Any Fellow N.J. Police/Detectives Filmmakers Out There? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

These Are the People in Your Neighborhood
Introduce yourself! Who you are, what you're doing & using.

Old July 28th, 2003, 09:13 AM   #1
Trustee

Any Fellow N.J. Police/Detectives Filmmakers Out There?

Although my passion is filmmaking (has been since I was a wee lad) I am a police detective by trade (need to make the mortgage payment, ya know). Anyway, are there any police/fire/military chaps (and gals) out there also into this fabulous industry? Please reach out!
Hugh DiMauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2003, 06:25 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I was a State Trooper for 13 years here in South Carolina. After 2 failed marriages and being poor all the time, I decided to go to work for the phone company. More time with the family (sometimes a good thing) and not as much pressure on my family.
I would like to say " Welcome " although I am a new member as well. These are good people. You will enjoy their opinions and other helpful advice.

Thanks for what you are doing. I know you don't hear that enough.

Randy Brazell
Barry Gilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2003, 06:24 AM   #3
Trustee

Welcome Trooper Gilbert

Ahhh, South Carolina, where the folks haven't lost their manners. My introduction to South Carolina occurred at the tender age of 19 in the wee, cold hours where the friendly chaps at a place called Parris Island welcomed me with open arms. I've returned numerous times after that to Hilton Head and Charleston (I love the Charleston architecture and the serene relaxed atmosphere of Hilton Head). The Carolinians are the friendliest, warmest people I know. I hope to retire there some day. Anyhow, I know about cops and marriages. Believe me. On topic, you are probably in the best place to shoot independent films. Hell, you're probaby a hop, skip and jump from Wilmington, the movie capital of the Southeast! Welcome and always experiment with independent filmmaking. You can only get better.

Fraternally,
Hugh
Old July 29th, 2003, 11:18 AM   #4
Regular Crew

I don't know why I thought you were just joining this group. I must be seeing thinbs. Anyhow, I am glad you have good memories of this State and I hope you get a chance to visit often.

Randy Brazell
Barry Gilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2003, 07:59 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Hugh

Hey Hugh

If you ever got involved in a film that
had police/detectives in it, would your position
in law enforcement help or hinder the procurement
of real police and/or other types of law enforcement officals?

I am just curious, because a project I am developing involves such things.

Thanks in advance.

T. Patrick Murray

"The HOOP DREAMS of football..."

USA TODAY (Mike Clark) FOUR STARS
T. Patrick Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2003, 01:21 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I'm not sure why you are looking for this kind of personnel, but I can tell you that I have served in the Norwegian army (Infantry) for seven years (some years ago).

Today I am working in a small prison near my hometown, and have done that for eight years now. This spring/summer I have had the opportunity to make two movies at work. One about art in our small prison and one I'm about to edit these days. The last one is about a fire drill we had, involving police/fire/ambulance personnel and of course the officers in the prison.
Ivan Hedley Enger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2003, 01:21 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Cops & Video

I worked for a law enforcement agency in California as a television producer (civilian) for fifteen years. During that time I consistently found that I got the best cooperation when I recognized and respected that they were the law enforcement professionals and I was the TV professional. To get some insight and possibly help in dealing successfully with law enforcement, check out www.leva.org. Many law enforcement agencies have in-house video units that can be a helpful line of contact.
Mike Doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2003, 09:19 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Thanks both of you.

I am looking for cops to cooperate in making a fiction film
in the Philly area... cops who want to be actors too (playing other cops).

Anyway, such people can find me here.

Best

T. Patrick Murray

Old September 15th, 2003, 07:05 AM   #9
Trustee

Mr Murray:

I have a few work colleagues (detectives) who might be interested in your Philly based movie. We're in the Atlantic City area. Also, are you looking for camera operators/DPs? I have my own equipment. Reach out to me. (609)909-7973.

Thanks
Old September 15th, 2003, 08:01 AM   #10
Major Player

Networking

Hugh,

Mike is right on the money with his suggestion to contact LEVA.

LEVA stands for Law Enforcement / Emergency Services Video Association. The organization is going into its fourteenth year and is holding its annual international training conference just outside of Chicago in October. Take a look at the website. www.leva.org or feel free to contact me with any questions you may have.

With members all across the United States and as far as Ireland, New Zealand and Dubai, it is a great source of information and support for the law enforcement videographer.

Good luck on your project.

Stay safe, RB.
Old September 15th, 2003, 08:12 AM   #11
Major Player

Conflict of interest?

T. Patrick,

As Departmental employees, when we are doing anything related to or for our Department, or in conjunction with our Department, we have no problems pulling people who want to act. This goes as far as officers playing really bad guys in reenactments, using our police cars, helicopters, boats, etc.

If you go outside the Department to do a private sector project and you want to use our officers, things change quite a bit.

First, you would have to go through our Media Relations Bureau and get the Department's official "blessing". That would entail script, concept approval, Departmental image issues, etc. Approval is given on a case-by-case basis.

Although we are allowed to freelance, it could easily be viewed as a conflict of interest due to the free access we enjoy while on duty. Remember, you don't have to be doing anything wrong, it just has to be perceived that way.

Hope this helps,

Stay safe, RB.
Old September 16th, 2003, 04:30 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Sorry Rick

I am a bit unclear-

where would an indy filmmaker's project fall under?

In other words, I understand what you are saying about the differences between the two "types" of production (one with red tape, one without, it sounds)... but I guess I'm a little slow because I can't deduce from my limited knowledge which "type" a low-budget fiction indy film would qualify as...

What would constitute "going outside the Department"?

Because naturally, I would not go outside anyone's authority- but that's where I am still confused. What would be step one- and the proper step, since I do not want to do anything wrong.

And for the sake of argument, I needed as many policemen/actors as I could possibly get (who would work for a hot meal, a credit, a DVD of the film and a chance to work along side with at least ONE real major actor) for only ONE day, perhaps 2 days, and anything they could bring with them (that is, equipment, such as police cars) Of course, there is no high speed chase or even shooting, just the strong and powerful cinematic image of law enforcement officers arriving at the scene (with dialogue).

Anyway- with that said- what (generally) would I do? Put up flyers somewhere? Place an ad in a trade publication? Write a letter asking permission from the commanding officer?

I can't thank you enough for your patience in explaining this to me.

HUGH- I am taking your phone number. Hugh- if you wanted to, please answer the same question (since different states have different rules, I presume). Thanks very much Hugh...

Thanks Rick

T. Patrick Murray

PS

NEW FLASH WEBSITE of FOOTBALL FILM with PREVIEW TRAILER...

PS If you guys email me your real mail addresses (Rick and Hugh) I will send you a FREE copy of my 4 star FOOTBALL movie... TheLastGame@aol.com

Old September 17th, 2003, 06:30 AM   #13
Trustee

Mr. Murray:

Here in South Jersey we have a plethora of smaller departments run by open minded police chiefs. Case in point: My first independent film was shot in my home town of Absecon. The Absecon Chief, knowing me because I am in law enforcement, granted me carte blanche to use the entire police department property and any uniformed guy who wanted to stay over late (voluntarily, or course) from the midnight shift to play a small background role. As for using city cars (and city gasoline) at locations other than the parking lot, well, all you need do is spiff yourself up, look and sound professional, make an appointment to see him and just ask. It's that simple. My next indepedent short will take place in Longport, and the mayor gave me the key to the city to use the police department and city hall. I did not ask to use any vehicles so whatever car is parked out there will be set dressing only. Again, all I did was present myself professionally and ask. Of course, it didn't hurt that a current work colleague used to be a patrolman in that city. Mind you, these are small podunk towns but hey, police presence is police presence, right?
Old September 17th, 2003, 01:37 PM   #14
Major Player

Patrick,

I can only answer based on past experiences with our department. Your film would be an "outside" production, but it would not preclude the department from helping. Again, the decisions are made by the Media Relations Commander and many different things are taken into consideration before giving a go ahead to a project.

Another thing that may help or hinder you is how busy the department is at time of your request. Law enforcement is completely event driven so while it may be slow today, tomorrow can be absolute madness. Be prepared to work around their schedules depending on what is happening in the community.

Hugh's suggestion is a good first step. I would contact the affected Media Relations office and follow it up with a letter requesting a meeting. A professional presentation and approach will definitley help you in the long run. Many times a department will go out of their way to help, especially if the project will portray their department and law enforcement in general in a positive light. You would also be surprised as to how many people would want to be in front of the cameras!

Good luck with your project.

Stay safe, RB.
Old September 19th, 2003, 11:31 AM   #15
Regular Crew

Looking for two or three cops

I have an upcoming project for a short movie, based in Jersey City, NJ. If you are police officer or want to be one (on my movie) please contact me at a.aguilar8@verizon.net

Cheers!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood