DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   These Are the People in Your Neighborhood (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/these-people-your-neighborhood/)
-   -   Inspiration. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/these-people-your-neighborhood/16013-inspiration.html)

Bryan Mitchell October 20th, 2003 12:59 PM

Inspiration.

I was just wondering what movie, actor, director, or anything else, inspired everyone here at dvinfo, to the point at which they wanted to make movies in some form or another.

Quentin Tarantino is my favorite director now. I saw his first movie, only two years ago, when I was 16. The biggest inpiration, for me, was when I first saw Reservoir Dogs. The first time I watched this, not only did it jump into my top ten list, but it changed the way I looked at movies.

Reservoir Dogs interested me in making movies. It was not just the movie, but the story behind it with the director that intrigued me. It was the idea of the little movie succeeding that inspired me.

Reservoir Dogs really brought me into the idea of making movies. I have always loved movies, but now I love the idea of making them, and I enjoy watching them in a new way.

If there's anything that inspired you to try to get into the bussiness, or take up film/video as a hobby, please tell us here.

-Thanks

Mike Rehmus October 20th, 2003 06:41 PM

Going on vacation with a good still camera and coming back to realize that the stills did not capture the flavor of the trip.

I then joined a few film clubs, then spent money, then joined prosumer clubs, then spent money, then did a training video, then spent money, then took some college courses, then spent some money, then got asked to do some commercial work, then spent a lot more money.

So here I am, spending more money and having more fun that anything I've ever done before.

What an ego trip!

Chris Hurd October 20th, 2003 09:17 PM

I think what finally did it for me, when I realized I wanted to major in this stuff in college, was a point back in high school when I stayed up late watching "Night Flight" on the USA channel, which was fairly new back then. Several times they ran a short black-and-white film, about 15 minutes long called "Webb Wilder, Private Eye." I thought to myself, I could do something like that. It was funny and simple and made me realize, if that little thing can get on TV then the future's wide open. When I finally made it to UT Austin through a circuitous route of four other colleges and universities, I wound up sitting in a screenwriting class instructed by Steve Mims. Mims was the one who had done "Webb Wilder, Private Eye," which I had never forgotten about during the long journey to get to film school. Talk about coming around full circle, I didn't plan it that way but that's how it happened. Been a crazy ride ever since, and definitely a non-stop full-time learning experience, which keeps everything fresh.

Adrian Douglas October 20th, 2003 09:21 PM

Pulling into a 6 foot closeout barrel and coming out with a dislocated shoulder. Surgery and 3 months of physio saw me on the beach shooting my friends surfing with a friends L1. I had been into photography for a while but for surfing video was soooo much fun.

Dylan Couper October 21st, 2003 07:17 PM

Possibly Night Of The Living Dead.
If not that, then definitely Slumber Party Massacre.

Bob Zimmerman October 25th, 2003 10:11 PM

I lose my inspiration alot. Then I read what people post on this board and it brings it back. Keep posting!!

Rik Sanchez October 26th, 2003 05:11 AM

My dad gave me a still camera and a 8mm film camera when I was 13, I really got into the still photography but I never used the film camera. He knew I would eventually get in film/video(I still haven't shot any film, just shooting video).

I moved to Japan and started helping a friend video tape fashion shows and I then gave up stills to shoot only video. I finally came around to doing what my dad knew I would do. I have lots of photos of him, but the only video I have of him is towards the end of his life. At least I was able to make a record of the last year he was alive, I also filmed his funeral and the making of his deathmask, video that will one day be shown to his grandchildren. It's been the hardest and most important video I've ever shot. That's why I have ChorizoSmells under my name, that was a name he made up to poke fun of the title of one of his books. It's also my video making moniker.

I also saw Pulp Fiction around the time I first shot video of my dad, so Quentin has a special place for me also.

K. Forman October 26th, 2003 07:54 AM

I took Graphics and Design, wanting to learn more about web design. Having to assist the "instructor" with the html exercises, I decided I wasn't going to learn anything new. But one of the segments was video editing, which boiled down to little more than- "This is Premiere. This is how you capture video. Now make a 60 second project..." Another dissapointment, but it sort of stuck.

Shortly afterwards, my friend taped my wedding- which was a 3 day medievel camp out and feast. When I got the tape, I thought it was very cool... and verrrrry long. So, I sat down and edited it down to a more watchable 20 minutes. And that is when I got hooked! I got in with a website that was into surfing and music, and would tape events. I talked them into letting me edit, and I was in heaven! But, that dried up after a year, and I was forced to have to start my own video business, just so I could edit.

Then... Enter Kevin Smith! From convenience store clerk to writer, film maker, actor... He did it. I figure, if he could do it, why not me? I see movies on the shelves that looked like some guy grabbed a camcorder, some friends, and decided to make a movie. I'm a guy! I have a nice camera! I used to have friends, but they all moved off... But I can still make a movie! Thank you K.S., for being my inspiration!

Remember... You did ask :)

Darrell Hinton October 26th, 2003 10:23 AM

I've always wanted to work in film from a very young age. When I was about 6 I wanted to be an actor just because those were the main people you associate with movies and tv shows when you are young. As I got a little older I got more interested in working behind the camera than in front of it. Now, I could be happy for the rest of my life working in any part of film: boom operator, cinematographer, editor, DP, producer, actor, director, basically anything. So as far as what/who inspired me to want to work in film, I couldn't say except for maybe a long, deep love for film. But I would definately have to say that Quentin Tarantino, Robert Rodriguez, and Kevin Smith have instilled much confidence in me that it can be done. Whenever I start to think about how tough of a business to get into film is, I always think about how QT, RR, and KS started out in the same boat I am in, with no more of an advantage than I have. So I guess I would have to say that they inspire me to keep going and not give up.

Marco Leavitt October 26th, 2003 11:40 AM

The first time I was even aware that there were filmmakers existing outside of the studio system was when I was about 12 or so and Nashville came on really late one night. I had never seen anything like it. There was no central story, and the characters walked around talking and talking. At first I thought it was a documentary because nobody seemed to be acting. I learned more about Robert Altman and dreamed about making movies some day, but I never really pursued it because it seemed so impossible. It wasn't until more than 10 years later in the '90s when the whole indie revolution happened that it seemed to be possible for regular people to get into it. During my college years I lived in Salt Lake City and went to Sundance every year. I actually saw Mariachi at Sundance, and was intrigued by this Robert Rodriguez guy who introduced his movie. At the time nobody realized what a pivotal film it would be, but everyone was talking about the way it got made. I had started going to Sundance just out of a love of film, and was clueless to the fact that a huge movement was springing up and getting bigger and bigger every year. Imagine, this was a time when people like Kevin Smith and Steve Buscemi would just sort of be walking around, and you had no idea who they were. I kind of wish that I had been a little more savvy about it, because who knows what kind of connections I could have made. During the early '90s Sundance still seemed a little rough around the edges, and everybody was nice to each other because you just didn't know if you were sitting next to an ordinary loser or an executive from Miramax. I also attended a panel discussion with Pete Jackson (Lord of the Rings director), who had a horror movie there that year, Dead Alive, and the cinematographer from Reservoir Dogs. Another film I saw there was Public Access, which was made by the guy who would go on to do the Usual Suspects and X-Men. I guess where I'm going with this is you never know what kind of opportunities are happening all around you. One last note, some time during this period I remember looking at a display about digital editing at Sundance and thinking, this is never going to amount to much. As I said, I was pretty clueless.

Stacy Principle October 26th, 2003 04:46 PM

For me i believe the first time i wanted to be a filmmaker was the first time i saw shes gotta have it by spike lee.

A many of indie filmmakers credit spike for them visually seeing that it was possible to make a film and get backing so it could be shown and have distrubution.

Being from chicago, there was a little indie done for 2 million called LoveJones. This proved that stories that i write could be made.

From that i connected with fellow indies from Columbia downtown. And i started long form story telling.

Marco Leavitt October 26th, 2003 06:28 PM

Love Jones is a great movie. It deserves a lot of credit for portraying black characters who aren't constantly talking about "the hood." We need more movies like that. Spike Lee is a personal hero too. Some people give him a bad rap because of his politics, but I admire the fact that he wants to communicate a message with his films. People who say he is preachy should spend more time making movies of their own.

Ryan Gohlinghorst October 27th, 2003 10:07 AM

When I was 5 years old, I saw Halloween for the first time. It scared the shit out of me. When I watched it again at the age of 10, I knew that that's what I wanted to do. Thank you, John Carpenter!

Alain Aguilar November 16th, 2003 01:16 PM

I created a Macromedia Flash presentation for my classmates in a programming class. I developed a narrative plot that included my professors and classmates. They were laughing hysterically while watching it. I obtained the best grade and begun daydreaming since then. I always loved films, since I saw my first one which was "Return of the Jedi" when I was 5.

Keith Loh November 16th, 2003 03:43 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Alain Aguilar : . I always loved films, since I saw my first one which was "Return of the Jedi" when I was 5. -->>>

You're making me feel very old. And I just turned 33.

Alain Aguilar November 16th, 2003 04:14 PM

I'm actually 26, I might have been wrong on my age, but I'm sure I was 5 or 6. Since then I've seen this movie like 10 times!!
Not a record, a friend has at least seen the whole trilogy like 50 times..

Greetings!

Christopher Hughes November 16th, 2003 04:20 PM

My Favourites and ones that have inspired me or continue to inspire are:

Robert Rodriguez - Director and just a about a little of everythingelse.

Luc Besson - Director and/or Producer of some brilliant films.

Peter Jackson & Andrew Lesnie - Director & Dir. of Photography - Lord of the Rings...need I say any more.

Alejandro Gonzalez Innaritu - Director & Producer - Amorres Perros

I guess these are ones that spring to mind first, but I get inspired by lots of people and everytime I go to the cinema, even if its a crap film or one that everyone hates except the pompus film critics who appear to love it, I still get something out of it, even if its not to make the same mistakes.

I guess it all started as a child and being given a camera to playwith in the cot (crib) as a 7 month baby by my photographer father. Then helping carry the tripod or bag as a small child are weddings, Really boring, perhaps thats why I dont want to do weddings, but if fuelled and started my passion.

Keith Loh November 16th, 2003 07:23 PM

//Peter Jackson & Andrew Lesnie - Director & Dir. of Photography - Lord of the Rings...need I say any more.//

To me the inspirational story from Peter Jackson's career is that he made "Braindead" over several years on weekends.

Dan Uneken December 4th, 2003 11:47 AM

Keith: I sent you an e-mail re my webpage...

As for film crazy: I was a young "actor" at the age of 11 in two children TV films in Holland, with some of the most important Dutch actors of the time (around 1966). I absolutely LOVED all that stuff with the camera, sound boom and the slate: "ACTION"!
I later became a stills photographer, but only went into moving images 4 years ago, after moving to Spain. But I never forgot how I loved the "set". I still do, actually, whether it's working as the camaraman, or even director, or as a PA or driver, I don't care, it makes me tick.

Sam Peckinpah always inspired me, seeing how crazy he was about his film, trying to look as much as possible like the lead actor. "The Wild Bunch"!

John Locke December 4th, 2003 05:58 PM

Main "current" inspiration:

Anything by...

Ridley Scott
The Coen Brothers
Cameron Crowe
Tim Bevan
David Lynch
Pedro Almodóvar
Robert Redford

And some by...

Ivan Reitman
Rob Reiner
Nora Ephron

But growing up, practically every decent movie in some way or another. I'm convinced that one of the reasons I moved to Asia was because of a movie I saw as a kid.

Frank Kotora December 24th, 2003 07:54 PM

It's been a gradual thing for me. Not any one actor, movie, director, etc. instantly made me want to be a filmmaker. My love for film started with Spielberg and Jurassic Park...and as I saw more and more films and amazing directors continuously blew my mind, I eventually came to the decision to pursue a career as a director. Over time, the directors that have come to be my inspiration and motivation are as follows:

Steven Spielberg
M. Night Shyamalan
Quentin Tarantino
Guy Ritchie
Akira Kurosawa
Coen Brothers
Tim Burton

Arthur John December 27th, 2003 05:34 PM

My story is a bit different. It wasn't a movie or a particular actor or even a book that inspired me.
You see, I'm currently a full time college student at 33 and working towards a Doctor of Pharmacy degree which I should get in 2008.
In the meantime though, as a project that started out for extra-credit and ended up turning into a full blown college club, I started investigating the paranormal with a digital camera and a Sony Nightshot TRV-350 camcorder.
I operated the camcorder while others took pictures and recorded audio. The amazing thing is that I have video of these small orbs zipping around that no-one could see with their own eyes. They only could be viewed through the infrared video.
We ended up investigating several locations and got some amazing photo's and video, and even some ghostly voices on audio.
I had an absolute blast videotaping all that stuff, and started to learn so much more when I started to edit the footage.
I then had a dream that I thought would make an awesome Sundance short, and eventually started working on several script ideas after a brainstorming session.
The end result is that 2004 will be one of the busiest years of my life with attending school (I enrolled in a video class as well), running a college club that investigates ghost activity, plus I have a Documentary film set for 1st quarter and a Feature script I'm hoping I can shoot sometime in Summer/Fall.
All this from an extra credit project! :)

Bryan Mitchell December 28th, 2003 03:55 AM

Awesome story. I often wished I had a camera back when I lived in haunted areas.

To add to my list, the movie Adaptation peaked my interest in screenwriting and movie making in general. One of my favorite movies. I just picked up "Story", as recommended here, and I've been reading it over christmas break.

Mickey Stroud December 28th, 2003 09:57 AM

I'm a little older than most of you so my inspirations come as flash backs.

First recollection: seeing a young 17-year old Cybil Shepherd stuffing her bra with kleenex. I was in college but had a summer job working as the in-plant messenger boy for the world's largest still photo studio. I dropped off some mail by the modeling department and there she was sitting in the dressing room – stuffing. I became nterested in photography from that day forward which led to a career in advertising.

Many years later, while running the newspaper advertising department for an arts and crafts chain, the owner of the company walked by my office and threw a bunch of "Spuds McKennzie" merchandise on the floor and said, " I just bought a butt load of this stuff, go make me a TV commercial." A few weeks later he said "I've been making commercials for years and no one ever mentioned them. You make me one commercial and everyone notices and comments on it...let's do some more." The hook was set.

Some years later I found myself in charge of a national TV show on the Lifetime network. It runs for 26 weeks with great ratings until a political battle between the two sponsoring companies takes the show down.

Years pass and along comes Apple's Final Cut Pro and MiniDV cameras....wow, I could do all this myself without million dollar editing suites....and a rebirth of my inspiration...

So, who inspired me the most? Cybil Shepherd? The arts and crafts owner?
No, I think it was the sounds of an appreciative audience. I've never gotten over the desire to see someone's eyes light up and say, "Man, did you do that?"

Bryan Mitchell January 7th, 2004 08:01 PM

Alain Aguilar, I too started animating with flash before I ever had a camera. It's actually what I do. (What I do for money right now, anyways) I'm a webdesigner, but I specialize in flash design. Right now, the current project is http://www.ethelm.com/catalogue/. I'd show everyone some actual animations if they were any good, but all of them were made when I was in 9th grade, so neigh. I stopped animating, and moved towards the web design aspect of flash, and recently learned alot of actionscript (as seen in the link). The great thing about the place I work (Ethel M Chocolate Factory), is that If I dont know how to do something, I can get payed learning how to do it all day on the web. I stop bye here when I'm at work too sometimes. Though, I have to watch out for that boss coming around the corner, checking out my monitor :-).

Back to the topic. Wow this book "Story" has so much information in it, I had never even thought about. (I guess that's the point of reading it :). ) Thanks again for the reccomendations on that.

John Locke, I've thought about moving to asia or china or mabye japan, and that's all been because of movies I'm sure. Another reason I want to make movies :) They have such great power of influence.

Gino Terribilini February 29th, 2004 12:00 AM

I was inspired my senior year of high school (way back in January `03). I always liked making movies with my friends, but never really got into it. Then I took a video production class and totally fell in love with DV. Learned Premiere 6.0 in a day and made a lot of little snippits. At one point my teacher approached me and asked, "Hey, Gino, have you ever thought about going into the industry?" I replied no and he said, "Well, i really think you should." That was it. He's the only teacher i have really kept in close touch with. I visit him every once in a while. We go see films together and have LAN parties. Kinda weird, but he is definately the kindling in this ever-growing fire of mine.
He wrote the most amazing teacher recommendation for me for my application to NYU basically telling them that they would be losing a total genius if they didn't accept me and it would hurt them more than it would me. How is one supposed to respond to such an amazing compliment? Anyway, i owe it all to him and if i ever make it big, he'll be the first i thank.

Adam C Bowman April 2nd, 2004 10:24 PM

Missing some key people

I was thumbing through this thread, (well scrolling really) and I felt that alot of truly talented filmmakers have been left out.

on the narrative film base
Kubrik
Hitchcock
Mann
Fincher
Soderburg
Kurusawa
(the list goes on)

on documentary
Pennebaker
Burns
Epstein/Friedman
(again names are escaping me, it's been a long day)

Where are these names on anyones inspiration list? Why is it that either media friendly independent filmmakers, or big budget popculture directors are our source of inspiration? Not to say that some listed aren't talented individuals, but for a thread about those who inspire us to make films, it seems like it lends itself to a deeper discussion of talent than the two hour music videos of Guy Richie. It almost feels like we all need to do some research and find who those truly innovative filmmakers are. The ones that inspired the likes of Tarantino, Rodriguez, and Richie.

I know I dont know everything about films. But I have to believe that we arent only a bi product of music videos, commercials, and snappy t-shirts. That we as creative individuals can look deeper into the medium and find greatness.

That said, i'm sure some are gonna be gunnin for me tomarrow, but I'll stand by what I said. Thankfully film is a subjective medium, and I can still be right.

ADAM

Ben Gurvich April 2nd, 2004 11:12 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Frank Kotora : My love for film started with Spielberg and Jurassic Park...and as I saw more and more films and amazing directors continuously blew my mind>

I get a kick out of watchin the making of Jurassic part on the special edition DVD where they show u a quick glimps of the render farm and i wonder, hmm i bet they were like 100Mhz machines.

I also love the almost laughable (know) go motion animation technique which was the alternative to the 3d.

Josh Brusin April 2nd, 2004 11:30 PM

What was special for me was living with my aunt and uncle after college, talking about movies and writing a screenplay and my uncle calling and making me talk to his friend Bill who told me to "get a hi-8 camera and start shooting. It doesn't matter what kind of camera you use..." It turned out to be William Friedkin. I wish I was more prepared for that conversation.
That same uncle spotted me 2K for an XL1 which I repaid within a year btw. Everyone needs a benefactor. Unfortunately he passed away about 2 years ago and I'm still in final edit on that feature project. (lost another actor from that film recently – goes to show while I managed to avoid anxious producers threatening me to finish a project that pesky thing death can't be avoided).

Sydney Lumet's Making Movies also is a good read as it talks about things like story, actors, etc. and not percentages, lighting kits, and microphones...

Tootsie, Waiting for Guffman and Escape from New York.
not to mention Bad Taste, 16 Candles, Star Wars, Blood Simple and Raising Arizona

Roger Corman / Robert Rodriguez. Self sufficience is inspiring.
Uncle George despite every effort to destroy my childhood with his prequels... for his ability to re-purpose stories in the most successful way.

and finally Woody Allen for Manhattan and Scorsese's Raging Bull... many days were spent watching those 2 on laserdisc in the college library while I was supposed to be in the sculpture studio. (sculpture degrizzy in the Hizzzy)

James Sudik April 2nd, 2004 11:42 PM

Like others I have visited this thread, and enjoyed reading through it. I cannot claim aspirations to be a "movie maker" but I have had dreams of such ventures, at least to some extent. I enjoy the idea of capturing emotion on moving media. I do not know names of great film artists (well, Kubrik and a few others are givens:), and I don't understand the great technical skill that those people employ. But I do "get it" in a bigger sense. As I see it the intent of all this technical knowledge/jargon/skill is to capture or convey that emotion, whatever it is. Be it love or hate, happiness or sorrow, defeat or victory, it is all about conveying that feeling to the audience via image and sound. When that works, and it can be a wedding video, a motion picture, or a commercial, I really dig it. Trying to convey emotion on that level (where people dig it) is what I want to do. Any equipment recomendations?

Yi Fong Yu May 3rd, 2004 10:45 AM

my story is incomplete... as there is no ending in sight... in fact tis only just the beginning.

in '97 during jan, feb, mar the star wars trilogy special edition was released and at the end of the return of the jedi i knew what i wanted to do for the rest of my life. that was high school... but now i'm kinda grown up i realize a dream's a dream (don't ya luv it when you're a teen and you have that carefree dream?). i know this story is SOOOooooo cliche but it is true. since then in my sr yr i made a silly short w/friends for film class. and that's about it. it's been 5 years since i graduated hs and working on my computer degree (BS), currently work as purchasing manager/IT in a windows mfr. i haven't touched another project until this past april for a "48 hour film" project. i merely an assisstant on that. i just wanted to see how it was done w/other people. i also bought xl1s few months ago. i got 3 more years to go for my CS BS but i don't think i can wait for movie-making to pass me by. hopefully by summer i should have some more projects made.

a lotta people wanna be lucas cause he's the MOST success indie guy ever. think about it... even though 20th century forked over a new hope, empire and jedi are made independently from 20th century. just as today's episode i through iii are still 'independent movies'. it's incredible that these indies are top 20!!! plus the money he makes from merchandising lucasfilm ltd, THX, skywalker sound, ILM, lucasarts. so it's quite inspiring but daunting at the same time. you have to remember that lucas created all of those things because they were virtually nonexistent at that time. if you tried that today you wouldn't last cause everyone has their own ILM, sound studio, etc. it's all about timing!

i know it sounds messy but i'm on lunchbreak! anywho that's where i'm @ right now.

Fred Finn August 20th, 2004 11:41 AM

My intial spurring into film started when I was an RA in school. Our campus was very poorly lit, and the route from the parking lot was through a section of woods, with no lights and no call boxes. We had just had a rash of car thefts something like 25 cars stolen. And i could just imagine it growing into something more. SO i got some of my residents and went and made a film about this girl parking her car, then walking up this road. This guy had been following her, he knocks her out and drags her into the woods. Haha VERY DARK! But i wanted to screa people, i felt like a lot of people were being really naive. I never did anything with it..... My only regret. But it was the first thing i ever made and it screamed THIS IS THE FIRST THING I EVER MADE so i wasn't entirely comfortable with releasing it..... Live and learn.

David Burns November 20th, 2004 02:01 AM

I was blown away by every single aspect of a movie I saw in 1985 at the age of 9 - Amadeus.

Only a few things since then have come close to matching the effect that had on me:

Angels in America
American Beauty
Fargo
Glory
Amelie
Full Metal Jacket

Diogo Galhanone Jr November 22nd, 2004 11:15 PM

My parents were so into films in the late seventies (I was born in 1971)... In my mind their escape from my presence towards a movie theatre HAD to be something really important to be done.
What could be better than having a lovely child's company?

-I wanna go with you!!!!
-This film is too scary for you.
-I watch scary stuff on TV.
-Alright, but not at the theatre, nope... They won't let you in...
-I don't wanna be alone...
-Your Nanny is coming...
-She watches all those stupid Quiz Shows...
-We'll ask her to let you choose the TV channel...
-She won't let me watch that giant Tarantula film...
-Well, tell her then...
-...nor that killer Godzilla movie...
-She'll make you some popcorn...
-...and she likes Fred Astaire.
-Oh, there she comes!
-Once, she made me watch a dancing Robin Hood thing...
-Junior, behave...
-It was scary... He was always smiling... like this...
-Why don't you get yourself a soda in the fridge?
-Seriously, he was dancing on a tree, and then a bear appeared...
-Do you want some Ice Cream, honey?
-It was a bear and a deer, and they were smiling too...

I think you can picture my childhood drama... Anyway, in Brazil we used to have a lot of european screenings (and we still do), so I remember not understanding Fellini from a very young age...
And Goddard and Fassbinder...
Polanski (european and american phases)...
And boobs. Lotsaboobs in european and brazilian films.
Lotsacrap too...
But no doubt that american cinema made a huge impact in every brazilian kid aspiring to be a stubborn filmmaker...
I remember watching Elia Kazan's (Steinbeck's) Viva Zapata! on TV after Spielberg's Jaws (same night on TV)... pretty weird memory...
And I still remember all those Donald Duck cartoons in the theatres...
But I'm not quite sure what specific film gave me the itches...

Rick Bravo November 23rd, 2004 07:09 AM

My Father...my Grandfather

http://www.rbravo.com/new_page_1.htm

RB

Brad Mills January 21st, 2005 01:56 AM

My first inspiration was Jim Carrey. I was always into comedy, but Jim Carrey made me want to pursue it as a carreer.

When we're talking about movies specifically, the most inspirational thing so far was reading 'From Reel to Deal' by Dov S-S Simens

Glen Chua February 4th, 2005 05:59 PM

Since I was a little kid, I'd been telling stories. You know, like wild stories of why the toliet seat was left up, or why my room was messy. In elementary school, I began writing short stories. I think it was in grade two that my dad bought our family a Hi8 video camera. I remembered I was attatched to that camera and filmed everything. I figured that I could tell stories even better by showing it, so I made my very first movie at the tender age of 8. Steven Spielberg's movies have been inspirational to me, especially Jurrasic Park. I'd have to say though, the most inspirational thing for me, where my movies come from, are the things in my life. A lot of my movies have a bit which is based on something that has happened in my life. Now at the age of 17, I've recieved 2 award nominations in BC (where I am from), 2 award nominations in Alberta, Calgary, and have won Best Film and Best of the Festival at a Film fest also in Calgary. Making movies is my life. It's never been for me nor my crew, about the awards. It's always been about having fun and getting the story told.

John A. Davies April 8th, 2005 12:39 PM

I started making films in high school for no real reason and discovered directors later on that I love. Some of my favorites (most inspiring)
-Walter Hill
-Jon Carpenter
-Robert Rodriguez
-Quinton Terrantino
-Sergio Leone
-Sergio Corbuci
-Enzo Castellarie
-Coen Brothers
-Dario Argento
I think that the music by Ennio Morricone has inspired me more than most movies.

Tracy Graziano June 27th, 2005 03:39 PM

Well, somehow i went from being a painting major to doing wildlife & science docs...
I had a photo teacher that encouraged me to take a film class after looking at a series of my prints. She thought the prints together told a story. So i hopped on over to the film dept., picked up a Bolex, and it's been downhill ever since :) I was also a biology student due to my love of the enviornment. So I melded the two, and off to grad school I went, getting a master's degree in what else but "Science & Natural History Filmmaking."
My favorite films:
animation--
Nausicaa, Watership Down, The Secret of NIMH, The Last Unicorn, The Nightmare Before Christmas...
live action--
Legend (directors cut), Crouching Tiger..., Elizabeth, Fight Club, From Hell, Dances With Wolves, Legends of the Fall, The 13th Warrior, Dracula...
basically anything "historical," or having to do with legends or fantasy are my favorites. I usually look for good cinematography, though.
Nature films are another beastie. Most of the stuff on TV (in the US) is junk, I think. That's why the MFA program got started, to improve the way in which the media communicates the sciences. We'll see if we change the world (or at least US broadcasters).... For now, I'm addicted to the Science Channel.

Andresia Garnier July 25th, 2005 12:24 AM

Well as far back as I can remember, after seeing Disney's The Little Mermaid, I said "I want to be an animator!". I then would draw a Disney-esq character and record each frame with the video camera. Many years later in college (Seneca), I was introduced to digital art and video. I made some short animated clips in 3DS Max and Premiere. What I made back then is so cheesy but my love for video stuck. Presently I'm back in school and recently did a music video, which I'm quite pleased with. The things that inspire me are movies like Crouching Tiger, Hero and some american & japanese music videos. In it's way music is another... with some songs images pop into my head and then that's what gets me started on making a video for it.