DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   These Are the People in Your Neighborhood (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/these-people-your-neighborhood/)
-   -   Howdy, from North Texas (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/these-people-your-neighborhood/140966-howdy-north-texas.html)

Gene Trussell January 6th, 2009 08:01 AM

Howdy, from North Texas

I've been a lurker since I found this site a couple of months ago and thought I'd finally take the plunge and introduce myself.

I'm 37 years old and live just outside of Dallas. My day job is as a software developer (for about 13 years) and have had an "interest" in film making for quite some time. Only recently have I actually decided to do something about it. I'm still a green-horn and have been soaking up as much information as I can, this site being the most useful I have found so far. I'm flying solo, for the most part, with some help and support from friends and family; one friend does make-up (blood & gore, not the pretty stuff) for the occasional local, low-budget, indie film (MySpace.com - Evil John Mays).

As far as equipment goes, there's not much. I have a Sony HDR-SR11 camcorder, while not prosumer grade, it's decent, but then I don't have a large starting budget. I'm mostly using it to learn the editing process using Pinnacle Studio 12, and boy is there a lot to learn!

In addition to learning how to use the camera, lighting and editing, I'm also learning how to write a script for the first of three (maybe more) short mockumentaries. I figure it'll be easier to get started with laid back and relaxed shorts instead of trying to jump in with a full feature. I doubt they'll be sent to any indie contests; I'll just have to wait and see how they turn out.

Anyway, I'd like to meet others in the area and maybe help out on a no/low budget set and I'm always open to tips, tricks and helpful comments.

Thanks!

Jeff Mack January 6th, 2009 08:39 PM

welcome

Hi Gene,

Jeff Mack here from McKinney, TX. I know you are not a final cut pro user but we have a meeting the first Thursday each month in Dallas. You are welcome any time. Use the search feature and you will be learning a lot in no time. Glad to have you!

Jeff

Srinivas Swaminathan February 6th, 2009 03:00 PM

Jeff, where do you have the meeting and at what time? I am at Irving, very close to Dallas and would like to attend the meet sometime. Is it only for FCP users or general film/video discussion?

Aaron Page October 17th, 2009 08:20 AM

I'm in Dallas. What are these meetings you speak of?

Jeff Mack October 20th, 2009 06:16 AM

Final Cut Pro Users group

The meetings are for a final Cut Pro users group. We meet on the 2nd Thursday of each month and talk about various editing techniques. There are about 25 or so that show up. They are Held at AMS in Addison at 7pm. You are welcome to join us. We have a yahoo group you can check out if you go to fcpdallas : Dallas Final Cut Pro Users Group to check it out.

Jeff

Bruce Foreman October 26th, 2009 08:28 PM

Howdy...

Hi Gene,

I'm in San Angelo about 5 hours drive from Dallas area. Retired air force, worked in portrait, wedding, and commercial photography (operated my own studio) for awhile then wound up working as a civilian photographer for the air force at Goodfellow AFB in San Angelo.

Fully retired now and doing independent video mostly at the hobby level.

What you might consider doing is participating in the 2 kinds of video "challenges" hosted on this site. One has been described as being like "free film school" and everyone I've seen come up with entries on a somewhat regular basis has improved their skills dramatically. The latest one is here:

The DV Challenge (our semi-regular contest) - The Digital Video Information Network

This one just finished up, DVC17, and you can find links to the entries in the thread on DVC17 finalists. The "challenge" was to produce a trailer to a film we might produce. We all had fun doing it.