DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   These Are the People in Your Neighborhood (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/these-people-your-neighborhood/)
-   -   Hello from Ajax, Ontario (Just east of Toronto) =) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/these-people-your-neighborhood/1475-hello-ajax-ontario-just-east-toronto.html)

Gordon C April 2nd, 2002 12:44 AM

Hello from Ajax, Ontario (Just east of Toronto) =)

Hey there,

Just Dropped in from a link from the 'XL1 Watchdog' site.

I'm a proud new owner of a XL1S, just picked up one a week ago! So far, I LOVE it!

I'm in my last three weeks of a three year broadcasting and film course at Toronto's Centennial College. I hope to get going in my own business producing wedding, corporate and event videos.

I am also a musician with a modest home studio, had a single on the radio (CFNY) back in 1996, but nothing since then... =( So, I got into doing music for video and presentations, and that led me to the college program.

I'm married, drive a Honda Prelude and a Hyundai Santa Fe.. got two cats and a fixation for Japanese swords...

Well, that's about all I gotta say about that...

Nice to meet y'all!

-=- G.C.

Rob Lohman April 2nd, 2002 01:56 AM

Gordon,

Welcome aboard! Glad to hear you like your new camera! It
is a great piece of equipment! I just purchased mine 3 months
ago and having a blast. I'm almost 6 months on this forum now
and it is a great place to be. A lot of people trying to help
eachother out.

It sounds like you have an interesting background. As you
probably know, music is very important to further impact
the movie watching expierence!

Jim Pulfer April 2nd, 2002 07:46 AM

Hey Gordon,

Where did you buy your camera? I live in Ottawa and am still looking around for the best place to pickup an Xl-1s. Also, did you manage to get any kind of discount as a film student?

Thanks

Ken Tanaka April 2nd, 2002 01:58 PM

Welcome Gordon!

You've come to the right place for your new interest in DV and the XL1s. I'll bet that your home music studio will come in handy for scoring your footage...royalty free!

Great to have you aboard.

Gordon C April 2nd, 2002 05:46 PM

ATTN: jayRRpee

Hi,

Well, I got it for $5999 from Henry's Cameras. No special discount for a student, but I did buy it from a guy I used to work with. I got a whole whack of stuff, $10,000 worth... that was a little leverage too. And a month before I bought it, I sealed a deal for him on another XL1S sale...

If you don't mind the drive into Oshawa, I'll see what I can get for you?

-=- GC

Jim Pulfer April 3rd, 2002 09:30 AM

Hey Gordon,

Thanks for the offer - I'm still without equipment, and debating whether to pick one up locally (the Focus Center offers it at that price), shop around in Canada, or buy it mail order through the states (delivered to a US PO BOX). I'm tempted to get it through the US and pickup the XL1 Club membership - and act as though I'm at my US address. This Club seems to have great benefits, although it might cause delays in repair, or it might be just as quick as trying in Canada (it's only a 1hr drive to the BOX). Anyway, I won’t have the money until fall so I've got some time to think things through.

I'll send something off to you when I make a decision on how I'll move ahead.

This Forum is a great place to learn, I can't believe how friendly and helpful the members are!

Regards,

Phil French April 7th, 2002 12:26 PM

I got my XL1s from a company called Vistek for $5900(Canadian) in Calgary and I'm pretty sure they have their head office in Toronto. If you visit their web site(I believe it's www.vistek.ca) ignore the listed prices (I think they are full retail). I put tenders out at three places in Alberta and they came in the lowest. I bought my camcorder in February.

Jim Pulfer April 7th, 2002 04:12 PM

Phil, thanks for the tip - I'll check it out...I take a long time to make decisions, I'm going to educate myself on this over the summer and take the plunge in the fall. I'm thinking there might be some changes to the GL-1 coming along which might effect my decision. If you hear or see any great deals, please let me know.

Thanks Again