DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   These Are the People in Your Neighborhood (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/these-people-your-neighborhood/)
-   -   Hello from Anchorage, Alaska! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/these-people-your-neighborhood/126624-hello-anchorage-alaska.html)

James Jason Lee July 24th, 2008 05:59 PM

Hello from Anchorage, Alaska!

Hi all! I've poked around DVinfo.net for a while and have picked up quite a bit of useful info, but this is my first time posting anything.

I'm a freelance videographer/stagehand squeaking out a living in "The Great Land". I have a couple of PD170's, a couple wireless mics, a decent tri-pod, and more heart than brains! I worked in broadcast television for about 8 years before heading out on my own. My personal editing system was Edius 2.5 until just about 4-5 weeks ago when I purchased Adobe CS3. I had used Final Cut Pro and Adobe Premiere/After Effects at various jobs in the past but got by with Edius with my personal work just fine. I want to do more "Arty" things and finally spent the money to get After Effects.

Well the reason in poking around online right now is to get info/links on creating an "online" presence and putting my demo tape out there so I can scare up some work! Any links/ info would be appreciated!
Back to Work! JLee

Shawn McCalip July 24th, 2008 06:53 PM

Welcome to the forums! It's always great to see someone else up here in the Last Frontier! I hope you enjoy working with Adobe's CS3 suite. It's not perfect, but it's my weapon of choice and I really like working with it.

So have you just moved up here or are you just breaking out of the whole local broadcaster scene? What did you do for TV for 8 years? Anyone in particular you're looking to send your tape to? I know the local Fox Affiliate is looking a commercial producer, in case that's what you're looking for, but if not, there are a few other folks on the boards here that can probably give better words of advice than I can. I'm in the process of starting up my own business as well, and I'm also chomping at the bit to get out of the quagmire of a meager hourly pittance!

James Jason Lee July 25th, 2008 12:53 AM

Hi Shawn

Nice to meet you, I've worked here in town at 5,2,13,11 and with the Alaska Channel (they broadcast into hotels). Bit of a job hopper, I was. Got most of my experience and useful knowledge at 2 where I started as a camera op and worked my way up Satellite Truck operator, I was there about 5 years. Now I have my fingers in every pot I can get them into. I also am in the IATSE Union (local 918) where I do audio and stagehand work at the Performing Arts Center.

I used After Affects and Premiere at 5 and 13, but have been using the tutorials at lynda.com to expand my limited knowledge. I bought CS3 partly to increase my marketability but also to help me make a short film/animation based on a poem I've written.

Thanks for the info regarding Fox- but I've learned that I do better with short term jobs and clients that I am directly responsible for pleasing.

Well feel free to E-mail me at alaskan_celt2000@yahoo.com if you'd like to chat more and exchange contact info.

Good luck-JLee