DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   These Are the People in Your Neighborhood (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/these-people-your-neighborhood/)
-   -   Missouri Ozarks Guy (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/these-people-your-neighborhood/17723-missouri-ozarks-guy.html)

David James November 29th, 2003 06:14 PM

Missouri Ozarks Guy

Well I have logged in as a guest many times and now a new member. Great bunch of people meet here, glad I am a part of this site.

While not working as a professional videographer I have photographic (the professional kind) experience. I worked as a photographic reporter while in Berlin, Germany and other parts of Europe and was in management for a national photo finisher here in the U.S. for several years. I have only recently become interested in videography,digital medium, and am very happy I have found this great well of information and experience.

A couple of personal notes: I am a middle aged male, a registered nurse working at a rural area hospital, happily married with two grown "kids", enjoy learning new things, techy toys, riding horseback, hiking, and especially still photography and now videography.

Am learning how to use my new pana dv953. I choose this camera as it lets me learn some manual adjustments while not spending a lot of $$$. Hope to get what will be equal to dvx100 in next couple of years. again learning premiere for editing and some dvd authoring software...........I'm green as grass and I know it......I am looking forward to meeting some of you fine folks as time goes by.

Dave

Rob Belics November 29th, 2003 11:09 PM

Hey!

I live in St. Charles but have a place in Eldon. Actually Tuscumbia.

Jeff Farris November 30th, 2003 08:50 AM

I grew up Southeast of Springfield (Ava), but currently I am stuck in Kansas City. I'm seriously considering moving to Springfield again. Good to see I won't be the only videographer there. ;^)

Rob Lohman December 2nd, 2003 06:02 PM

Welcome aboard David! Please fill your location field as well. Thanks.

Eric Reynolds December 4th, 2003 06:33 PM

Nice to see some people from MO. here... I am in Springfield and shoot on a panasonic dv852 and sony vx2000

Gary McClurg July 11th, 2005 08:21 AM

From a film festival started here in Springfield, MO.

We've formed a group called the CINEmerge Entertainment Group.

Its to help with the festival and independent film or video producers.

We're going to have some industry people come and lecture in the near future.

We do have two events for July and August.

Then in September where going to have a director from Hollywood giving a workshop on directing.

Just have to work out a few details before we say who the director is.

You can check out the site at

www.cinemergegroup.com

Lorinda Norton October 20th, 2005 11:25 AM

Ozarks!

Hi Guys,

I'm trying to make up my mind about meeting some friends who are traveling to North Arkansas--little towns named Harrison, Marshall, etc. They're all driving right now; I'd be flying in on Oct. 28 and leaving Oct. 31.

Several questions for you (sorry, I couldn't find anyone from AR to ask):

Might the leaves still be on the trees by next week? I can't imagine there will be much to do during the daytime and I'll take my camera if there's a chance I'll catch some fall colors. I'm doing a Bluegrass music video and could use some authentic Ozark shots.

How's the drive from Little Rock up north? Any of you ever been on it?

And most importantly (don't laugh....okay, go ahead and laugh), do I need to be afraid driving through Arkansas by myself? :)

Joe Carney October 20th, 2005 02:19 PM

Lorinda, I grew up in Arkansas and can help you with that.
1. Yes you can drive by yourself, most folks are very friendly, but that doesn't mean you don't take the same attitude toword protection you would any where else. By andlarge though, nothing to worry about. Hillbillies are from the Appalachians, not the Ozarks. My wifes family comes from Mountain Home and other areas all around Northern Ar, Southern MO. My late step fathers family comes from Ruby, Harrison, Fayeteville and other points.
My Mom ,Sister and one brother live in Little Rock, Sherwood and Jacksonville.

Most folks in that area of the country are down to earth, good people.

2. The drive from Little Rock up to Harrison is easy, good scenic roads (I've been to Harrison when Dogpatch USA was there) once you leave Interstate 40.. Leaves are still on the trees and it's a beautiful time to drive.

3. The bluegrass festival is very popular, so expect traffic when you get close to town.
4. Bring your camera.

Lorinda Norton October 20th, 2005 02:35 PM

Perfect!

Joe, you always seem to come along at just the right time! I was hovering over the "purchase ticket" button on a flight--trying to decide if it was really a good idea or not--then decided to come here for one last check. Now my mind is made up. Ah'm goin'. :)

Thank you so much!!!

Edit: You read my mind completely--answered EVERY question in my mind! Hillbillies... ;)

Mike Teutsch October 20th, 2005 02:54 PM

I lived on Table Rock Lake, in Shell Knob, MO. for about two years in the late 70s and early 80s. Southern Mo., close to the AR border. A very beautiful area and most of the people are very friendly. Worst thing was wearing your arm out as you drove, because everyone waved to everyone else, friends and strangers! Of course that was 25 years ago. Damn, I'm getting old!

Just be prepared for twisty, winding, narrow, beautiful roads.

Enjoy yourself!

Mike

Lorinda Norton October 20th, 2005 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Teutsch
Just be prepared for twisty, winding, narrow, beautiful roads.

Oh, man---makes me wish I could take my own car! It loves those kinds of roads.

Thanks for the info (and the encouragement!). They say time stands still in places like that. I'll be happy to see some friendly, waving folks; driving in unfamiliar territory alone generally isn't my thing.

And you're not old! (Although, you haven't returned my latest email. Did ya forget?? LOL!) ;)

Mike Teutsch October 20th, 2005 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lorinda Norton
Oh, man---makes me wish I could take my own car! It loves those kinds of roads.

Thanks for the info (and the encouragement!). They say time stands still in places like that. I'll be happy to see some friendly, waving folks; driving in unfamiliar territory alone generally isn't my thing.

And you're not old! (Although, you haven't returned my latest email. Did ya forget?? LOL!) ;)

Lorinda,

I have been busy and contemplating some changes, that is all! Email on the way. Better than your own car, how about a motorcycle?!?!?!?!?!? Would love to go there also, but have company coming into town---darn! My Dad used to have a one or two bedroom cabin on about a 150 foot cliff on Shell Knob lake, what a view! I would loved to have it now. I think he paid $12,000 for it, maybe less. Rock construction and fireplace----man!!!

Have fun.

Mike

Take care Lady!

Mike

Lorinda Norton November 1st, 2005 01:31 AM

What a weekend! Thanks to your advice, Joe and Mike (and thanks for the off-board emails, Will!) I had a great time in the Arkansas Ozarks. Too bad they're in a drought, but it was still beautiful, and I got some good shots for the music video of our band.

The first night trying to find the band at a little church in Lead Hill got kind of scary, but you were right--all the folks I talked to along the way (stopped four times for directions!) were so kind. I opted against stopping at the places that had old pickup trucks jacked up in the front yard. ;)

I can see why people love it there--I met some real characters and ate some good home-cookin'. (Fried okra--yum!!!) But why is it that multiple individuals are referred to as "all ya'll?" :)

Mike Teutsch November 1st, 2005 06:55 AM

Welcome back!

Lorinda,

Glad your safely home again, and sounds like the trip went well. On those pickup trucks though, you have to check on how high the grass is under and around them, and whether they are on temporary or permanant type blocks! :) Sorry about the drought, but was still probably a good show. Any clips of that music video coming up?

Write you later.

Mike

Gary McClurg April 13th, 2006 01:12 PM

I'm from Springfield or I live in Springfield...

Been stuck in California doing production work... did two commericals for Universal and still working on a feature film... we're in post... but we have to do some re-shoots next week...

So I'm thinking about shooting a feature back in Missouri (Springfield) so I was wondering how much of a crew base we have back there...

A friend wants me to bring the production to upstate New York... he has someone who will do all the post... sound mixing... on-lining... etc as his investment in the project... plus he can get me a Cine Alta for the shoot as well... so still thinking on that...

But I'd like to keep it around Springfield... I guess I miss home...