New to the Board at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood

These Are the People in Your Neighborhood
Introduce yourself! Who you are, what you're doing & using.

Old August 2nd, 2003, 02:04 PM   #1
New Boot

New to the Board

Hi my name is Chad (obviously) and im new to your community. I'm an ammatuer film maker and I'm just now really starting to get into directing. I was hoping that i could get some suggestions on a camera to buy. I'm pretty much looking at the canon gl2 right now and i was wondering if you guys had an suggestions on better cameras within a similar price range. I'll mostly be shooting widescreen action movies, but i'll also be shooting some "jackass" type stuff for/with some friends of mine. I'm a true amatuer in the sense that i really have much knowledge in the camera use and optics... i've mostly been on the directing side of things, but i'm trying to learn more about all aspects of film to better suit me to directing. Anyway thats a little of my background and i'd appreciate any input. thanks again

--chad

**moderators if I have this in the forum please move it to one that is more suited to it. thanks**
Chad Schweer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2003, 02:33 PM   #2
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Welcome Chad.

Browsing each of the camera/manufacturer-specific forums should help you get a feel for the GL2, PD150, VX2000, XL1s. Frankly, 3-chip cameras within specific price brackets have far more similarities than differences. The Canon GL2 Sony VX2000, for example, are generally considered close cousins, with the GL2 being a somewhat newer model. Ditto the XL1s and PD150, although the XL1s features interchangable lenses and other accessories.

Generally, your results within a camera budget bracket have less to do with the camera than they have to do with your skills. So I'd recommend selecting something you can easily afford (while leaving room for sound and lighting budgets) and just start shooting.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2003, 02:36 PM   #3
Outer Circle

Welcome, Chad!

The GL2 is a fine cam. In the same price range, there's the VX2000. For $1499 US there is the PV-DV953. In Japan, there is the new GS100 for about the same price or less. Then there's the PDX10. These are all good 3-chip cams for the money.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2003, 04:32 AM   #4
New Boot

I'll continue reading up, thanks for the info ;)
Chad Schweer is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood