2 years on the board, and I have not said Hi at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood

These Are the People in Your Neighborhood
Introduce yourself! Who you are, what you're doing & using.

Old January 17th, 2004, 08:23 AM   #1
Wrangler

2 years on the board, and I have not said Hi

Hello all people,

Well I haven’t written an introduction to myself even though I’ve been a member of this board for over 2 years now. I have to congratulate Chris Hurd for bringing this to us and making it an extremely good, comprehensive source for budding filmmakers – Cheers Chris. I must not forget to say cheers to the wranglers/ moderators for keeping this place clean!!!

Well now about me…
I’m 20 years old and currently work full-time as a support engineer for a company that manufactures video broadcast servers. If you’re not sure what one is, its more than likely putting the pictures you see on your TV right this minute. Think of it as a web server except instead of hosting web pages it hosts’ television programmes and adverts, which you can then schedule for your television channels. We have many of these through out the world purchased by some vary famous TV channels.

The reason I joined the forum was so I could learn about the XL1 I brought 6 months previously at the age of 17. I have now managed to a-mass various bits and pieces for the camera – Wireless mics, MA 200 XLR adapter, 5.6” LCD monitor and audio mixer. I also have a highly specified editing machine running Premiere, to throw together all the footage I shoot. Thanks guys for making me spend all that money!!!

The plan was to try and make money with the camera - Which I found to be really hard or I might be really lazy. At the age of 17 I was doing a course in media studies and started to learn various editing/ camera techniques as well as a broad over view of the industry – In fact I knew more than the teachers half the time. At this time I was also working as a shop assistant for a famous photographic retailer (where I got my XL1 for a very nice price).

One day the press officer for the local theatre came in to purchase some film for their camera. We got talking and I mentioned that I brought a top of the range camcorder and whether I would be able to film some of their productions. To my amazement she said yes. From there I have filmed about 5 productions for them. During this time I also met up with a guy who had been doing trampoline videos, and so have edited and filmed many of those as well. But unfortunately I have not made enough money to make this full-time, or cover the costs of the equipment. It’s become a serious hobby that makes me a bit of extra cash every now and again, and I’m happy with that.

My main ambition is to produce a short movie with what I have, and to work for a famous TV company. Oh yeah and also to become a multi millionaire! Which one do you reckon I’ll reach first?

I hope my knowledge has helped people on this forum and I hope it continues to help people. And thanks to all those people who have helped answer some of my q’s.

Cheers,

Ed

Good things come to those who wait

My Skiing web www.Frostytour.co.uk

For quick answers Search dvinfo.net | The best in the business: dvinfo.net Sponsors
Ed Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2004, 09:00 AM   #2
RED Code Chef

Thanks for the introduction Ed and good luck with your movie production!

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2004, 10:00 AM   #3
Wrangler

Re: 2 years on the board, and I have not said Hi

<<<-- Originally posted by Ed Smith : Oh yeah and also to become a multi millionaire! Which one do you reckon I’ll reach first? -->>>

One of my favorite lines from Citizen Kane: "It's not difficult to make a lot of money, if all you want to do is make a lot of money."

Welcome Ed, nice to see you stepping out of the shadows. Good luck with all your plans and dreams!
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2004, 03:17 AM   #4
Wrangler

Thanks Rob and Boyd for your kind comments.

Ed

For quick answers Search dvinfo.net | The best in the business: dvinfo.net Sponsors
Ed Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2004, 08:43 AM   #5
Obstreperous Rex

Well, it's about time we heard from you, Ed -- thanks for the nice little bio and best of luck to you. As a person who has taped several theatrical productions in the past, I can certainly identify with that experience. Cheers to achieving all of your goals in a timely manner!

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2004, 08:57 AM   #6
Wrangler

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your kind comments. Any chance of a knight-hood!!! ;-)

Thanks,

Ed

Ed Smith is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood