DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   These Are the People in Your Neighborhood (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/these-people-your-neighborhood/)
-   -   Hi From Original Jersey (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/these-people-your-neighborhood/140704-hi-original-jersey.html)

Steve Renouf January 2nd, 2009 05:29 AM

Hi From Original Jersey

Hi everyone,

New to this board, having found it in my hunt for a solution to the "Blank Frames when Rendering Issue" in Vegas 8.1

Whilst browsing through the site, came across this thread and thought I'd do a search on "Jersey" but all it seems to find is "New Jersey", which is several thousand miles across the Atlantic from where I am here in "Original" Jersey, so I just thought I'd get us added - in case there's anyone else on here in my area - and say hello to the world.

Used to do some freelance/part-time work many years ago with a mate who has his own production company (I was usually the sound man/betacam recorder lugger!) and helped out here and there over the years but could never afford my own Pro setup. I did eventually manage to get a top of the range Sony Digital 8 cam, which served me well for many years for the various amateur/semi-pro projects untertaken over the years. Although, I always hankered after something much better, I could never really justify the expense (as it wasn't my full-time occupation).

However, having really caught the bug again recently, and my old Sony having given up the ghost, and having a few projects either on the go or in the pipe-line, and being slightly more flush cash-wise, I decided it was time to splash out on something decent and, as everything seems to be moving that way now, HD capability. Having researched various cams and formats, I came to the conclusion that it would be better to go the extra and buy into the HVR level (over AVCHD) as I couldn't really justify the expense of XDCAM etc.

Finally narrowed things down to the Z5, based on it's low-light capabilities and (relatively) cheap solid-state format and the excellent reviews it had been receiving. P2 is way out of my price bracket. I must say, I'm really impressed with it, although I haven't had a chance to really put it through it's paces yet (and it's a bit bigger than I envisaged from the photos). I weighed up the issues vis-a-vis the "rolling-shutter" issue and decided that it was such a small issue against all the advantages and was unlikely to an issue for me.

So, that's basically me in a nutshell. An ongoing project I'm working on is a Tai Chi training video/DVD (will have to re-shoot some of the footage to HD/DVCAM as it won't really cut in with the footage I have shot so far with the old cam) and I'm off to France next weekend to a Dive Show in Paris and the following weekend, in Jugons les Lacs, I'm shooting a Panto (yes, I know the French don't "do" Panto but it's a bunch of Brit Expats).

Well I think that's enough rambling for now. Just like to say Happy New Year to everyone from Jersey, Isles de la Manche.

Steve