask?

Google it and you will come up with all sorts of weird things. Slapping skins is actually african drums (Djembe), where they actually beat the skin (or slap) that's over the over the top part of the drum.
It was a form of exercise for those disabled to take part in it themselves. This was only a small part of the video.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Kellett (Post 902006)
Anthony.
Your quite well established then.
If you need another cam/operator on any shoots then give me a shout, i don't mind travelling.

Paul.

Thanks Paul, I will keep it mind.

Colin McDonald July 2nd, 2008 04:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anthony J. Howe (Post 902020)
Slapping skins is actually african drums (Djembe), where they actually beat the skin (or slap) that's over the over the top part of the drum.
It was a form of exercise for those disabled to take part in it themselves. This was only a small part of the video.

Thanks for that Anthony. I feel rather silly now as I'm a school Head of Music, but I had honestly never heard the term before. It all makes sense now.

We do a lot of drumkit work and that has been frequently described in colourful terms by the staff in the technology department through the wall, but that's one they missed too (as in "could you lot please cease slapping your skins so I can teach my class!").

Anthony J. Howe July 2nd, 2008 06:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colin McDonald (Post 902033)
Thanks for that Anthony. I feel rather silly now as I'm a school Head of Music, but I had honestly never heard the term before. It all makes sense now.

We do a lot of drumkit work and that has been frequently described in colourful terms by the staff in the technology department through the wall, but that's one they missed too (as in "could you lot please cease slapping your skins so I can teach my class!").

For you Colin, here is a clip from the DVD I produced, that shows a little of the slapping skins.
http://s289.photobucket.com/albums/l...urrent=DW3.flv

Colin McDonald July 2nd, 2008 06:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anthony J. Howe (Post 902080)
For you Colin, here is a clip from the DVD I produced, that shows a little of the slapping skins.
http://s289.photobucket.com/albums/l...urrent=DW3.flv

Thanks for that, Tony. I enjoyed that clip - it looks like they are all having fun too!