Inspiration. - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

These Are the People in Your Neighborhood
Introduce yourself! Who you are, what you're doing & using.

Old May 3rd, 2004, 10:45 AM   #31
Trustee

my story is incomplete... as there is no ending in sight... in fact tis only just the beginning.

in '97 during jan, feb, mar the star wars trilogy special edition was released and at the end of the return of the jedi i knew what i wanted to do for the rest of my life. that was high school... but now i'm kinda grown up i realize a dream's a dream (don't ya luv it when you're a teen and you have that carefree dream?). i know this story is SOOOooooo cliche but it is true. since then in my sr yr i made a silly short w/friends for film class. and that's about it. it's been 5 years since i graduated hs and working on my computer degree (BS), currently work as purchasing manager/IT in a windows mfr. i haven't touched another project until this past april for a "48 hour film" project. i merely an assisstant on that. i just wanted to see how it was done w/other people. i also bought xl1s few months ago. i got 3 more years to go for my CS BS but i don't think i can wait for movie-making to pass me by. hopefully by summer i should have some more projects made.

a lotta people wanna be lucas cause he's the MOST success indie guy ever. think about it... even though 20th century forked over a new hope, empire and jedi are made independently from 20th century. just as today's episode i through iii are still 'independent movies'. it's incredible that these indies are top 20!!! plus the money he makes from merchandising lucasfilm ltd, THX, skywalker sound, ILM, lucasarts. so it's quite inspiring but daunting at the same time. you have to remember that lucas created all of those things because they were virtually nonexistent at that time. if you tried that today you wouldn't last cause everyone has their own ILM, sound studio, etc. it's all about timing!

i know it sounds messy but i'm on lunchbreak! anywho that's where i'm @ right now.
Old August 20th, 2004, 11:41 AM   #32
Regular Crew

My intial spurring into film started when I was an RA in school. Our campus was very poorly lit, and the route from the parking lot was through a section of woods, with no lights and no call boxes. We had just had a rash of car thefts something like 25 cars stolen. And i could just imagine it growing into something more. SO i got some of my residents and went and made a film about this girl parking her car, then walking up this road. This guy had been following her, he knocks her out and drags her into the woods. Haha VERY DARK! But i wanted to screa people, i felt like a lot of people were being really naive. I never did anything with it..... My only regret. But it was the first thing i ever made and it screamed THIS IS THE FIRST THING I EVER MADE so i wasn't entirely comfortable with releasing it..... Live and learn.
Old November 20th, 2004, 02:01 AM   #33
New Boot

I was blown away by every single aspect of a movie I saw in 1985 at the age of 9 - Amadeus.

Only a few things since then have come close to matching the effect that had on me:

Angels in America
American Beauty
Fargo
Glory
Amelie
Full Metal Jacket
David Burns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2004, 11:15 PM   #34
New Boot

My parents were so into films in the late seventies (I was born in 1971)... In my mind their escape from my presence towards a movie theatre HAD to be something really important to be done.
What could be better than having a lovely child's company?

-I wanna go with you!!!!
-This film is too scary for you.
-I watch scary stuff on TV.
-Alright, but not at the theatre, nope... They won't let you in...
-I don't wanna be alone...
-Your Nanny is coming...
-She watches all those stupid Quiz Shows...
-We'll ask her to let you choose the TV channel...
-She won't let me watch that giant Tarantula film...
-Well, tell her then...
-...nor that killer Godzilla movie...
-She'll make you some popcorn...
-...and she likes Fred Astaire.
-Oh, there she comes!
-Once, she made me watch a dancing Robin Hood thing...
-Junior, behave...
-It was scary... He was always smiling... like this...
-Why don't you get yourself a soda in the fridge?
-Seriously, he was dancing on a tree, and then a bear appeared...
-Do you want some Ice Cream, honey?
-It was a bear and a deer, and they were smiling too...

I think you can picture my childhood drama... Anyway, in Brazil we used to have a lot of european screenings (and we still do), so I remember not understanding Fellini from a very young age...
And Goddard and Fassbinder...
Polanski (european and american phases)...
And boobs. Lotsaboobs in european and brazilian films.
Lotsacrap too...
But no doubt that american cinema made a huge impact in every brazilian kid aspiring to be a stubborn filmmaker...
I remember watching Elia Kazan's (Steinbeck's) Viva Zapata! on TV after Spielberg's Jaws (same night on TV)... pretty weird memory...
And I still remember all those Donald Duck cartoons in the theatres...
But I'm not quite sure what specific film gave me the itches...
Diogo Galhanone Jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2004, 07:09 AM   #35
Major Player

My Father...my Grandfather

http://www.rbravo.com/new_page_1.htm

RB
Old January 21st, 2005, 01:56 AM   #36
Regular Crew

My first inspiration was Jim Carrey. I was always into comedy, but Jim Carrey made me want to pursue it as a carreer.

When we're talking about movies specifically, the most inspirational thing so far was reading 'From Reel to Deal' by Dov S-S Simens
Brad Mills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2005, 05:59 PM   #37
Regular Crew

Since I was a little kid, I'd been telling stories. You know, like wild stories of why the toliet seat was left up, or why my room was messy. In elementary school, I began writing short stories. I think it was in grade two that my dad bought our family a Hi8 video camera. I remembered I was attatched to that camera and filmed everything. I figured that I could tell stories even better by showing it, so I made my very first movie at the tender age of 8. Steven Spielberg's movies have been inspirational to me, especially Jurrasic Park. I'd have to say though, the most inspirational thing for me, where my movies come from, are the things in my life. A lot of my movies have a bit which is based on something that has happened in my life. Now at the age of 17, I've recieved 2 award nominations in BC (where I am from), 2 award nominations in Alberta, Calgary, and have won Best Film and Best of the Festival at a Film fest also in Calgary. Making movies is my life. It's never been for me nor my crew, about the awards. It's always been about having fun and getting the story told.
Glen Chua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2005, 12:39 PM   #38
New Boot

I started making films in high school for no real reason and discovered directors later on that I love. Some of my favorites (most inspiring)
-Walter Hill
-Jon Carpenter
-Robert Rodriguez
-Quinton Terrantino
-Sergio Leone
-Sergio Corbuci
-Enzo Castellarie
-Coen Brothers
-Dario Argento
I think that the music by Ennio Morricone has inspired me more than most movies.
John A. Davies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2005, 03:39 PM   #39
Regular Crew

Well, somehow i went from being a painting major to doing wildlife & science docs...
I had a photo teacher that encouraged me to take a film class after looking at a series of my prints. She thought the prints together told a story. So i hopped on over to the film dept., picked up a Bolex, and it's been downhill ever since :) I was also a biology student due to my love of the enviornment. So I melded the two, and off to grad school I went, getting a master's degree in what else but "Science & Natural History Filmmaking."
My favorite films:
animation--
Nausicaa, Watership Down, The Secret of NIMH, The Last Unicorn, The Nightmare Before Christmas...
live action--
Legend (directors cut), Crouching Tiger..., Elizabeth, Fight Club, From Hell, Dances With Wolves, Legends of the Fall, The 13th Warrior, Dracula...
basically anything "historical," or having to do with legends or fantasy are my favorites. I usually look for good cinematography, though.
Nature films are another beastie. Most of the stuff on TV (in the US) is junk, I think. That's why the MFA program got started, to improve the way in which the media communicates the sciences. We'll see if we change the world (or at least US broadcasters).... For now, I'm addicted to the Science Channel.
Tracy Graziano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2005, 12:24 AM   #40
Tourist

Well as far back as I can remember, after seeing Disney's The Little Mermaid, I said "I want to be an animator!". I then would draw a Disney-esq character and record each frame with the video camera. Many years later in college (Seneca), I was introduced to digital art and video. I made some short animated clips in 3DS Max and Premiere. What I made back then is so cheesy but my love for video stuck. Presently I'm back in school and recently did a music video, which I'm quite pleased with. The things that inspire me are movies like Crouching Tiger, Hero and some american & japanese music videos. In it's way music is another... with some songs images pop into my head and then that's what gets me started on making a video for it.
Andresia Garnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2005, 01:20 AM   #41
New Boot

BARAKA. Beautiful, beautiful film.

People gifted with "the eye" and imagination for creating images, colour and beauty have a way, through the movies they create, of making the drabiness of ordinary life fade into insignificance.

I'm inspired by creative people and movies, and the work I do, in a way, would enable me to showcase more works from talented souls.

--maxcap
Old July 25th, 2005, 09:23 AM   #42
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxine Capilli
BARAKA.
What an interesting thing to say. It's not a film "everyone" has seen, unfortunately. It reminded me of 'Koyaanisqatsi' only more lush and beautiful. Anyway it has no conventional plot as such but it does tell its own story, absolutely- and it's a story that would be much harder to describe in words.
Bill Porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2005, 01:24 AM   #43
Major Player

I watched a ton of movies as a kid, but i started out wanting to be a drummer. i was an MTV addict as a teenager and would watch religously (anyone remeber 120minutes, Yo MTV Raps? am I the only one?). after a while, a lot of the more visually intensive videos inspired me to be strictly a music video director (I basically wanted to make 5 min experimental films) so i took an intro film class, discovered the art of the story and fell in love with a million films and filmmakers. i focused first on cinematography (still my first love) but now ive moved more into directing.

some inspirational films
memento
Fight club
PI
Get carter (yeah the remake, dont laugh)
Being john malkovich
Belly
minority report

Im starting to reach out and get into the old guard of filmmakers, but i think there are enough Kubrick and Kurosawa fans to go around. i do love spielberg and a few others

Inspirational people
Floria Sigismondi
Hype Williams
Paul Hunter
Spike Lee
Spike Jonze
Samuel Bayer
David LaChapelle
David Fincher

Again, i have a soft spot for photographers and artists more so than directors, but I'm working on that.
Jay Kavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2005, 08:31 AM   #44
Regular Crew

19 and proud of it...but I would have to say Lord of the Rings would have to be the movie(s) that really kicked me into filmmaking. Particularly Fellowship of the Ring - I came back from the theater thinking "Why can't people make more movies like that?" I have no dreams of blockbusters - just hard work that'll pay off with some great pieces of art and/or entertainment.
Steve Sirinides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2005, 07:42 AM   #45
Regular Crew

I am along the same lines as Mickey Stroud. My inspiration mostly comes from my own imagination and the expressions from my audience. Being able to wow someone, to evoke some kind of emotion in them, have them see something in a different light. Just the joy you can bring another human being is what does it for me.

I have a HUGE imagination, sometimes a little too much lol. But I am inspired by people, life, nature and beyond.
Sean Hansen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood