DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   These Are the People in Your Neighborhood (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/these-people-your-neighborhood/)
-   -   Who's got time for a newbie?? Need a Mentor! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/these-people-your-neighborhood/17456-whos-got-time-newbie-need-mentor.html)

Douglas Habib November 22nd, 2003 02:29 PM

Who's got time for a newbie?? Need a Mentor!

Got lost, wandered in here.
Gave up on digital photography; much too competitive.
I'm willing to face the challenge of establishing a profitable video business; don't know where to start. That's it. No aspirations for glory, just lookin' for income. Haven't spent a dime yet; not sure of equipment needs. Which are determined by market(?).
I need someone to advise me about this. How to, what to, when to sort of stuff. Like most people, some of my luckiest endeavors have been impulsive, and I'm at it again. Need a challenge and an income source. Wanna help? (OR am I just out in left field?)

Barry Gilbert November 22nd, 2003 05:24 PM

Welcome

You could not have found a better place to start. I have only been doing this for a short time so I can't be a mentor but there are more than enough people in here that can answer any question you have. If you are willing to read you can find most answers by doing a search. Give it a little while and you will be among friends in no time.

Frank Granovski November 22nd, 2003 05:41 PM

You can get some great information from some of the links here: http://www.dvfreak.com/links.htm

(videouniversity, bealecorner are 2 good links that have wedding tips.)

Don Berube November 22nd, 2003 06:13 PM

Re: Who's got time for a newbie?? Need a Mentor!

>>><<<-- Originally posted by Douglas Habib : Got lost, wandered in here.
Gave up on digital photography; much too competitive.

- If you think that Digital Photography is competitive, then welcome to the Wonderful World of Video Production and Filmmaking,,, heh

You'll find competition everywhere in any field... The key is to find a niche market which allows you to make a profit at doing what you enjoy the most while adding as much 'added value' as you possibly can. You just need to be more proactive -and- remain positive and increase your work ethic. Also, you need to realize that this world is a very small world and everything is converging... all thanks to digital technology. This world is a very small, intimate community of people who enjoy practicing their craft. The people you meet and greet now, regardless of their level of skill, are the very same people you will be collaborating with to some degree in the future, some even decades from now. It takes years to build a profitable business and it takes many, many more years to become a Master at what you do - just like it does in any profession... But, persisitence is key. In the meantime you can still learn your craft by working freelance and learning how to make contacts and network and all the other 'things' that you need to pick up and assemble and more importantly adopt and make your own. Who you know is sometimes just as important as what you know and the people that are in the position of hiring you don't always care about how much you know, sometimes they want to know about how much you care. This is all about commitment. How committed are you to being the best Artisan that you can be? What is your mission statement???

Remember, at the end of the day, hopefully what the end product will be is a piece of Art. This is also a trade and we are all Tradespeople of varying degrees. This takes eons of commitment and perseverance and this has to come from you and no one else. If you are doing this for the money - do yourself a favor and get out now. This isn't about the money, it is about the need to create and express yourself. This is not something that you can just learn in one easy post. Saddle up and enjoy the ride because as one very ingenious person once said decades ago "The journey is the reward."
http://www.programming-reviews.com/S...55802378X.html

- don

Douglas Habib November 22nd, 2003 06:46 PM

Thanks, guys. Your comments are deeply appreciated.
Those links at dvFreak are overwhelming; perhaps too technical for a quick start. I don't doubt their value, however.
That's interesting to be referred to a "wedding tips" area; is that a consistent, viable market? I don't mind jumping in with both feet first, just need to ascertain there's adequate water in the pool. It's too damn easy to be "all dressed up with nowhere to go". For what I suspect are many of you, with your current experience how would you start NOW? or run in the opposite direction? Seriously; take a moment to consider this.
Then, if you would; advise ME. It's deeply appreciated.

Douglas Habib November 22nd, 2003 07:05 PM

Don, you posted as I was composing. (Kinda wish the timing was less co-incedental; but it proves your post.)
Seeing your overview is perhaps the perspective I'm still denying; there IS nothing new under the sun. Yes; I've been around the block, and know how the world works. Frequently everything IS a grind. (The "sale" starts when the client says no)
Mission Statement? Committment? Pro-active? BT,DT.
But I am MOST impacted by the re-iteration of the basics; I guess they apply universally. Needed to hear that. Thanks Don, for a moment that will take longer to absorb.

Frank Granovski November 22nd, 2003 08:18 PM

Quote:

...perhaps too technical for a quick start. I don't doubt their value.
Since you are a skilled photographer, you'll find that there is a lot over overlap with videography. Besides, reading isn't difficult? You asked for advice? You have to start from somewhere, and don't expect to know what you are doing overnight or make money.

Guest November 23rd, 2003 01:02 AM

I will throw caution to the wind and give you my all time best advice.

Teach it to others! Yes that’s what I said it sounds weird at first then you think of it this way the more you teach the more you learn the more you learn the more you make.
I am not saying it’s easy matter of fact it’s harder than you think yet I have done this philosophy three times in my life. All three I self taught myself through training others.