DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   These Are the People in Your Neighborhood (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/these-people-your-neighborhood/)
-   -   Hello from Dubai (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/these-people-your-neighborhood/17482-hello-dubai.html)

Nick Bowles November 23rd, 2003 07:03 AM

Hello from Dubai

Hi Everyone,

I'm a beginner living in Dubai. I was hoping that there may be a few others in the region!

I have been on the forum for a while and have been reading all the wisdom from the rest of the members. From this is have bought most of my equipment from suggested retailers via the web. I've ended up buying an Xm2 (excellent machine!) and all the bits that need to get me started (I thought the camera was expensive, but no one really warned me about the extra's!!)

I'm starting to focus on setting up my editing system, which is proving quite difficult as there is not much editing equipment over here and it's my first system!

I'll be filming outdoors, mainly fishing video's and motorcross. I've bought the rain covers, polariod lenses etc but if anyone is in the region or if anyone has any tips they want to part with I'd be grateful!!

Cheers,
Nick

Imran Zaidi November 23rd, 2003 01:54 PM

DUBAI!!! I was born there! I actually lived in the neighboring emirate Abu Dhabi for several years before I moved to the US.

How is that place these days? Is there an actual film presence there at all? Also, there's some remarkable fishing down there in the Gulf. I'm getting hungry just thinking about all the fish I grew up eating...

Welcome aboard!

Nick Bowles November 24th, 2003 02:22 AM

Thanks Imran.

Dubai is really great these days. I've been here a couple of years and the place is growing like wild fire. There are internet cities, media cities, trade free zones etc. A really exciting place to be. The outdoor activities are excellent with only a few cloudy days a year. I've been doing quite a bit of sailfishing and kingfishing, so the staple diet is fish!!

I've been trying to find people and companies that deal with film and production, but I'm not having much luck. There are a few companies, but they have not given me any replies. Hence me getting all my info from this and other forums. But I'm enjoying the filming, so nothing wrong!

Cheers

Rob Lohman November 24th, 2003 02:05 PM

Welcome aboard Nick! The XM2 is indeed a very nice machine.
Accessories can add to the total costs pretty much. But the nice
thing is that you can start shooting right away and edit with
a firewire capable computer. There is quite a lot to learn on the
camera (manual controls being one) and you can perhaps
safe some money during that time to get some other things
like a tripod for example.

We are all scraping the little pennies to buy the next thing <g>

Good luck and show us some footage from that part of the
world sometime, okay?