DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   These Are the People in Your Neighborhood (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/these-people-your-neighborhood/)
-   -   Scottish Hello.... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/these-people-your-neighborhood/128829-scottish-hello.html)

James Lundy August 27th, 2008 10:26 AM

Scottish Hello....

Hi Guys,

I thought I'd just check if there were any other Scottish members on the board here, and more so if there were any Scottish film makers on the board.

I'm based in Armadale, West Lothian which is between Glasgow and Edinburgh. I run a small video production company, but I've pretty much gathered a rake of equipment over the years.

Most of my work is with weddings, but lately I've decided that I want to make movies and tv shows, even though I'm going to have a HUGE learning curve ahead of me. Life is too short to have any regrets, and if i don't do this with my life, I will end up with one major regret. :-)

My latest prized possession is my Glidecam V25, which I just love. Still getting a bit used to it at the moment, as it's a step up from the DV Sportster, but a lot of fun. My shins took a beating the first day I had it on, but they've toughened up and I'm walking a lot better with it.

Look forward to hearing from everyone.

Cheers,

James.

Colin McDonald August 27th, 2008 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James Lundy (Post 925641)
Hi Guys,

I thought I'd just check if there were any other Scottish members on the board here, and more so if there were any Scottish film makers on the board...

Look forward to hearing from everyone.

OK, I was stuck for something to do during a wet July holiday this year, so now I have almost 300 names of dvinfo Brits on a database (and there will be others I haven't found yet). Here's the Jocks (I hate that expression!) so far:

Paul Black Scotland
Mark Boggis Glasgow Scotland
Alastair Brown Glasgow Scotland
Scott Brown Aberdeen Scotland
Rikki Bruce Glasgow Scotland
Stuart Burns Dundee Scotland
Alex Calderhead Cumbernauld Scotland
Mark Campbell Dundee,Scotland
David Carter Glasgow Scotland
Scott Cassie Peterhead Scotland
James Collinson Glasgow Scotland
Nicole Dolder Edinburgh Scotland
George Duncan Burghead Scotland
Christopher Dunne Edinburgh Scotland
John Estcourt Ayrshire Scotland
Steve Garvie Fife Scotland
Jeff Goddard Perth Scotland
David Graham Glasgow Scotland
Andy Graham Lanark Scotland
Henry Gray Selkirk Scotland
Duncan Grieve Glasgow Scotland
Derek Grogan Larbert Scotland
Roddy Horsfall Glasgow Scotland
Kathleen Little Glasgow Scotland
James Lundy West Lothian Scotland
Peter Mackay Scotland
Scott MacKenzie Glasgow Scotland
Gary Masson Aberdeen Scotland
Colin McCaffery Aberdeenshire Scotland
Colin McDonald Glasgow Scotland
Allen McLaughlin Paisley Scotland
John McPaul Inverclyde Scotland
Stewart Menelaws Scotland
John Millar Scotland
David Miller Edinburgh Scotland
Ross Milligan Scotland
Tom Park Glasgow Scotland
Mat Pringle Stirling, Scotland
Eric A Robinson Edinburgh Scotland
Martin D. Smith Dundee Scotland
John Steele Glasgow Scotland
Jennie Stenhouse Glasgow Scotland
James Strange Glasgow
Martin Trotter Scotland
Lenny Warren Glasgow Scotland
Sandy Watt Glasgow Scotland
Ian Wright Edinburgh Scotland
Keith Yuill Scotland

Bet you wish you hadn't asked now :-)

PS - You're on it!

James Lundy August 27th, 2008 11:56 AM

Great stuff Colin - I haven't really been on here much in the past, but plan to contribute a lot more.

Also, John Steele has thrown in the towel for the moment and sold up all his gear. He got a couple of promotions at his work, and simply doesn't have enough time to pursue video in a serious matter. I'd wager a bet he'll be back sometime in the future, but as it sits at the moment he's took early retirement.

Kathleen Little December 20th, 2008 04:57 AM

hello

Hi folks, I didn't realise there were so many people from scotland. what do you all do? I run my own small company (video and photography), specializing in public sector/educational films and I make me own wee shorts too. got a sony ex1 and saving up to buy letus ultimate!

Andy Graham December 20th, 2008 05:56 AM

Hi Kathleen, welcome to the board, its always nice to see more Scots around here.I personally do freelance for other companies. My main area is camera/steadicam and editing but have done most jobs at some point so if ya ever find yourself needing a freelancer let me know, i can be contacted through this board.

Hi James im not sure if you still look at this board but if your interested in making low budget features we should meet up some time, i have a film company called camera Shy Productions ltd and making low budget features is exactly what we do. We shot a promo scene for our next film which is in the pipeline so if you like what you see and want to work with us on it youd be most welcome.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/show-your...ure-promo.html

The download link is on the last page about three posts from the bottom.

Cheers
Andy.

Colin McDonald December 20th, 2008 06:25 AM

Hi, Kathleen. I've added you to the dvinfo Brits list.

I think I might have seen some of your work - did you do "Vision of Hope?"

Douglas R. Bruce December 20th, 2008 03:38 PM

Hoots, Mon!
Was I excluded from your list because I left St.Andrews to settle in Japan?

I am following on the footsteps of this famous Scot:

Thomas Blake Glover The Broch Scottish Samurai

Nagasaki is just across the bay from me.

Hopefully I can be included in your ever growing list.

Regards,
Douglas

Colin McDonald December 20th, 2008 04:24 PM

Douglas, I would need to put you down as "Kumamoto City, Scotland" or Excel won't include you in the Scottish list. I didn't anticipate having to cater for ex-pats but there are various ways of doing it - like you could always move back to St. Andrews to make it easy for me :-)
Anyway, consider yourself added.

Kathleen Little December 21st, 2008 02:48 AM

Hi andy, thanks for the welcome. tried to look at your thread but without luck. is there some particular software I should have?

Hi Colin, yes, I did VOH last year. how do you know about it? was it off vimeo? what do you do? cheers k

Andy Graham December 21st, 2008 05:08 AM

Yeah All the links in the first page of the thread are dead, the only working links are on page 4 near the bottom. Theres no specific software needed, you should be able to just click the link and it takes you to a download page, the file its self is a 177mb quicktime file.

If you couldn't see the thread at all you can go to the "show your work" section of this board and go to page six, shadow land is about half way down the page.

failing all that you can try this http://www.box.net/shared/xys5g1masg

Cheers
Andy.

Colin McDonald December 21st, 2008 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kathleen Little (Post 981637)
Hi Colin, yes, I did VOH last year. how do you know about it? was it off vimeo? what do you do? cheers k

Vimeo yes, and I have a connection with Project Ability and some similar organisations.
As to what I do, I posted this when I joined dvinfo a year ago:
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/these-peo...tml#post800969

Ian Wright January 30th, 2009 03:35 PM

just discovered this Scotland thread.

I'm over in Edinburgh/Haddington and video shows from various fringe/festivals like Edinburgh, Brighton, Callander etc. The videos end up on my website, Festival Video and Audio Previews - Festival Previews Ltd.

I'm just learning videoing techniques on the job, as I go along. Hopefully 2009 will see better quality! I use an XH A1.

Cheers

Ian
Festival Video and Audio Previews - Festival Previews Ltd

John Estcourt January 31st, 2009 08:26 AM

Hi Ian, welcome. good to see another local also using the Canon xh-a1.
cheers john

Rikki Bruce January 31st, 2009 09:10 AM

Didnt realise so many Scottish folks were on here :D

Douglas R. Bruce January 31st, 2009 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colin McDonald (Post 981497)
Douglas, I would need to put you down as "Kumamoto City, Scotland" or Excel won't include you in the Scottish list. I didn't anticipate having to cater for ex-pats but there are various ways of doing it - like you could always move back to St. Andrews to make it easy for me :-)
Anyway, consider yourself added.

Colin, can't see my name yet!

Kumamoto, Scotland....... or my old abode, St.Andrews, Scotland will be fine.
Regards,
Douglas